When to stop working and retire?

I am 67 and just started a full time job for a major hotel company on their mainframe computers since all I have done since 1976 is to work on mainframe computers. I had been a contractor at this company for the prior year so this was really a conversion. Its a pretty good job, 100% remote with good pay and the option for heavily discounted hotel rooms. I get two pensions from previous companies I have worked for along with SS. Wife is retired with a NYS pension.

So I ask myself why am I still working? I guess I like a challenge and would like to get some things accomplished. Now the question is how long do I stay at this job? When do I know it's time to go for good?
I am 67 also and I retired last March. The day after Labor Day I went to work for the city because retirement wasn't for me. I like what I do and colleagues say I do it well.
There's a lot to be said for experience.
I guess when I fully retire it will be when I can't answer the morning alarm.

If you have to ask other people when to retire then you're not ready. That question should have been asked long time ago.
When I was about 30 I asked myself this question. And my answer was that I'll be done sucking up to corporate before age 60 and I've done exactly that and never looked back.

You will know it is time when your co-workers tell you so.
:LOL: ain't that the truth, did 26 yrs at my last job and heard this everyday "When you gonna retire" as soon as I turned 66 I had my walking papers in hand.

I am 67 and just started a full time job for a major hotel company on their mainframe computers since all I have done since 1976 is to work on mainframe computers. I had been a contractor at this company for the prior year so this was really a conversion. Its a pretty good job, 100% remote with good pay and the option for heavily discounted hotel rooms. I get two pensions from previous companies I have worked for along with SS. Wife is retired with a NYS pension.

So I ask myself why am I still working? I guess I like a challenge and would like to get some things accomplished. Now the question is how long do I stay at this job? When do I know it's time to go for good?
When my pension benefits means I can retire with plenty of pension money to live comfortably, with my 401(k) as gravy on top

Reactions: JC1
There's always a guy who will work way too long then finally retires, passes away or has health issues after a couple years and never got to enjoy the fruits of his labor. That always saddens me.

There's always a guy who will work way too long then finally retires, passes away or has health issues after a couple years and never got to enjoy the fruits of his labor. That always saddens me.
I knew a guy who didn't want to retire because all the people he knew who retired dropped dead a few years later. I always told him that it wasn't related. He finally retired when the regulations got to be too much for him to keep up with based on his low volume of business. He basically just slowed down and didn't do as much work before he retired.

My plan was to retire before anyone at work thought I should. I did that. Retired at 66 1/2 and had just lead my department to 10 consecutive years of meeting or exceeding all annual objectives.

I've found I need far less income in retirement than I expected. When my mother was in her early 90s she said with some pride that she put a little money aside every month. We're not trying to do that but we are too.

And my health isn't as good as I thought. Yours might not be either. We know a lot of people and we're at the age where many of our friends are developing serious health problems (cancer, heart problems, strokes, etc) and several have died. Gives you pause for thought.

Can you readily answer these questions??
Courtesy of Early-retirement.org.

1. What are your expenses? No, your real expenses that you have tracked carefully over a period of at least two years, not some rough estimate that you just pulled out of thin air. If you don't know where your spending flow goes now, you've got no business turning off the income flow.

2. Are you sure those are your expected expenses in retirement? How will you pay for health care? And how much will you pay? Have you gotten any quotes? If you're accustomed to group health insurance through your employer, prepare to be shocked. What is your plan for long term care? "I'll just shoot myself" is not a plan.

3. No, really, did you account for giving money to your children or grandchildren for colle

10. Is there some reason to believe that you will not live to be at least 85?
What's so great about living to 85?
Not exactly going to be your best years.

I'm not retired but quit working nine years ago. Long way away from collecting SS, my pension or tax advantageous withdrawals from my IRA.
Don't want to be that guy that retired and dropped dead. Happens.

We're ready now (40), but unfortunately won't have the money, so we have to wait. Ages 50/51 is the long end. Hope to pull the plug before then or move to part time (80%?, 3-4 day work weeks sounds right) work from 45-50ish, maybe.
We'll see how it all plays out, though.

Would love to today. Used to really love what I do, but it's become something of a drag, something I can't always turn on and get into. WFH would be so much better if I didn't have to deal with the "W" part...

Have hopes that I'll be able to when I'm 60, if I had to, but likely will push through my 60's so as to know I'll be ok. It's office work, so not strenuous, just most likely to drop dead while sitting.

Biggest issue is getting the house paid off, only 28 more years there... ugh.

Last edited:
If you're financially comfortable to retire, go for it! But....you've got a pretty sweet deal. Working in your sweats, money coming in, hotel benefits, insurance, etc. I'd say if you were slugging back and forth to a job you hate, retire. I'd have a hard time giving up what you have.

Last edited:
What's so great about living to 85?
Not exactly going to be your best years.
Generally it's better than the alternative.
But not always.

My Dad is 83 and he looks and feels great.
I fully expect to live to 90+ and to have a great time doing so.

Last edited:
I guess I've got bad genes. Hardly anyone in my family that lived past 80 had a very good quality of life. My mom is the exception, who is still getting around great at 83. But she's at the doctor's office twice a week.

The main reason, IMO, to retire now is if you want to travel or vacation in many places. Health, unfortunately, is not guaranteed. You could live to be 90 but with immobility not really do what you want compared to being healthy and doing it now. There are too many stories of people waiting to retire only to be hit with an accident or unforeseen illness that basically stops their retirement plans quickly. If you can afford to retire do so ASAP, let someone else have the job and enjoy the rest of your life!!!

The main reason, IMO, to retire now is if you want to travel or vacation in many places. Health, unfortunately, is not guaranteed. You could live to be 90 but with immobility not really do what you want compared to being healthy and doing it now. There are too many stories of people waiting to retire only to be hit with an accident or unforeseen illness that basically stops their retirement plans quickly. If you can afford to retire do so ASAP, let someone else have the job and enjoy the rest of your life!!!

Spector, my "doctor told me" that he has had numerous men retire that went downhill quickly and died soon after. Downhill because they had difficulty adjusting to all the changes of retirement and they could not cope mentally. It is hard to believe, but some men have trouble adjusting to not having the daily work routine and purpose they have followed all of their life. It's not necessarily that they were married to their job, its that they don't have the capacity to survive without the regimen. Men with terrible jobs cannot imagine this.

I've also heard of men getting terribly bored in retirement and sometimes the wife gets a job because she can't stand to be around hubby 24/7.

There are many different scenarios. My idea is to choose want YOU want. Do it. And have no regrets no matter what happens. We cannot predict the future and there are no guarantees about anything. Life is often unfair.

Back