When to start using a fuel injector cleaner on a new car?

hrv

At what point do you start using a fuel /injector cleaner on a new car??? Do you wait for issues or is there a mileage that you would start using it???

I check the fuel trim. a $5 elm does the job. I've only used injector cleaner once and it was on a ford ranger because the trims were off. Dumping cleaner all the time or worse at every tank is a waste. I've gone 315k on my suv never using a cleaner once and just cheap Walmart gas.

The secret is that i just burn the 32 gallons of gas out in 1-2 weeks. I implore people who have efficient cars that don't drive much to just have a weeks worth in the tank. Cars that go a month with the same gas will varnish out fast after just a few years and that's why some have issues but simply keep less gas in there.

Last edited:
Yep, just use top tier fuel and forget about the additives. If you have a new car and keep up on the maintenance from new, additives of any type are not a necessary part of the maintenance regimen.

Check your owner's manual.

Above comments about using top tier gas are appropriate.

For example, in Hyundai's manuals they specify using a fuel additive like Techron if not using top tier gas.

I've only used a treatment on 2 cars, which developed issues from cheap gas. A friend's 1996 3000GT was stumbling and seemed underpowered (Techron and a full tank of Chevron 93 cured it), and my '05 Sport Trac stopped registering a full tank when I knew it was full. It got the same treatment, and it cleared up, never to return, as I stopped using Racetrac gas.

Use it from day one or never use it. There's no "rule" and you won't get a correct answer here or anywhere.

For example, in Hyundai's manuals they specify using a fuel additive like Techron if not using top tier gas.
I think Hyundai and Kia recommended a fuel additive regardless of top tier usage.

I personally would use it from day one in addition to using top tier fuel.
Carbon deposits develop over time, using it from day 1 seems a no-brainer to prevent it from ever happening.

I started having issues with my 3.5L ecoboost. strange roughness at modest power levels and decreasing mpg on every tank. I used mutiple bottles of Techron, problem solved.
How do you know that wasn't an environmental issue, or maybe bad gas? I've never used any of these products myself, and if dirty injectors are suspect, I send them out for ultrasonic cleaning. The gasoline should have all the cleaners you need, and as expensive as it is already, I'm not spending the equivalent of another 25 cents per gallon to use them.

I have always used top tier gas, but even the top tier gas here in California isn't that great.
To answer the OP's question, I start using a fuel additive like Techron just before the very first oil change which is around 5000 miles and then use it before each subsequent change. The cost of a bottle is negligible. And I have never had issues related to the fuel injectors or system.

However as WylieCoyote mentioned, some cars do have occasional issues with the fuel gauge not reading properly. I used to own a Nissan 370Z and that was a known issue. When it happened, I would add 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to a full tank and that would solve the problem which I believe was a sticky float or sensor in the gas tank. The problem would reoccur after a few thousand miles and another dose of MMO would fix it. A bottle of MMO is cheap and it won't hurt to add a dose to a tank every 5000 miles either although not at the same time as Techron.

I have always used top tier gas, but even the top tier gas here in California isn't that great.
To answer the OP's question, I start using a fuel additive like Techron just before the very first oil change which is around 5000 miles and then use it before each subsequent change. The cost of a bottle is negligible. And I have never had issues related to the fuel injectors or system.

However as WylieCoyote mentioned, some cars do have occasional issues with the fuel gauge not reading properly. I used to own a Nissan 370Z and that was a known issue. When it happened, I would add 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to a full tank and that would solve the problem which I believe was a sticky float or sensor in the gas tank. The problem would reoccur after a few thousand miles and another dose of MMO would fix it. A bottle of MMO is cheap and it won't hurt to add a dose to a tank every 5000 miles either although not at the same time as Techron.
My issue was sulfur reacting with the silver contacts on the sending unit. It was actually a technician's advice that led me to Techron. I was going to take it to a shop for a perceived sender failure, but saved a bunch of money thanks to him.

Back