Where do you buy orings?

LavaRand

I need an o-ring for the idle air valve in my van. It's a pretty big one about 3 inches in diameter and about 3/16 thick.

They won't sell me just the o-ring, I have to buy a whole new valve for $100. Which is BS. So I'm trying to find an oring. But all the hardware stores around here don't have a proper oring cabinet, and if they do have orings, they can't even tell me what material they are, and they definitely need to be gas and oil resistant.

Had a similar problem on an '09 Focus upper rad hose. Refused to buy an entire new hose for a leaky o-ring -- these fancy new hoses ain't cheap.

I finally sourced 2 different Dorman (ugh, I know) assortments on Amazon and one of those worked. I left a review accordingly hoping to maybe help other owners of said vehicle.

I think I spent maybe $9.99 and $6.99 on the assortments....so still better than ~$40 for a hose I didn't need. Plus, it's just the principle of it......

You might want to (gently) put a caliper on that existing o-ring, 3/16 = 0.187 which falls between "standard" sizes. By your measuring, a #234 might work. While you're at it, measure the throttle body to get an exact size.

If you don't mind the vehicle being out of service, and your o-ring really is shot, cut it, measure the length, divide by pi.

Last edited:
I need an o-ring for the idle air valve in my van. It's a pretty big one about 3 inches in diameter and about 3/16 thick.

They won't sell me just the o-ring, I have to buy a whole new valve for $100. Which is BS. So I'm trying to find an oring. But all the hardware stores around here don't have a proper oring cabinet, and if they do have orings, they can't even tell me what material they are, and they definitely need to be gas and oil resistant.
McMaster Carr. They even have a tutorial how to measure them. Fastenal carries a wide selection too. I've even found them at AutoZone in the Help! section. But in you case I would try McMaster Carr first its on line so its fast

I'm guessing it's supposed to be 4mm diameter and 60mm ID.

McMaster has one but it doesn't deliver until Thursday. I'll have to try some local farm stores tomorrow.

McMaster Carr or we have a couple really good hydraulic shops close by that can make one or probably have it in stock. I also have a kit to make them in an extreme bind. Most of the stuff I work on has all of the O rings readily available from the dealer(OTR trucks and heavy equipment)

NAPA, CASE/IH, JOHN DEERE, CATERPILLAR, etc.

I get mine at Harbor Freight. Not sure if they are oil or gas resistant though but they do work good when needed.
I would not buy o-rings at Harbor Freight. They could be made of cheap rubber. Their nut and bolt assortment are substandard quality steel. I used two from a HF bolt assortment to try and remove a rotor from a Subaru. The threads of the HF bolt stripped when I used a wrench. A bolt from local hardware store worked fine.

Last edited:
Don't forget the aviation industry. We use Orings on everything. There are common types such as MS28775 and MS28778, within those two specs of BUTADIENE-ACRYLONITRILE Orings, you can probably find a size that fits just about anything.

if you find the right thickness but too big diameter just cut it to length and super glue ends. I have oring material on a roll and make my own at times.

Can you post a photo of O ring.

Back