Where can I get auto paint matched?

JHZR2

Staff member
I need to repair a scuff on my Ram, which happened some time ago, long before I bought it, and has some rust on the exposed metal. Before it’s too late, I need to grind, convert, and spray. There are a few spots of clear degradation, and Id like to try my hand at some repair techniques. Essentially the rattle can approach like ChrisFix shows. My truck doesn’t have rust holes like the video, just exposed metal, and I think it will come out sufficiently.

Given age and mileage, the paint is faded. So I need to try for a match of the driftwood metallic. I don’t really care if it’s not perfect on this truck, but getting some level of match would be desirable

Do some chains, like napa, sherwin Williams, etc do matching on car, and have the ability to mix a spray paint match in store?

I don’t really want to get paint and use a gun, I’d prefer to use rattle cans.

Whats the best lead for stores that can do it?

Last edited:
I need to repair a scuff on my Ram, which happened some time ago, long before I bought it, and has some rust on the exposed metal. Before it’s too late, I need to grind, convert, and spray. There are a few spots of clear degradation, and Id like to try my hand at some repair techniques. Essentially the rattle can approach like ChrisFix shows. My truck doesn’t have rust holes like the video, just exposed metal, and I think it will come out sufficiently.

Given age and mileage, the paint is faded. So I need to try for a match of the driftwood metallic. I don’t really care if it’s not perfect on this truck, but getting some level of match would be desirable

Do some chains, like napa, sherwin Williams, etc do matching on car, and have the ability to mix a spray paint match in store?

I don’t really want to get paint and use a gun, I’d prefer to use rattle cans.

Whats the best lead for stores that can do it?

If you have a Finishmaster nearby, ask them to use their portable spectrophotometer to provide a nearly exact match to your faded paint color.http://www.finishmaster.com/locations/

They have custom mixed rattle cans...

The issue isn’t custom mixed, it’s matching to the fade of a 24 year old truck with almost a half million miles...

I've bought some custom mixed rattle can paint and found it so thin you need at least five coats to get any decent coverage and it runs very easily. I've also bought paint in a can and used the Preval system but for anything much bigger than say a fuel door, it can be quite tedious. For something like that I would do the prep work and find a local scratch repair franchise like https://www.colorsonparade.com/ and have them paint it. Shouldn't be more than $100-$150 and you would spend half that on paint and materials alone if you tried to do it.

81fLHk%2BMfFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I dont know where in NJ you are but Colours Inc has a few Jersey stores. Colours is a paint and body supplier. Take the fuel door off of your truck and take it to them with the vin and paint code to have it matched. They will be able to analyze the paint on the fuel door to determine how to modify the base mixture to match the fade

If you are in any reasonable sized area, there will be paint shops for the trade. They can mix it to the code, or shoot it and match it custom. last time I needed this I went to a local PPG shop and it was $22 for a large spray can - much cheaper than online and they will re-mix it if a problem.

Here's a locator PPG has:

I have also used duplicolor from Napa, ready to go, for things and it worked well, too.

I dont know where in NJ you are but Colours Inc has a few Jersey stores. Colours is a paint and body supplier. Take the fuel door off of your truck and take it to them with the vin and paint code to have it matched. They will be able to analyze the paint on the fuel door to determine how to modify the base mixture to match the fade

There’s a lot of those in spots that I know well.

Assuming they will allow a walk in, that will be convenient.

My truck has an aluminum welded bed, not the OE type, thus no fuel door. Im hoping some shop has a meter of some sort they can use right on the vehicle...

my local NAPA store does a great job ,will put the paint in a rattle can and best of all half the price of two other paint places here locally

I used Paintscratch.com to match 25yr old paint on an airplane. I sent them a small faring and get a can and a few pens 2 weeks later. Great match.

Ive used paint scratch before. Short of cutting metal or taking off a door, I don’t have much to remove and send them.

So to clarify my original question, do some shops do paint match on a vehicle in the parking lot?

Ive used paint scratch before. Short of cutting metal or taking off a door, I don’t have much to remove and send them.

So to clarify my original question, do some shops do paint match on a vehicle in the parking lot?
They most likely use the paint code and use given Formula

They most likely use the paint code and use given Formula
That will be close but won't match when the paint has faded. Go to any parking lot and you can see that one car which had just a bumper painted. They used the paint code but since the rest of the car faded, it stands out. Paint needs to be tinted for a perfect match but those paint color checkers come pretty close.

my local NAPA store does a great job ,will put the paint in a rattle can and best of all half the price of two other paint places here locally

Only one Napa around here does it. Its 30 minutes away... Trying a few other options first, which are trade shops and closer.

The issue isn’t custom mixed, it’s matching to the fade of a 24 year old truck with almost a half million miles...

They have custom mixed rattle cans...
I just repainted the rear hatch of a 2007 Ford Explorer. It had a number of scratches and marks from decals that were taken off. Bought one rattle can of oxford white from Automotive Touchup. As this was my first attempt at painting anything on a car, I had low expectations. After sanding with 240 grit and cleaning the hatch, I primed (white) and sanded that down smooth with 600 grit. Laid down the white rattle can touchup paint. Wet sanded with 1000. Put on 4 coats of clear coat from touchup as well. Then finally DA polished with Maguires 205 the next day. All in all for about $75 I thought it came out very well. Not perfect but way better than what was there before. Once I wax it in 60 days or so, it should be very close to the other parts of the Explorer.

That will be close but won't match when the paint has faded. Go to any parking lot and you can see that one car which had just a bumper painted. They used the paint code but since the rest of the car faded, it stands out. Paint needs to be tinted for a perfect match but those paint color checkers come pretty close.
So they pull out a handheld color Spectrophotometer like we use in the business.
20201207_062942.jpg

Back