When To Check Oil (Engine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
I think it's more important to do it the same way every time than to do it one particular way.

Agreed.

The wild card here is most Filter ADV's leak; so in the morning the oil level might reflect this leak and be a bit higher. But for the most part that would not be a big issue, I don't believe.

SOHC=You can check it almost right away after shutting down the engine and get a semi-accurate reading.

DOHC=Need to wait at least 15 minutes, possibly longer to get an accurate reading.

No kidding, Kestas. The search feature definitely tends to be underutilized here.

My advice is to read the manual. Mine ('00 Monte Carlo) says to do it warm after letting the engine sit a few minutes. However, I would venture to say that the difference between that and doing it cold would be almost undetectable. I think we're really picking nits here.

I always check cold, most consistent readings that I ever get. full at cold mark; 2/3 quart low when hot. maybe I don't let all the oil to go down to the pan long enough when I check when hot. but if you waiting for all the oil to go back in the pan, why not check it when cold, when you know ALL of the oil is in the pan. takes alot of guesswork out of the equation

Read your owners manual. The dipstick will be calibrated for that.

I wish oil could be checked on a running vehicle. Oil level, with the vehicle off, is foolish. My engine doesn't need oil when NOT running. At least my ATF gets checked correctly.

I check my oil hot within 5 minutes of a shutdown.
Why check oil level on a cold engine when its only cold for the 1st 3 minutes of driving time???????

Some newer cars (BMW 3 Series for ex) have oil level monitors that check the oil level while the vehicle is in operation.. This of course is a much better way to measure the oil level.

I think a better measurement and it is indicated in owners manual is on an engine at operationg temperature. Cold readings could be off for various reasons but the main one in my mind is oil gilter ADBV's allowing the oil toescape to the pan after several hours while a hot engine will have a full filter. A certain amount of oil is also primed in the oil passageways and ontop of the heads in pools. If this is allowed to drain back to the block the readings will be artificially high (not counting thermal expansion) Then there is the fuel and moisuture accumulation that can indicate higher levels in cold oil.

Follow the instructions in the owners manual.. The procedure set forth in it is there for a reason.

i check mine when cold, as car has sat overnight. many times ide check my oil 15 minutes, 30 minutes ect after shutdown, and ide get a normal full reading. it seems letting it sit overnight, eventually i will always find a the level lower.

I raise the hood, wipe the stick, put it back in partially, then fill the tank. When done with that I check the oil. For my car, anyway, there's zero difference between that method and overnight settling.

Must be that smooooth, e-z flowing M-1/VSOT combo I'm running!
cheers.gif

Read the effin' manual.

Consistancy in readings isn't the goal, APPROPRIATE levels are the goal. Sure, oil levels change depending upon many factors. If the dipstick is calibrated to read the APPROPRIATE level when the car is warm, on flat ground, and the engine turned off for 3 minutes, then, the APPROPRIATE range of levels are those marked on your dipstick (assuming you use the manufacturer's recommended viscosity oil and oil filter type, and the filter is operating correctly). Likewise, if your manual says to check it after sitting 15 minutes, or when cold, etc., THAT situation is where the oil dipstick is calibrated to be appropriate.

Let's not make this difficult, folks.

My old D2 Caterpillar crawler tractor was designed to have the oil checked with engine running. Says so right on the dipstick. The dipstick tube is designed with a shield around it to prevent false readings from splashing. I wish car engines were the same.
Joe

I check stone-cold for pretty much the same reasons already stated. It the oil is a hair low, I know it'll be ok when it heats and expands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back