2006 Honda CRV AWD Oil Leaks... 3 of them!

Globalksp

Hi all...

My well loved (176,000+ miles) and probably well abused (I'm the 9th owner and the car has lived on every coast and the midwest) '06 CRV appears to have oil and transmission fluid leaks according to the guys who did the last oil change. It hasn't been leaking badly enough that I notice much/any fluid on the garage floor.

A new-to-me, but locally well regarded shop told me that I'm leaking transmission fluid from a front axle boot, but that it's of no concern. And, that I have engine oil leaking from 3 places: "Valve cover seal, Oil pressure switch, and Oil spool valve". They want $690 to repair + $50 for diagnostic.

Aside from the valve cover gasket, I'm not familiar with the locations or severity of the types of the other leaks. I'd like to keep the car running well, but unsure how long I care to keep the car (another year or two max). Is this a "top it off as needed" resolution or "pay the money and don't be cheap" resolution?

Also, I find myself more concerned about the ATF fluid than anything else. Should I be?

Thanks all!

Hi all...

My well loved (176,000+ miles) and probably well abused (I'm the 9th owner and the car has lived on every coast and the midwest) '06 CRV appears to have oil and transmission fluid leaks according to the guys who did the last oil change. It hasn't been leaking badly enough that I notice much/any fluid on the garage floor.

A new-to-me, but locally well regarded shop told me that I'm leaking transmission fluid from a front axle boot, but that it's of no concern. And, that I have engine oil leaking from 3 places: "Valve cover seal, Oil pressure switch, and Oil spool valve". They want $690 to repair + $50 for diagnostic.

Aside from the valve cover gasket, I'm not familiar with the locations or severity of the types of the other leaks. I'd like to keep the car running well, but unsure how long I care to keep the car (another year or two max). Is this a "top it off as needed" resolution or "pay the money and don't be cheap" resolution?

Also, I find myself more concerned about the ATF fluid than anything else. Should I be?

Thanks all!

So you are the 9th owner, this car averaged an owner every 2.125 years, going by the other 8 owners.

Good Luck!

So you are the 9th owner, this car averaged an owner every 2.125 years, going by the other 8 owners.

Good Luck!
Hahaha... yes. Was in a pickle (car totaled during peak of covid supply issues + price hikes) and had to go for it. First mechanic joked, "I hope she didn't wear white to the wedding!".

I have a 2004 CRV and get help you w/ the leaks.

1. Axle boot if not too bad, just monitor or replace when time comes
2. At that mileage if you going to replace the valve cover seal, check the valves. The exhaust valve have a tendency to get tight
3. The spool valve is just above the oil filter and it has the oil pressure sensor on it too. The other leak is just behind the power steering their is a plate that you need to replace the gasket. You have to removed the power steering pump and did the gasket, PCV valve just below and the tensioner w/ belt

2. At that mileage if you going to replace the valve cover seal, check the valves. The exhaust valve have a tendency to get tight
3. The spool valve is just above the oil filter and it has the oil pressure sensor on it too. The other leak is just behind the power steering their is a plate that you need to replace the gasket. You have to removed the power steering pump and did the gasket, PCV valve just below and the tensioner w/ belt
Very helpful. Thank you.

Those 3 items are stupid easy to resolve on a K24. If I was paying someone, I would also do a valve adjustment while the cover is off.

Though, I'm not so sure about the "trans fluid from axle boot" comment. Axle seal?
Critic is correct...it's less than $70 in aftermarket parts and approximately 1.5 hrs. of labor (working at a lei
Those 3 items are stupid easy to resolve on a K24. If I was paying someone, I would also do a valve adjustment while the cover is off.

Though, I'm not so sure about the "trans fluid from axle boot" comment. Axle sea
surely pace).

Here is a video that shows you how to replace the VTEC spool valve gasket (~$6 for OEM Honda dealer part):

K24 VTEC Spool Valve Gasket Leak

Although the oil pressure switch on top of the VTEC spool valve has an O-ring gasket, I have NEVER seen one leak so I suspect that your local shop is saying the oil pressure sensor gauge switch (located below the spool valve and above the oil filter) is leaking. An aftermarket oil pressure sensor sensor is $15 from Amazon.

K24 Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement

I don't see any mention in your original post about a oil leak from the plate behind the power steering that LazyDog discusses above.

CRV Valve Cover Replacement

Fixing all three oil leaks should take ~90 minutes of labor working at a leisurely pace.

I'd also monitor the leak rate of the transmission fluid before taking action to replace the axle seal.

Spool valve is a gamble if replacing just the gasket. Sometimes it will reseal, sometimes the assembly is warped and you need to replace it all to stop the leak. Either way it's easy and fairly cheap to DIY.

Back