When to stop working and retire?

If you enjoy the work and it is not stressing you out, why not? You can always take some break in between for fun and not work too many hours, instead of fully retire. My wife just quit her job because the company is circling the drain and she was losing brain cells and weight over the stress, she will find another job but if she was near retirement age and cannot find another job she would retire instead.

Some people who really needed the money will take over my wife's job, they have so much work they can get 80 hours a week (that's probably about 100 hours of pay) if they want, and for people who needed the money this may be something good for them.

Spector, my "doctor told me" that he has had numerous men retire that went downhill quickly and died soon after. Downhill because they had difficulty adjusting to all the changes of retirement and they could not cope mentally. It is hard to believe, but some men have trouble adjusting to not having the daily work routine and purpose they have followed all of their life. It's not necessarily that they were married to their job, its that they don't have the capacity to survive without the regimen. Men with terrible jobs cannot imagine this.

I've also heard of men getting terribly bored in retirement and sometimes the wife gets a job because she can't stand to be around hubby 24/7.

Yeah I can't imagine being bored in retirement. Why just for fun yesterday I went through the FDA advisory committee papers on the three vaccines and also the sponsor data to figure out which one was better. Still can't figure it out, they're apples to oranges but lots of data out there to parse. Can't imagine being bored in retirement.

If you enjoy the work and it is not stressing you out, why not? You can always take some break in between for fun and not work too many hours, instead of fully retire. My wife just quit her job because the company is circling the drain and she was losing brain cells and weight over the stress, she will find another job but if she was near retirement age and cannot find another job she would retire instead.

Some people who really needed the money will take over my wife's job, they have so much work they can get 80 hours a week (that's probably about 100 hours of pay) if they want, and for people who needed the money this may be something good for them.

What field was she working in ?

I agree to quit before she got ulcers from job.

What field was she working in ?

I agree to quit before she got ulcers from job.
She's a QA in a small pharma. The company is mismanaged and a lot of people quitted already. They didn't back fill the positions and this lead to further burn out. Had they staff the company correctly she would have stayed.

Spend 30+ hours in a classroom with 32 sixth graders next week where you are the center of attention and responsible for directing the whole class and then tell me whether you are "hard working" or not.
Actually did that but with eighth graders.A school system that could care less about teachers. As one school board member said, "here today, gone tomorrow hired hands."

She's a QA in a small pharma. The company is mismanaged and a lot of people quitted already. They didn't back fill the positions and this lead to further burn out. Had they staff the company correctly she would have stayed.

Unfortunately the ’do more with less‘ is in many industries.

Back