When to change mower oil

3 lages and all anecdotal experience. Has anyone ever sent 1 or 10 season old oil to blackstone to be analyzed to conclude our argument?
Not for a mower but I did send a sample from my Kubota diesel tractor that was 3-4 years old and had about 80 hours on it. The report said it still had a decent amount of life left.

3 lages and all anecdotal experience. Has anyone ever sent 1 or 10 season old oil to blackstone to be analyzed to conclude our argument?
I've sent a few out in years prior and they have been fine, but the main cause for oil degrading in a small engine was fuel contamination, which depends a lot on the particular engine and its use case.

If you can't remember if or when the mower oil was changed, it is probably time to change it.

I used to change it every year in the fall, but the oil coming out still looked golden amber. So now I change it every couple of years, usually in the fall. I sharpen the blade at the same time so it's ready to go in the spring.

It really doesn't matter much spring or fall. The important part is that it gets changed every now and then.

I have two mowers -

I change the one I use most often 2x a year -

It takes 10 minutes - and 12 ounce of oil -

The other one doesn't get used as much it is more like every year.

BTW "PRO TIP" lol -

I write the date I change the oil on the mower deck with a magic marker - I also indicate if I replaced the air filter - I clean it out every oil change so only make a note if I put in a new one - and also spark plug.

The deck of one mower is 2/3 full of dates - but IMHO it is cool way to have a maintenance log that you can never lose!!

I use my ZTR nearly year round . In the winter I mulch up leaves a couple of times a week . I change the oil at least once a year .

I write the date I change the oil on the mower deck with a magic marker - I also indicate if I replaced the air filter - I clean it out every oil change so only make a note if I put in a new one - and also spark plug.

The deck of one mower is 2/3 full of dates - but IMHO it is cool way to have a maintenance log that you can never lose!!
I write plug #, oil capacity, air pressures, etc on my stuff so I don't have to dig out a manual to consult things between services.

Back