When to stop working and retire?

I am 67 and just started a full time job for a major hotel company on their mainframe computers since all I have done since 1976 is to work on mainframe computers. I had been a contractor at this company for the prior year so this was really a conversion. Its a pretty good job, 100% remote with good pay and the option for heavily discounted hotel rooms. I get two pensions from previous companies I have worked for along with SS. Wife is retired with a NYS pension.

So I ask myself why am I still working? I guess I like a challenge and would like to get some things accomplished. Now the question is how long do I stay at this job? When do I know it's time to go for good?

Depends on the job. If your a "hard working" government employee with an office job, or a school teacher, you get to retire at 57 in my state. If your a non union roofer or mason, you should retire at 60, but you can't because you have no gold plated benefit package.

That can only be answered by you. Everyone's disposition and circumstances are different. Some people live their entire working career just waiting, in misery, for the first opportunity to retire (can't stand their life). On the other extreme are those whose careers are a passion and lifestyle. They derive much more from their careers than just a paycheck. Some wither away after retirement because they cannot deal with the huge lifestyle change. Others retire early and live the times of their lives.

"It depends" is probably the best answer. You seemed to answer your own question by saying "I guess I like a challenge and would like to get some things accomplished."

People in situations similar to mine said to wait until you are ready, and you will know when that time comes. Just 2 years ago I was thinking that I could remain happy working until 68 or older. After this year (Covid and politics) my outlook is changing.

Depends on the job. If your a "hard working" government employee with an office job, or a school teacher, you get to retire at 57 in my state. If your a non union roofer or mason, you should retire at 60, but you can't because you have no gold plated benefit package.
Spend 30+ hours in a classroom with 32 sixth graders next week where you are the center of attention and responsible for directing the whole class and then tell me whether you are "hard working" or not.

Retire whenever you want

Chose work or the eternal honeydew list.

Some like to keep busy. The decision is yours, especially if in good enough health to continue working.

Reactions: JC1
I am 67 and just started a full time job for a major hotel company on their mainframe computers since all I have done since 1976 is to work on mainframe computers. I had been a contractor at this company for the prior year so this was really a conversion. Its a pretty good job, 100% remote with good pay and the option for heavily discounted hotel rooms. I get two pensions from previous companies I have worked for along with SS. Wife is retired with a NYS pension.

So I ask myself why am I still working? I guess I like a challenge and would like to get some things accomplished. Now the question is how long do I stay at this job? When do I know it's time to go for good?
Good to know they are still mainframes running elsewhere. I'm only 53 and need to work for another 15 or so years. I've been doing contract work on mainframes since 1997 myself.

I thought you were moving from NYS and heading to Delaware when the time was right?

If you can live comfortably on your pension and retirement Income and you have enough to keep you busy, then why not retire? I could keep myself busy if I wasn't working. Unless your job gives you great satisfaction or you work with a great team and you love working, only you can decide when the time is right.

I wish I could retire already lol. I don’t like working but I like what I do. I want to retire so I don’t have to deal with customers which I struggle with and it wears me out. Lol. I am saving for retirement though.

Spend 30+ hours in a classroom with 32 sixth graders next week where you are the center of attention and responsible for directing the whole class and then tell me whether you are "hard working" or not.

My older sister was a school teacher and is now a vice principle. She loves her job and loved teaching.
I spoke of her in this thread once.

Regardless. I think there is a divide in this country concerning when you can retire. I'll admit I'm a union UPS Teamster and get to retire at 57.
But most of the private sector has done away with pensions and pre 65 retirement health insurance. Most tax payers in the private sector are paying taxes for something they don't get.
I feel sorry for the over the road company truck driver at someone like Swift/Schneider/Werner......... that doesn't get home much yet has to work
until 65-68 years old to receive full SS.

I finally retired. I'm glad I did. There are too many things to see and too many other things that I wanted to do. Life is too short.
For my entire working life I was a workaholic, putting in at least 60 hour weeks. I deserved the break.

Couple of questions...
Can you afford to retire?
Healthcare?
If you wait, and then cannot do a lot, will you wish you had retired earlier?
I love the IT challenge. Perhaps try a 3 day week, if your company will go for it.

Good luck.

Can you readily answer these questions??
Courtesy of Early-retirement.org.

1. What are your expenses? No, your real expenses that you have tracked carefully over a period of at least two years, not some rough estimate that you just pulled out of thin air. If you don't know where your spending flow goes now, you've got no business turning off the income flow.

2. Are you sure those are your expected expenses in retirement? How will you pay for health care? And how much will you pay? Have you gotten any quotes? If you're accustomed to group health insurance through your employer, prepare to be shocked. What is your plan for long term care? "I'll just shoot myself" is not a plan.

3. No, really, did you account for giving money to your children or grandchildren for college or a home or something like that? Or supporting your elderly parents or your "boomerang" kids? How about repainting the house, replacing the furnace or roof, buying a new car? If you live long enough, you'll likely do all of these things.

4. Do you plan on any major lifestyle changes? For instance, will you buy a vacation condo on Maui or take up Formula 1 racing? How will this affect your spending?

5. What are your sources of income in retirement? No, the real, honest-to-God actual sources of guaranteed money (or as close as it gets), not some vague idea that you'll pick up a little part time income on the side.

6. Do you know what your pension really will be or are you just guessing? Have you taken into account any discount for retiring before some specified age? Will you have a survivor provision, and how much will that reduce your pension? Will you get a COLA?

7. Have you gone to the Social Security Administration website to calculate how much you will get from social security? If you or your spouse ever had a non-social security job, will you be subject to the GPO or WEP?

8. Have you included taxes in your retirement income calculation? Be sure you understand how your state of residence and the IRS will 'reach out and touch you' once you give up your paycheck for an IRA withdrawal, SS, pension or other source of retirement income. If you use FIRECalc, you need to gross up the spending number for taxes.

9. What is your nest egg? And by nest egg, we mean real measurable dollars in some account that you can value on a daily basis and liquidate bit by bit as you need money, not raw land of speculative value, not the current home equity for a house that you're living in with no plans to move from in the near future, not your collection of Star Wars action figures, and not some inheritance that you may or may not receive in the future.

10. Is there some reason to believe that you will not live to be at least 85?

11. Once you know the answers to all these questions, did you run your numbers through FIRECalc? What does it say?

12. If the unexpected should happen and someone dies prematurely, how much income will the survivor have, and will it be enough to continue with the same lifestyle? Don't forget the impact of the resultant change in tax status (i.e. - married filing jointly to single)

Regardless. I think there is a divide in this country concerning when you can retire. I'll admit I'm a union UPS Teamster and get to retire at 57.
But most of the private sector has done away with pensions and pre 65 retirement health insurance. Most tax payers in the private sector are paying taxes for something they don't get.
I feel sorry for the over the road company truck driver at someone like Swift/Schneider/Werner......... that doesn't get home much yet has to work
until 65-68 years old to receive full SS.
I will point out that you don't need pensions or SS if you saved enough on your own either through 401k, IRA or you own investments.

Good to know they are still mainframes running elsewhere. I'm only 53 and need to work for another 15 or so years. I've been doing contract work on mainframes since 1997 myself.

I thought you were moving from NYS and heading to Delaware when the time was right?

If you can live comfortably on your pension and retirement Income and you have enough to keep you busy, then why not retire? I could keep myself busy if I wasn't working. Unless your job gives you great satisfaction or you work with a great team and you love working, only you can decide when the time is right.
Wife is slow to pack. But yes Delaware in a few months.

Back