When do you take off your winter tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my Blizzaks on a 1997 F350 and just leave them on year around. They've been on there for 7 or 8 years now, but that tells you how much I drive, which is minimal on it. I can't tell any difference in the feel over any other tire I've run in summertime or got any major wear from this sin.

I've got one more trip to Michigan ahead of me, so I'll keep the winter tires on until I come back from there. Michigan gets dumped on even when there is already Spring in Chicago.

I take mine off second to third weekend here in central KY. Taking a small chance for one of the heavy wet snows that melts by early afternoon.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
I am probably going to take mine off this weekend. If the temp hits 60+ you need to get them off quick or they will wear down fast. I have blizzaks and above 60 they get really squishy and i feel they are going to just melt off.

If they are properly inflated they wont wear down fast despite being used in summer. They will wear out slightly more but not significantly unless the tires you buy are known to wear fast.

once its consistently above 5 degrees celsius i take em off. im probably gona changethem in 2-4 weeks depending on weather. gota get my new tires first!

Its tough because we have good swings in temperature. Usually it ends up being in April, because I wait until it has been fairly warm and is starting to look like silid 50-60 degree weather is here to stay.

I should probably take them off earlier, but it is a combination of being cold, busy, etc.

Ill never wear out a set of winter tires anyway, so its not a big deal.

Where are you in upstate? I'm in Syracuse (CNY) ... I'm going to hold out until next weekend or easter (next time I go to my parents) to put them on.

Picky, how do you like those Bridgestone Turdanzas on your 2012 Legacy 2.5i,CVT? Ugh.. those things are HORRIBLE in the snow. Great tires if you never need to drive in winter conditions. Kind of the whole point of a Subaru?!? Great job Subaru of America!

Yeah, those Bridgestone Turdanzas are real turds. I rode it out this winter with them as I have been saving up and looking for a nice set of 17" wheels and tires for this summer, perhaps some 02 BBS RK's or something.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
One car has them off already, the other car needs to get them off soon. That'll likely be this weekend.

They're still showing a lot of snow showers over the next week, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting any accumulation. Are your other tires summers or all-seasons?

My dad's 2013 outback is in the shop for a wierd airbag/seat error

they gave him a 201x legacy with those el400 turdanza's

They are fairly sporty but lack traction in anything close to white. The CVT feels wierd but better than the nissan altima cvt I had for a rental.

In other news I had the xice xi2's taken off the GF's 2010 accent.
She has the new defenders mounted today.. They are very smooth and low noise.. Handling is better than the xice xi2's and probably get abit better after 250-500 miles of breakin.

so getting back to the OP... about now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
One car has them off already, the other car needs to get them off soon. That'll likely be this weekend.

They're still showing a lot of snow showers over the next week, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting any accumulation. Are your other tires summers or all-seasons?

Well I took them off today and replaced them with our A/S tires, got my fingers crossed that we are done with all of the big snow.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

High-performance all-seasons for both cars precisely because of the unpredictability of the weather around us. I had to drive on some light snow this morning, and they did just fine.

Taking the Truck snow tires off this week. The Winterforce LT's burned off about 8/32 in one season(11,000 miles one rotation) and the Blizzak W965's burned off about 5/32s (7,000 miles one rotation). Both trucks haul cattle in a 31' trailer. The Blizzak truck has a plow on it as well.

The car snow tires I'll take off the last week of March/1st week of April. They do not wear near as fast as the truck ones so it's not as big of a concern. The trucks also get around just fine in the end of year snow without the snow tires compared to the cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back