When did 10w30 HDEO’s come around?

Mobil was running adds for 10w30 HDEO in 2000.

DDE9A902-49B9-43B2-8026-95A2BCDF7A73.png
55961DE0-DE74-4484-ADB5-89AF68F0F7B0.png

I’ve seen owners manuals from the 80’s listing a 10w30 as an acceptable alternative to either straight 30 or 15w40. Still a robust oil with slightly better cold flow. I remember PQIA doing tests on various HDEO’s and that 10w30 was close to some 15w40’s in terms of tbn and cst. Can’t seem to find that test at the moment.

On a side note, wasn’t it the Ford 6.0 diesel that shears oil down to a 10w30? In short, a 10w30 is more shear stable than a 15w40. I can’t remember the specifics.

The first 5w40 I saw around 1974 was Gulf. (I'm a Boomer, raised on the prairies by war vets and depression survivors)
In western Canada, Gulf took over BA gas stations in the late 1960s/early 70s.
Petro-Canada took over Gulf gas/service stations in the 1990s, followed by a feeding frenzy on Gulf Canada's assets.
See WIKI for the story.

SAE 15W was added to J300 in 1975 as per the above post. 15w40s would have been rolled out in late 75 early 76.
Interesting info. Do you folks have AMOCO gas stations there? Down here now they are called COEN stations

Interesting info. Do you folks have AMOCO gas stations there? Down here now they are called COEN stations
No gas stations that I'm aware of, or can find on the web. No BP gas stations either. The BA gas stations I mentioned were British American and Gulf took them over. Anglo was another old petroleum company in Canada. See Wiki for the stories.
It looks like Amoco is active in natural gas and crude oil production in Alberta, Canada.

No gas stations that I'm aware of, or can find on the web. No BP gas stations either. The BA gas stations I mentioned were British American and Gulf took them over. Anglo was another old petroleum company in Canada. See Wiki for the stories.
It looks like Amoco is active in natural gas and crude oil production in Alberta, Canada.
From what I recall, British Petroleum (BP) formed BP CANADA and bought the Canadian assets of Amoco. The downstream refining assets were later sold to Petrocanada. The upstream assets were spun off as Talisman Energy. Talisman was big in the US Marcellous field. Talisman was purchased by Repsol in around 2014. The oil and gas exploration is now under the Repsol name, AFAIK.

Here's a more current spec. sheet for what Perkins recommends for the old 4.236. I ran the Rotella T5 10w-30 for a few years and there was definitely more oil consumption, along with easier starts when it was down around freezing. The starter motor is big, but you can definitely tell the difference between how it spins with the 10W-30 vs. the 15W-40. Still, most of the boat use is during the summer months, so I've moved back to the T4 15W-40 for less oil consumption and better protection.
Perkins 4.236 Oil Spec.png

He can’t remember the exact year, but it was either 1976 or 77 that Rotella 15w40 came out. This was before “T” Rotella. As the T later came out for being okay for Turbo Chargers.

Amoco 300 came out a little later, in 15w40 meeting the MACK standard at the time.

He can’t remember the exact year, but it was either 1976 or 77 that Rotella 15w40 came out. This was before “T” Rotella. As the T later came out for being okay for Turbo Chargers.

Amoco 300 came out a little later, in 15w40 meeting the MACK standard at the time.
Very good sir. I Thakn You for the info.

Other than CAFE reasons, is there any advantage to running 10w-30 over 5w-40?
I understand it was fleet owners that wanted the better mileage, say, when they ran large numbers of trucks. They found they didn’t suffer from wearing out the trucks in the miles they ran them. I suppose there’s all sorts of opinions on that. They would have been highway trucks on long routes where the mileage adds up fast.

Is 10w-30 more shear stable than 5w-40? 10w-30 covers a narrower temp range so I wonder if it would stay in grade better
I think as a group that would hold true, but would also depend on which 10w30 vs which 5w40.
For example a 10w30 that is API FA-4 licensed would tend to stay in grade better than dollar store 5w40.

We still haven't addressed the topic of when the 10w30 grade was established.
The Wehrmacht developed synthetic lubricants in the early 1940s for cold climate pumping and engine cranking.
Those lubricants would have been defacto multi grades. Same for aviation fluids and lubricants.

When did non synthetic 10w30 roll out in North America and become the GOAT multi-grade?
I'll guess somewhere between when the Pacific war ended and the small block Chev's introduction in the fall of 54.

Other than CAFE reasons, is there any advantage to running 10w-30 over 5w-40?
I don’t buy the CAFE reason at all. Talked to lots of fleet owners and they still use 15w40 since it’s cheaper and easier to get. One fleet owner I see daily tells me his fleet of box trucks already have over 400k on them with 15w40 and quality filters.

Growing up around diesel trucks and tractors all I remember having was SAE30 or 15W40. Mid-eighties Ford 6.9L IDI and mid-nineties Chevy 6.5L trucks and various John Deere, International and Massey Ferguson tractors.

Just wasn’t on the shelves that I recall seeing.

Back