When to start using a fuel injector cleaner on a new car?

Using Chevron, I haven't needed additional additives in FI engines since 1985.

Depends on the cleaner. Since I still have leftover Renewable Lubes Bio-Plus fuel injector cleaner (3/4 of a gallon) from my old car, I've been using it every fill up (the 1 oz maintenance dose), with ARCO Top Tier Fuel, and haven't touched my redline SI-1, which I plan on using prior to every oil change

I check the fuel trim. a $5 elm does the job. I've only used injector cleaner once and it was on a ford ranger because the trims were off. Dumping cleaner all the time or worse at every tank is a waste. I've gone 315k on my suv never using a cleaner once and just cheap Walmart gas.

The secret is that i just burn the 32 gallons of gas out in 1-2 weeks. I implore people who have efficient cars that don't drive much to just have a weeks worth in the tank. Cars that go a month with the same gas will varnish out fast after just a few years and that's why some have issues but simply keep less gas in there.
Are you seeing a richer mixture with clogged injectors or... ?

Are you seeing a richer mixture with clogged injectors or... ?
Yeah if the trims are off by like +/- 5% then a cleaner can be used but mine were at 1-2% on my suv, most I've ever seen it was 3%. On the ranger i used to have it was at adding 8% and did have a slightly off idle. Two bottles of regular techron in one tank of regular sorted it out. Went down to 2 and the idle sounded a bit more consistent.

It's either Top Tier or it's not. There's no different grades of TT.

The Top Tier testing requirements only sets a minimum standard and the seller has to include at least the amount of additive they've promised. Chevron, Shell, Mobil, and Costco imply that they ge well above the requirement. Conoco/Phillips/76 claim to exceed the requirement by maybe 20%?

Other than that, Top Tier doesn't necessarily specify the quality of the base fuel other than specify a specific test fuel. It's assumed that it should meet all commodity fuel standards.

How do you know that wasn't an environmental issue, or maybe bad gas? I've never used any of these products myself, and if dirty injectors are suspect, I send them out for ultrasonic cleaning. The gasoline should have all the cleaners you need, and as expensive as it is already, I'm not spending the equivalent of another 25 cents per gallon to use them.
That is a great question. I did check for codes, there were none. I drive so many non stop miles back and forth from FL to PA and use so many tanks of gas that the problem was obvious. I normally get 17-18mpg and it dropped to 13 and was slightly rough in cruise. I stopped at Walmart and dumped in the Techron. It was not long after that the issue was solved.

I can only “guess” that some deposits were causing issues And they were cleaned sufficiently. it’s nice to say that one can send out injectors for cleaning. But I’m typically driving 1359 miles, carrying tools for a job and must work upon arrival. Then leave as soon as I’m done. When on the road, you do what you must.

Right before I got to 10,000 miles I was in the middle of a 7 hour drive and I got a check engine light for cylinder misfire causing my vehicle to go into limp mode. Thankfully this was quickly resolved by shutting down the engine and restarting but due to this being a randomly reported, known issue I decided to dump a bottle of Royal Purple Max Clean in my gas tank at the next fill-up.

My buddy who works for BG said that they recommend using their 44K product as early as 10,000 miles for fuel system and fuel injector cleaning.

Back