Where Is The Ammunition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to my local gun guy recently who said his supplier told him the ammo shortage will most likely continue for another 12-18 months. He has stopped selling ammo by itself. He's only selling up to 100 rounds with a purchase of a gun.

This has been a cyclic occurrence since the early 2000's and one needs to merely recognize the "symptoms" and act in time to prevent it from happening to you. Not so long ago ammunition was plentiful (9MM was $7.00 a box regularly) and reloading supplies were readily available.

The old adage "buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep" absolutely applies to this situation. Stored properly, reloading supplies last decades and ammunition is the same. I have WWII .30 M1 Carbine ammunition that goes bang every time I shoot it and I have reloading supplies from the late 80's that I still use and it reliably functions.

Things will return to some semblance of normal, but it is going to be years before that happens. The dissolution of Remington does not help this as it will take Vista (Federal) a while to assimilate the assembly lines and (re)ramp up production. Just make a future note to buy when it does!

From a defense standpoint, it's not really an issue for me. I live next to a country club in the "upper" part of town. The last time a break-in happened in this neighborhood was 2013 and that was a dispute between two teenagers. I have a few boxes of defense rounds though.

For me, it's just missed range time. I have a small supply of ammo, but don't want to shoot it right now because I don't know if I can replenish it. I need to get into reloading. Until the pandemic put everything on lockdown back in the spring, I was going to the range once a month at least.

I need to get into reloading.
I would opine that with reloading supplies not being available, that you will see "sales" on reloading systems/tools in the near future. I would keep an eye out for them and would buy at that time. You may also see some "part-time" reloaders start to sell systems too. Dillon systems are arguably the "best" and with the lifetime "no-BS" warranty, they stand behind everything they sell. I have used Dillon since the late 90's and they are my "go-to" supplier for reloading systems.

Hoarding is good the people that were called hoarders buying ammo when it was at rock bottom prices and plentiful have ammo to shoot. Those that "live out of the store" are ammo less,,, boo hoo.

I would opine that with reloading supplies not being available, that you will see "sales" on reloading systems/tools in the near future. I would keep an eye out for them and would buy at that time. You may also see some "part-time" reloaders start to sell systems too. Dillon systems are arguably the "best" and with the lifetime "no-BS" warranty, they stand behind everything they sell. I have used Dillon since the late 90's and they are my "go-to" supplier for reloading systems.
A huge yes on the Dillon products and I have the parts for 35,000 rounds waiting to be reloaded as needed. 4 years at my present rate of use.

I only have about 200 rounds.
I have a 1911.
Plus. I have the Local Police Dept. two miles from my house. And they are good.
Good for now. If the poop hits the fan those cops may be too busy to get to you in time.

Remember that I live in the boonies out in the desert.

A year or so back we had an issue and my wife called 911. It took the Sheriff 12 HOURS to get to us! By that time us and the neighbors had gotten the problem under control and handled.

The Sheriff that showed up said that he was super busy and was taking calls in the order they were reported. There was a full 12 hrs of calls ahead of ours.

I had a neighbour named Chris. His bother Bob came to visit. Bob said to me, “You know, my brother Chris is the best neighbour you can possibly have”. I said “ Really? How’s that?”. Bob said ”When something is wrong, Chris doesn’t phone the police. He just takes care of it himself.” True story.

Good for now. If the poop hits the fan those cops may be too busy to get to you in time.

Remember that I live in the boonies out in the desert.

A year or so back we had an issue and my wife called 911. It took the Sheriff 12 HOURS to get to us! By that time us and the neighbors had gotten the problem under control and handled.

The Sheriff that showed up said that he was super busy and was taking calls in the order they were reported. There was a full 12 hrs of calls ahead of ours.
Well it is Not a problem for ME being near the center of an old colonial town.
And nothing is going to hit the fan. Silly. Paranoid.
Everyone has guns and ammo up here. Constitutional carry.
Nobody is messing with nobody.

D0E1D3D6-3DE5-4704-9D87-42018B63984A.jpeg

Well it is Not a problem for ME being near the center of an old colonial town.
And nothing is going to hit the fan. Silly. Paranoid.
Everyone has guns and ammo up here. Constitutional carry.
Nobody is messing with nobody.
There are many reasons for a poo hitting the fan here. I can see the San Andreas fault from my front door. If we had "the big one" and needed 911 they may be too busy to get to us immediatly.

My house sits on another smaller fault.

Most folks here are scared of guns. Cant even openvcarry on you're own property if OuTSIDE you're house. Concealled carry requires a ccw license which is nearly impossible to get.

Growing up in Casper Wyoming you buy what you want when you want it. It's not hoarding it's being prepared. There will come a time when running to Walmart isn't a tangible thing. Probably now why I love Tonganoxie!! No Tyson or Walmart!!

I keep a semi auto CO2 19 round bb pistol handy. I figure 19 rounds at 440 FPS is better than throwing rocks.

Better shoot them in the eye or you're just going to p___ them off. I wouldn't want to have use deadly force but, if I did I wouldn't want to use anything less than 9mm and then I'd want a couple well placed shots. There are too many people hopped up drugs, etc. that will keep fighting if you don't get in a disabling shot.

We have constitutional carry too but, it doesn't apply to being in a vehicle. In that case it has to be in a factory installed compartment such as glove box, console, or seat/door pouch. We just got constitutional carry a few years ago and they failed to include revisions to the previous laws on possession while in the car. Only way you can carry on your body in a car here is with CCW permit. I keep a 9mm 17+1 handy when I'm home and my carry gun is 9mm 8+1 both loaded with hollow points. I feel much safer at 1000+ FPS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back