Sooty deposit on half the porcelain

These are 4 out of 16 on a 6.2L Ford V8 F150. I believe they are in about 80K, truck has 190ish now. Some seem to have 1/2 the insulator covered in soot, 1/2 clear (if you turn the plug, the color changes). Some very light soot on the lower metal ring. One plug came out cracked. Some plugs had corrosion on the crimp, I read that they like to break by the hex, so I decided to remove them. External ones were Moderate - slightly difficult to remove, but they all came out - I did use penetrating oil a few times before I did it, not sure if it mattered. Next time they come out at 70K. No anti-seize used per Ford. Installed to 169 inch/lbs. Used the same Motorcraft Double Platinum Finewires(they are definitely Autolites). New Motorcraft wires (old ones were probably original, some looked a bit tattered).

Had slight rough idle when starting before, can barely feel it running now (except for the flowmaster when it starts). Feels much faster now. Also cleaned maf and TB.
Now I can get consistent mixed MPG over 15 if I drive it very easy. Was not good before 🤣
1699051773745.jpg

Most likely your new plugs may eventually look the same. I would look at fuel trims to see if the engine is running slightly rich.

Most likely your new plugs may eventually look the same. I would look at fuel trims to see if the engine is running slightly rich.
After the tune-up, cleaning MAF and TB, it barely ran for 30 seconds. Kept trying things before stalling. Then it smoothed out like a new truck. I disconnected the battery after. Definitely learned some bad habits over time. I have that fuel injector clean tank or many throw some PEA in the tank. Definitely a 2-3 mpg increase after all this.
Next the 80k Orange coolant is going. Got the Motorcraft Yellow. Ford place here talked me into buying VC-1, comes in a quart. The Tech said drain a quart, put in the VC-1, drive it for a day, Then drain it out, do two water flushes, second with distilled, and refill 50/50.

Back