When did 10w30 HDEO’s come around?

This blog post says 10W-30 was introduced in the late 1950s: https://www.tdxltd.co.nz/blog/multi-grade-oil

There are a few inaccuracies in this blog in several instances. Generally, the widespread introduction of multigrade oils occurred in 1954. Multiple oils became commercially accessible simultaneously, often in the form of 10W-30. This particular year is noteworthy because the researchers at Mobil (Socony) discovered the anti-wear properties of ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) for the first time. However, definitive evidence that ZDP functions not only as an inhibitor but also as an antiwear additive was established by automotive researchers two years later, in 1956.

1030m.jpg
10301.jpg

Was wondering about this today. Growing up I recall diesel rated straight 30 weights and 15w40
You'd have to look it up but sulphur levels in diesel fuel were ridiculously high until around 2007. Both PMCO and HDEO could be found in similar weights other than the 20w and 5w30.

Is 10w-30 more shear stable than 5w-40? 10w-30 covers a narrower temp range so I wonder if it would stay in grade better
This is second info from my cousin, but he told me the 6.0 Powerstrokes liked the 10-30 better because it was more shear stable that the 5w-40 oils and the injection systems was happier.

This is second info from my cousin, but he told me the 6.0 Powerstrokes liked the 10-30 better because it was more shear stable that the 5w-40 oils and the injection systems was happier.
Which 5w40 vs which 10w30 did your cousin's brother-in-law's boss that has an uncle who owned a 7-11 that sold oil to a customer that had a 6.0 Power Joke?

Which 5w40 vs which 10w30 did your cousin's brother-in-law's boss that has an uncle who owned a 7-11 that sold oil to a customer that had a 6.0 Power Joke?
Lmao yeah. My cousin swore that T5 Rotella 10-30 kept the injectors happier that T6 5w40 and multiple on the 6.0 forums said the same thing.

As I post on so many forums. So what if the 5W40 shears to a 30 weight? If that is so bad, why do people think starting at a 30 weight is such a good idea, lol.

BTW - the 10W30 also shears. The data that the 10W30 fans post up shows that it can get almost to a 20 weight at 7.5k.

After 7.5k miles. my 5W40 Mobil Delvac 5W40 is at, and sometimes above, the viscosity that the 10W30's start at .............

Data is on this website ............

As I post on so many forums. So what if the 5W40 shears to a 30 weight? If that is so bad, why do people think starting at a 30 weight is such a good idea, lol.

BTW - the 10W30 also shears. The data that the 10W30 fans post up shows that it can get almost to a 20 weight at 7.5k.

After 7.5k miles. my 5W40 Mobil Delvac 5W40 is at, and sometimes above, the viscosity that the 10W30's start at .............

Data is on this website ............
I agree 100%. I never understood the argument my cousin was trying to make because I would argue what you’re saying. He had the forums to back up his decision and at the end of the day, it’s his vehicle.

My comment was poorly written and only meant to convey that people buy into shear stability and will use anecdotal evidence to justify it. The downfalls or reading and replying when sleepy!

My uneducated opinion on 10w-30 hdeo is that for the general diesel pickup owner, that’s all they should need. A lot of them are used as commuters and rarely tow anyways. It makes sense for that market to use this oil more. If I’m not mistaken, this is the factory fill on the 6.7 Powerstrokes.

I agree 100%. I never understood the argument my cousin was trying to make because I would argue what you’re saying. He had the forums to back up his decision and at the end of the day, it’s his vehicle.

My comment was poorly written and only meant to convey that people buy into shear stability and will use anecdotal evidence to justify it. The downfalls or reading and replying when sleepy!

My uneducated opinion on 10w-30 hdeo is that for the general diesel pickup owner, that’s all they should need. A lot of them are used as commuters and rarely tow anyways. It makes sense for that market to use this oil more. If I’m not mistaken, this is the factory fill on the 6.7 Powerstrokes.
Your first post stated that 10w30 was more shear stable than 5w40.
I came back with which 10w30 vs which 5w40, because you were painting with a broad brush with no specifics.
Your next post stated that information from your cousin who learned from a 6.0L power stroke forum, it was Rotella vs Rotella.
Power stroke 6.0L engines were available in pickup trucks for 5 years from 2003-2007 inclusive. Read the story on wiki.
Diesel API would have been CI-4 15-20 years ago. The 6L power stroke was a disaster.
Are 5w40 CK-4 engine oils prone to viscosity loss vs 10w30 in engines built in 2023?
How does my Duron 5w40 CK-4 in a L5P Duramax compare to 1970 vintage 10w30 Castrol GTX in a 454 BBC?
The answer is nobody cares, because it's irrelevant.
Your 5w40 vs 10w30 posts are not incorrect, just slightly dated.

My 6.0L disaster is still going strong at 242k miles. Original injectors. Best truck I have ever owned, but then the known weak points were addressed quickly and properly. Minimal cost to do so when you do it proactively. My only miss on the "proactive slate" was the integral fuel pump relay (part of the CJB). Saw the issues and made it 100+ miles - it shut down 20 minutes short of the house, lol. I already had the parts for the external relay modification. Just lazy. Took an hour to fix.

UOA's are still fantastic.

Buying a used one ...............well, who knows about that! Most have been abused with cheap flashy parts and driven hard (or worked on by hacks). They don't do well with that.

If I had to guess and literally it is I'd say the late 90's to early 2000's when I started noticing it on the shelves. I believe they switched mainly due to fuel economy reasons but seems like now the market had largely phased it out and mostly it's back to 15w40 for class 8 trucks that is.

I loved the Delo xle 10w30 as it was dual rated and you could get it at Walmart for around $12 or so for a gallon, my Civic loved it and I didn't have to top-off much either from what I remember. I wish that I could still find it but anytime I do the price is ridiculous so that would've been around 2010 or thereabouts.

Back