Safety Kleen motor oil PDS

Foxtrot08: when you get a moment, can you tell us more about rerefined oils and what’s different from virgin crude? Appreciate it very much.

So the main thing is, what you feed a re-refinery. Crap in = crap out. If you feed it mostly group 1’s, you’ll get a very low VI product out. And it will be ugly. Even with hydrocracking it will be a group 2+ but not a great one.

If you have a very clean feed stock - meaning mostly group 3’s and automotive group 2’s - you’ll get a very high VI product out. We were regularly seeing 115-130 VI on the base oil we were producing. And we didn’t have a splitter like SK does. So we were producing a straight cut of 150 neutral. Where as SK produces a 70 / 120 / 240.

By having a splitter allows them to produce a “cleaner” VI base stock. You’re just not co-mingling all the cuts together. You’re splitting them apart.

Where as virgin crude, it’s more in your hydrocracking process. What pressure you’re putting it under. How many times you’re rolling it through. And as well, what crude are you using Also, what refinery are you getting it from? Who’s producing it?

There’s tons of posts here about the different base oils. Adnoc vs Motiva vs Pearl GTL vs XOM GTL vs Pure performance etc. etc etc.

Group 2+ from SK, Heritage/crystal and now what is now owned by GFL (when we sold it, it went to Warren Highline, then to vertex, then to GFL) are very clean, very high VI group 2s. Almost group 3s. It’s theoretically possibly to make them group 3s. Just AFAIK hasn’t happened yet.

What other questions about it?

So the main thing is, what you feed a re-refinery. Crap in = crap out. If you feed it mostly group 1’s, you’ll get a very low VI product out. And it will be ugly. Even with hydrocracking it will be a group 2+ but not a great one.

If you have a very clean feed stock - meaning mostly group 3’s and automotive group 2’s - you’ll get a very high VI product out. We were regularly seeing 115-130 VI on the base oil we were producing. And we didn’t have a splitter like SK does. So we were producing a straight cut of 150 neutral. Where as SK produces a 70 / 120 / 240.

By having a splitter allows them to produce a “cleaner” VI base stock. You’re just not co-mingling all the cuts together. You’re splitting them apart.

Where as virgin crude, it’s more in your hydrocracking process. What pressure you’re putting it under. How many times you’re rolling it through. And as well, what crude are you using Also, what refinery are you getting it from? Who’s producing it?

There’s tons of posts here about the different base oils. Adnoc vs Motiva vs Pearl GTL vs XOM GTL vs Pure performance etc. etc etc.

Group 2+ from SK, Heritage/crystal and now what is now owned by GFL (when we sold it, it went to Warren Highline, then to vertex, then to GFL) are very clean, very high VI group 2s. Almost group 3s. It’s theoretically possibly to make them group 3s. Just AFAIK hasn’t happened yet.

What other questions about it?
I think you answered all my questions. Very informative, and I Thank You.

@foxtrot09: do the re refiners sometimes kix say a heavy sour crude oil or good light sweet crude into their oils? I’ve been reading about Venezuelan heavy sour crude and vicarious countries crude. Thank You

@foxtrot09: do the re refiners sometimes kix say a heavy sour crude oil or good light sweet crude into their oils? I’ve been reading about Venezuelan heavy sour crude and vicarious countries crude. Thank You

The re-refineries can take crude oil, as it’s a fairly similar process. But as far as I know, none of the re-refiners seek it out. If that’s the question.

The re-refineries can take crude oil, as it’s a fairly similar process. But as far as I know, none of the re-refiners seek it out. If that’s the question.
Very good sir. So, rerefiners use just about any used oil, atf and gear oils etc as a feedstock?

Very good sir. So, rerefiners use just about any used oil, atf and gear oils etc as a feedstock?

Preferably motor oils and ATFs. Higher quality used oils coming in = higher quality base oils going out. Gear oils, particularly industrial gear oils (your EP68-EP680) products are often group 1’s and a lot of bright stocks.

Lots of good info in the subject. I’m wondering what happens to some of the lower quality feedstocks that possibly Safety Kleen doesn’t use Or do they use them anyways?

Back