whats more comfy on the hwy - Sportster or Triumph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: FastGame
What does speed have to do with the quality of the bike ? Does anyone really think the Harley is junk because it's not the fastest ?

Well of course, because the essence of motorcycling is beating some loser in a tarted up grocery getter some where ... duh...
Maybe for you, but I haven't lived as long as I have and kept my insurance rates under control by doing that. Lots of riders today are just barely able to keep things under control in normal riding, I wouldn't want to egg one of those types into a "competition" and have someone get hurt. BMWs handle and stop very well, I have no need to prove that to anyone.

I think your sarcasm detector is out of calibration...
wink.gif

Now I think I will go ride...
grin.gif

Perhaps your sarcasm generator needs a reboot. Where does one find some REAL good riders....the Autobahn Polizie, going after the crazys on no speedlimit roads on big BMW bikes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
... BMWs handle and stop very well, I have no need to prove that to anyone.

BMWs go fast now too.

Passing on a K75 was one of those youthful indescretions that I am guilty of.

The K-triple handled and stopped well,and it hid its weight extremely well (that low slung flat engine makes it feel a lot lighter than it is), but my 600 would stomp it out in any speed comparison. ahh....to be young and dumb again.

I'm older now. (only about 31 years of licensed street riding) I would take the K75 everytime. It's not fast but is certainly not slow. The low center of gravity, good handling, good brakes, good comfort....all combine to make an exceptional machine.

But it is all subjective. I didn't like the Sportster (or the Shadow 750RS) because they were not fun to ride. They were lazy and had to be forced to corner. But I did get a Barcalounger on wheels (price and maintenance records had a lot to do with that too) That ridiculous little 2-valve 250 single behind me wants to go. It screams, "I'm a Porsche 911 on two wheels, I am!..." It responds immediately to throttle input below 60mph and the tiny little chocolate donut Conti tires beg to be pitched into a corner. Half throttle from a stop and it sprints away from my Harley riding family and friends and doesn't even draw the slightest of attention from cops. The original formula worked so well that Honda didn't change it for 20 years. It is slow, but it is not lazy. Again. the acceleration is really good for a 250. When I get the roller weights, clutch, torque spring values all dialed in for my weight, it'll be even better. Top speed on level pavement is 82 mph indicated. If you want to roll at 70mph, it'll cruise there, no problem. Beat the snot out of it and it still returns 65mpg. Nobody knows what to make of it...one guy stopped me at Home Depot and asked if I had put wheels on a snowmobile.

So maybe I do understand Sportster riders. What didn't work for me, works for them. It seems ridiculous on paper (and the 883 Iron's 1 1/2 inch of rear travel is ridiculous) but, it works for their riding style and what they expect they expect from their machines.

So if you like the Sporty? Get the Sporty.

Oh, the last I checked Harley and Suzuki ruled the drag strip....

If you're referring to NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle, there is not a single stock Harley part on the bikes. The engines, S&S and V&H, are completely one-off, machined from solid billet parts. They are "Harley" only in the fact that Harley is footing the bill.

The Suzuki's, while mostly custom one-off parts too, do still use stock crankcases.

Basically the NHRA gives the V-twin bikes a bit of an edge, to keep the Harley fans coming to the races.

And to think I was doing good deeds (Kawasaki man) saying good things about Harley & Suzuki, you come along....rascal
smile.gif

I'm just a Motorcyclist. Not a specific brand man. I own a KTM and Suzuki currently, but I've owned all four Japanese brands, a Harley, and some others.

Just passing along some info about NHRA PSM, that people might not be aware of.

Yep and you walk hunched over, put the RC45 away and get a cruiser...haha

Yep... riding a Harley is a Blues thang...

HarleyBluesBike_zpsede25dd9.jpg

HarleyShop01.jpg

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
So maybe I do understand Sportster riders. What didn't work for me, works for them. It seems ridiculous on paper (and the 883 Iron's 1 1/2 inch of rear travel is ridiculous) but, it works for their riding style and what they expect they expect from their machines.

So if you like the Sporty? Get the Sporty.

Finally someone says something smart.

Just to further my argument that Metrics were better

Honda VT500C Shadow: 1/4mi 13.64 seconds at 93.65 MPH
Honda VT600C Shadow VLX: 1/4mi 14.5 sec at 91 MPH
The shaft driven 500 is quicker and faster than the chain driven 600

They detuned them and reconfigured things to give it a specific sound.

But the target was arguably always the Harley Davidson. Credit where credit is due to Harley Davidson for the paint quality, switchgear feel etc... but you eventually have to ride the thing. So back on topic:

Harley Davidson 883 Sportster: 1/4 mi 15.69 seconds at 85mph
...hey, that is marginally quicker than a Honda CMX 250 Rebel. By almost two seconds! About the same margin that an air-cooled two valve Suzuki GS450L Cruiser is quicker than the Sporty.

My wife's big Pacific Coast is a full second quicker than that Sporty...with a smaller engine and an extra 100lbs. (But it will dust her Hyosung GT250...well, at least, on a straight road.) Just...sad.

Note: a 650 Burgman will also dust that Sporty.

Just to further my argument that Metrics were better

Honda VT500C Shadow: 1/4mi 13.64 seconds at 93.65 MPH
Honda VT600C Shadow VLX: 1/4mi 14.5 sec at 91 MPH
The shaft driven 500 is quicker and faster than the chain driven 600

They detuned them and reconfigured things to give it a specific sound.

But the target was arguably always the Harley Davidson. Credit where credit is due to Harley Davidson for the paint quality, switchgear feel etc... but you eventually have to ride the thing. So back on topic:

Harley Davidson 883 Sportster: 1/4 mi 15.69 seconds at 85mph
...hey, that is marginally quicker than a Honda CMX 250 Rebel. By almost two seconds! About the same margin that an air-cooled two valve Suzuki GS450L Cruiser is quicker than the Sporty.

I rode HD before i bought my first new Honda, a VF1100C, it changed my life.
I knew then what a real high power motorcycle was, i never wanted another HD. A few years later i bought a new VMAX, both had awesome power for their time and were smooth and reliable.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I rode HD before i bought my first new Honda, a VF1100C, it changed my life.
I knew then what a real high power motorcycle was, i never wanted another HD. A few years later i bought a new VMAX, both had awesome power for their time and were smooth and reliable.

thumbsup2.gif

The V65 Magna was a whole 'nother level of cruiser.

IIRC, the big Magna had a moment where it was the quickest production street vehicle. I don't remember if it knocked off the GPz750 Turbo or vice-versa, but it was advertised as such. both bikes went into the 10s. Quicker and faster 30+years ago than a V-Rod today.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Yep. So will a BMW C600.

It's about the same as a Silverwing but the little 'wing leaves so hard that the Sporty rider might give up rather than try to chase it down. Not bad for a rubber band drive scoot.

Now, If I could just convince myself to part with 10X what I paid for my current La-Z-Boy scoot and get past the fact that it's powered by a Kymco engine, I could see first hand what a BMW scooter can do.

Where are all those "superbikes" from 30 years ago? There aren't even new versions of them around today. Why is that? For a vehicle that was supposed to be the best this or that ever, they sure faded into oblivion without fanfare. Sure looks like all that "blinding speed" caused people to either crash,lose their license or spike their insurance cost, or just get bored with them fast.Not to mention they weren't worth the cost of rebuilding, just roll it behind the garage and go drool over the latest and greatest waste of money from overseas. History has shown that excessive speed has a lifespan, especially with cheap metric motorcycles.,,

Where are all those "superbikes" from 30 years ago? There aren't even new versions of them around today. Why is that? For a vehicle that was supposed to be the best this or that ever, they sure faded into oblivion without fanfare. Sure looks like all that "blinding speed" caused people to either crash,lose their license or spike their insurance cost, or just get bored with them fast.Not to mention they weren't worth the cost of rebuilding, people would just roll it behind the garage and go drool over the latest and greatest waste of money from overseas. History has shown that excessive speed has a lifespan, especially with cheap throwaway metric motorcycles.,,

V65 Magnas are very collectible. They are still popular.

...and was Harley Davidson really building any sort of quality machine in let's say 1983?

I'd say they were still nursing that AMF hangover at that time.

Just now browsing Craigslist: 2 1983 Harley Davidsons (Electra Glide and Sport Glide) and 5 V65 Magnas

GS1105Es are popular too...or any big GS
Any year VMax

I wont comment on the tangents on scooters or 80's superbikes on a cruiser thread.

I will say one thing....the America with some good mufflers sounds awesome and when you go somewhere you will stand out. When I go to bike nights on my Triumph...people come up and like to talk about my ride. In a world of V twins...you will stand out.

Here is a video of an America with some good Brit Customs slip ons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2FNZ3WlwDU

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Yep. So will a BMW C600.

It's about the same as a Silverwing but the little 'wing leaves so hard that the Sporty rider might give up rather than try to chase it down. Not bad for a rubber band drive scoot.

Now, If I could just convince myself to part with 10X what I paid for my current La-Z-Boy scoot and get past the fact that it's powered by a Kymco engine, I could see first hand what a BMW scooter can do.

You're probably better off with a Burgman 650, or even a Kymco MyRoad 700. The C650 has had some serious issues, and the maintenance on it is really bad.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I wont comment on the tangents on scooters or 80's superbikes on a cruiser thread.

It's not a tangent. A Burgman Executive (or a MyRoad 700, or a Silverwing) is a touring bike!

I think it is probably pretty safe to assume that someone considering these two bikes is not especially concerned about being the fastest thing on the road. Why are we even talking about 1/4 mile times or "embarrassing" some friend on an unknown Harley with unspecified modifications in a 2ton barge, or what the police in Germany do. Who cares.

The real problem with answering the question is that "883 Sportster" isn't very descriptive. It could be a Super Low, Iron, Custom, or Roadster just off the top of my head. It might have buckhorns, or drag bars, a solo seat or a two up seat... big tires, skinny tires or kind of sporty tires. It might have a 4.5 gallon tank a 3.3 gallon tank or a 2.2 gallon tank... depending on how old it is it might even be a rigid mount EVO vs a rubber mount EVO. And that is just if it is stock. Will make significant differences in the answer. The Sportster line is pretty diverse, currently the MoCo makes very touring oriented Sportsters (1200T) and very not touring oriented Sportsters (48, 72) and some stuff in between. People build sportsters in to almost anything from Cafe Racers to Scramblers...

As long as it is a rubber mount, I would be surprised it a parallel twin Triumph vibrated less, it might vibrate different, but I would be surprised if it was less. I mean I probably wouldn't choose either one for a 6 hour dose of super-slab, but for a couple times a year I'd live and either is probably a fine commuter.

Triumph (did at one time at least) have a pretty good selection of accessories and clothing. Not to the extent of HD, but they had windshields, bags, exhaust, jackets, suits and t-shirts...

I think it is probably pretty safe to assume that someone considering these two bikes is not especially concerned about being the fastest thing on the road. Why are we even talking about 1/4 mile times or "embarrassing" some friend on an unknown Harley with unspecified modifications in a 2ton barge, or what the police in Germany do. Who cares.

The real problem with answering the question is that "883 Sportster" isn't very descriptive. It could be a Super Low, Iron, Custom, or Roadster just off the top of my head. It might have buckhorns, or drag bars, a solo seat or a two up seat... big tires, skinny tires or kind of sporty tires. It might have a 4.5 gallon tank a 3.3 gallon tank or a 2.2 gallon tank... depending on how old it is it might even be a rigid mount EVO vs a rubber mount EVO. And that is just if it is stock. Will make significant differences in the answer. The Sportster line is pretty diverse, currently the MoCo makes very touring oriented Sportsters (1200T) and very not touring oriented Sportsters (48, 72) and some stuff in between. People build sportsters in to almost anything from Cafe Racers to Scramblers...

The problem I have with the 883, whether it was a solid mount 4 speed early EVO or a fuel injected rubber mount 2009 model isn't that it is slow. It was that it was unpleasant and underachieving in general.

I owned a Yamaha XZ550 Vision and have had some saddle time on the Honda NT650 Hawk and Suzuki XV800. None of those bikes were fast, but they did everything better than a Sportster. All had V-twins that didn't buzz my hands to sleep at freeway speeds So I am kinda' jaded.

My personal opinion of the Sportster was forever smashed when I rode an R65. It too was slow but it was absolutely brilliant at freeway speed. Once you get over the fact that you have to really crank it over to get near dragging the rocker covers, you realize that it corners really well. And it was smooth. It never intruded on your ride.

Maybe the 883 is the way it is by design. What better way to get you back into the showroom and on to a Dyna or Softail?

I admit, I do have a lot of fun picking on the Sporties. My family and friends were always all about the brand even when it was bad. I've been immersed in it most of my life. I've ridden their bikes. I never once had that moment that I had when riding that R65 (or Ducati Paso or Gold Wing or Buell 1125 which doesn't count as a Harley because it's powered by Rotax, or FJ1200) where the design made sense. It was a good bike to ride. Maybe I just haven't ridden enough Harleys to have that moment.
Don't take it personally because I make fun of some of the metric cruisers too for neutering their own designs chasing a particular sound and style.

In my opinion making fun of what someone else rides is juvenile and points to issues you may have.

We are all different and do not like the same things. I could care less what other people ride. We should be glad that people are out on two wheels. We should be in this together.

I read what you keep saying about Sporters but thats not my experience or the people I know who own them. I know some that are very fast. And my Sportster has yet to vibrate my hands in the least. I believe you are just showing your bias. Haters gotta hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back