Where to buy clip-on sunglasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wearing eyeglasses since I was 12 years old and am now wearing bifocals. I have new glasses that work fine but I need to find a non-polarized clip-on sunglasses attachment for driving. The only one I have now is polarized and I can not see the display on the radio in my truck very well. It washes out half of the numbers and letters. I have an even worse problem with viewing any other digital display like on a gas pump or cell phone, can't see those at all unless I remove my sunglasses clip.

I have looked all over the internet and am unable to find non-polarized clip -on sunglasses anywhere. I can not wear contacts so am unable to use regular sunglasses. I did a test with my wife's non-polarized sunglasses and although the display on my radio was not clear at all it did not wash out like it does with my eyeglasses and clip-ons.

I have been putting up with this for a long time and would appreciate the help if anyone here knows where to buy or order non-polarized clip-on sunglasses.

Look at Yorktowne Optical: http://www.yorktowneoptical.com/Productlines/INSTANTSUNGLASSES.aspx

These aren't clip-on. They fit behind your regular glasses, wrap around the sides, are available in polarized and non polarized versions, and the price is right. Good optical quality but they are susceptible to scratching. I've been using them for years. I buy a bunch at a time and don't worry if they get lost or scratched because they are inexpensive.

Originally Posted By: R_W_M
Look at Yorktowne Optical: http://www.yorktowneoptical.com/Productlines/INSTANTSUNGLASSES.aspx

These aren't clip-on. They fit behind your regular glasses, wrap around the sides, are available in polarized and non polarized versions, and the price is right. Good optical quality but they are susceptible to scratching. I've been using them for years. I buy a bunch at a time and don't worry if they get lost or scratched because they are inexpensive.

Thanks! Looks like those may be exactly what I need, at $3.75 it is sure worth a try..Thanks for your help, I never heard of Yorktown before.

I don't think the optical quality of those 'slip-in'things is all that good. I like these 'fit-over' sunglasses called Polar Optic I bought at Walmart. $25 is definitely more money but they are easy to use and take care of and work well. I like them so much I bought a second one so I have a choice between gray and amber.

Clip ons seem to get lost and you have to find a model that fits your particular pair of glasses, which is kind of a pain.

I wore the same prescription sunglasses for a decade plus, despite my prescription changing a bit over that time. Didn't need it to be spot on, didn't bother me, so I waited and got ten years out of cheap frames before replacing.

I ordered my last set thro Zenni. Seem to be ok, certainly cheap enough to try.

Originally Posted By: datech
I don't think the optical quality of those 'slip-in'things is all that good. I like these 'fit-over' sunglasses called Polar Optic I bought at Walmart. $25 is definitely more money but they are easy to use and take care of and work well. I like them so much I bought a second one so I have a choice between gray and amber.

Clip ons seem to get lost and you have to find a model that fits your particular pair of glasses, which is kind of a pain.

Thanks anyway but Polar Optics are polarized, and Walmart does not sell a non-polarized version. I already have a Polar Optic clip on, it is one of two clip ons that I have been using for a while now and just dealing with the problem. I will try the Yorktown and if it is no good well it did not cost much to find out.

Originally Posted By: supton
I wore the same prescription sunglasses for a decade plus, despite my prescription changing a bit over that time. Didn't need it to be spot on, didn't bother me, so I waited and got ten years out of cheap frames before replacing.

I ordered my last set thro Zenni. Seem to be ok, certainly cheap enough to try.

I ordered polarized sunglasses through zenni and they screwed up the order! The polarization was not in the same plane from the left lense to the right. Needless to say they were a trip to wear and I sent 'em back.

When I wear polarized glasses, I cock my head to read stuff I need to. What gets me, driving, are those repetitive dots in glass from the tempering process.

Yeah I noticed that, how glass can look weird. And one time I had a ham radio that had the LCD polarized wrong, so I had to cock my head to read it. Forget now if these glasses I have are polarized or not.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Originally Posted By: R_W_M

Thanks! Looks like those may be exactly what I need, at $3.75 it is sure worth a try..Thanks for your help, I never heard of Yorktown before.

Well Yorktown requires a $25.00 minimum purchase and I don't need that many pairs. Walgreens sells a similar clip-behind non polarized set for $2.79:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/optic-s...2452508-product

I just ordered two of them online. Hopefully they will work well.

Thanks again.

The biggest advantage of a flip-on is that it makes going through tunnels in the middle of the day lot easier than clip-on or dedicated prescription sunglasses.

Yes, flip-on looks dorky (like giant eye lids!) but gives the best functionality when you are continuously moving between high sun and heavy shadows scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back