Where can i find API SP?

All the Supertech at my local walmart was SP when I went Monday.

Hah, all but one quart of the Supertech at my local store this week was SN (no plus) - the one other quart was SN+

But Walmart Canada is slow to update labels so who knows what's actually in the bottle. My car is old enough that it doesn't matter.

Like I said, I'm not checking every single bottle and brand. I look as I go to the parts store and walmart and havent came across any. Figured it would be easier to find.
Sorry, that is actually my fault.
I have been harping on guys who can do it to move to 9-10K mile oil change intervals.
Because modern oil Can do this with no repercussions easily - in the right circumstance.
So oil purchases have dropped precipitously.
No need to break open a pallet and put the new stuff up until the old stuff gets bought up.
I would bet some nice clearance prices would have that shelf clearing effect. Maybe.

Well I did order a case of 20w50 Kendall GT1 with boosted zinc. I'm running it in a old Chrysler 318. Surprisingly it's SP rated even though it's a conventional.

since it didn't exist at the time the cars were manufactured. That will probably start with the 2021 model year.
I'd be surprised if any automaker is that fast at spec'ing SP oil. Engines take years to develop so any engine even introduced in 2021 was designed/spec'd long before any dream of SP. The only reason they might spec SP is because a) it's what 99% of oils on store shelves will be labeled so customers won't encounter a lack of availability and b) they know it's backwards-compatible with SN+, SN, SM, and so on.

Well I did order a case of 20w50 Kendall GT1 with boosted zinc. I'm running it in a old Chrysler 318. Surprisingly it's SP rated even though it's a conventional.

Alright I'm confused. I thought all Grades that are SN+/SP now have a 800 ppm phosphorus limit as of the Spring of this year? I thought the 1000 ppm limit on 40 & 50 Grade PCMO and 1200 ppm limit on dual rated HDEO CK-4 was now a thing of the past?

Although I still don't understand why people think they need it for 140 lb springs, slow ramps and .400 Lift that are broken in. With a 310/320 270/280 0.637/0637 Cam and 350 lb Springs I would understand it.

Alright I'm confused. I thought all Grades that are SN+/SP now have a 800 ppm phosphorus limit as of the Spring of this year? I thought the 1000 ppm limit on 40 & 50 Grade PCMO and 1200 ppm limit on dual rated HDEO CK-4 was now a thing of the past?

Although I still don't understand why people think they need it for 140 lb springs, slow ramps and .400 Lift that are broken in. With a 310/320 270/280 0.637/0637 Cam and 350 lb Springs I would understand it.
I thought all that to. As far as the zinc goes. I was looking for a good 20w50 brand. This one just happens to have extra zddp. Doesnt hurt and maybe it helps, so why not. $63+freeshipping for a case of 12.

:cool::cool:
I thought all that to. As far as the zinc goes. I was looking for a good 20w50 brand. This one just happens to have extra zddp. Doesnt hurt and maybe it helps, so why not. $63+freeshipping for a case of 12.

Maybe 20W-50 is no longer an ILSAC Grade which I believe would eliminate the limit?

Kendall state what the Phosphorus or Zinc Level is?

Valvoline VR1 is only around 6 TBN unless it's changed.
It's fine for limited use but maybe not ideal for a daily driver.

:cool::cool:

Maybe 20W-50 is no longer an ILSAC Grade which I believe would eliminate the limit?

Kendall state what the Phosphorus or Zinc Level is?

Valvoline VR1 is only around 6 TBN unless it's changed.
It's fine for limited use but maybe not ideal for a daily driver.

Okay, my confusion was with the statement it had an SP Certification.
After checking the ConocoPhillips Site it appears it's still SN.
1090 ppm Phosphorus & 1200 ppm Zinc.
I hope the SAE 50 and 20W-50 are not swapped.
The fact that SAE 50 is not certified and 20W-50 is makes me suspicious that the 890 & 980 ppm may actually be for the 20W-50.

Last edited:
Okay, my confusion was with the statement it had an SP Certification.

The older "Liquid Titanium" Kendall GT-1 Competition Motor Oil is listed as API SN which is what was linked above. However, the newer Kendall® GT-1 Competition Motor Oil with LiquiTek is being listed as API SP (different link than the one above), and it is listing the same 0.120 Zinc and 0.109 Phosphorus levels

>Although I still don't understand why people think they need it

For me it's 2 reasons. The first isn't that I need higher ZDDP. But if my budget for oil is $~3.50 to $4.50 per qt, why not get something that has it. Speaking as a lay person, it seems to me the reason oil manufacturers have decreased ZDDP is not because they found a superior additive, but due to catalytic converter concerns and/or regulations. Second, for me, I likely don't need that much ZDDP for anti-wear on my flat tappets, but I also like its anti-oxidation benefit for lightly driven cars. For a 20w50 conventional, I could go with Valolvine white bottle (Daily Protection) or Castrol GTX, which is what my cars had been running til I got more educated, or, for the same price, get something with more ZDDP with no downside

20200830_193938.jpg
15988308922437670499965629042497.jpg
here's the exact oil I found with SP

Back