Using HDEO API C* versus A5B5

So, Ford recommends 5w30 A5/B5 for the Ford Endeavour (aka Ranger, with a 3.2 liter L5 diesel).

I've seen recommendations suggesting HDEO 15w40 or 10w30 for

1. Hot weather (and right now it is 90 F in the shade at 8 AM India time)
2. Biodiesel (which is coming in India, besides rampant fuel adulteration)

I do something like 25-30k miles a year on work and personal travel in the car. Given this running, is it worth switching to HDEO considering :

1. Oil costs (a bit short of 2.4 gallons in the sump)
2. Any decrease in fuel efficiency if I use HDEO instead of an A5B5 5w30

If you're using Ultra Low sulfur fuel and the car has no particulate filter (the Indian market didn't require them until 2020, correct?) then it shouldn't matter what you're using at all you can use old school CI-4+ oil, CJ-4/CK-4, or even FA-4, or C3 or A3/B4 oil, it won't make much difference, the fuel economy difference likely won't ever be noticed, I'd just do what the manufacturer recommends as an interval no matter what you're running, I'd choose whatever is a decent quality easily available oil at a decent price.

Yeah there's no DPF / SCR. Works, then. Thanks! Just that for the kind of running I do, a conventional CK4 is going to be about a third of the cost of an A5B5 / A3B4 / C3.

So, Ford recommends 5w30 A5/B5 for the Ford Endeavour (aka Ranger, with a 3.2 liter L5 diesel).

I've seen recommendations suggesting HDEO 15w40 or 10w30 for

1. Hot weather (and right now it is 90 F in the shade at 8 AM India time)
2. Biodiesel (which is coming in India, besides rampant fuel adulteration)

I do something like 25-30k miles a year on work and personal travel in the car. Given this running, is it worth switching to HDEO considering :

1. Oil costs (a bit short of 2.4 gallons in the sump)
2. Any decrease in fuel efficiency if I use HDEO instead of an A5B5 5w30

you will be fine with Ck4 15w40 or any other viscosity you find.

Thanks. I've mostly been going with A3B4 till now rather than A5B5 wondering whether CK4 was worth a try for this application.

Back