What's in your grease gun???

My grease gun still has the last remaining Amsoil purple polymeric gc-lb in it. I use it for my trailer bearings.

The grease gun for the skid steer just emptied its Motomaster lithium #2 blue. Just picked up Federated Co-op semi synthetic Molyguard #1.5.

I think you missed my point. What bearing calls for an ISO 1000 oil in it? My discussion with Valvoline said to not use it in bearings.

View attachment 48838
Just reading this thread, as i am interested in the Cobalt grease.

Did Valvoline say not to use it?? Isn't Iso 1000 like a 90wt gear oil? Its available as a NLGI 2.

The product sheet. Lists a GC Wheel bearing life test.

Omni green grease.
Lots of comments about grease separation and I found that how the gun is stored can make a difference. I took two sections of PVC and made a storage rack, the bottom end caps are not glued so that I can easily clean up pooled grease. The grease seems to separate less and what does leak out is easier to deal with.
View attachment 38942
Just saw this! Thanks for the pic, i am going to build this, looks perfect!

Are you storing the grease gun pressurized ? Or with the rod back and locked?

Just reading this thread, as i am interested in the Cobalt grease.

Did Valvoline say not to use it?? Isn't Iso 1000 like a 90wt gear oil? Its available as a NLGI 2.
ISOchart.jpg

No, a lot thicker

My grease gun finally ran out. When I pulled the tube, I discovered that (for the last few years) I've been using Slick 50 "1" Grease. Supposed to be the "1" grease for everything. It's sorta a green color.

So, in goes a tube of red Mystic JT-6 high-temp.

My grease gun finally ran out. When I pulled the tube, I discovered that (for the last few years) I've been using Slick 50 "1" Grease. Supposed to be the "1" grease for everything. It's sorta a green color.

So, in goes a tube of red Mystic JT-6 high-temp.

Schaefer’s 274 Aluminum Complex

Chevron Delo EP2 for almost everything. Chevron Delo EP2 ESI for high speed bearings (like mower spindles). Tried the ESI on the trucks (what it's supposed to be for) and it didn't do to well.

Used it for over 10 years. Doesn’t wash out on boat trailers, ATV, very sticky, no leaking from grease gun in HOT Mississippi summers.

Used it for over 10 years. Doesn’t wash out on boat trailers, ATV, very sticky, no leaking from grease gun in HOT Mississippi summers.

Just saw this! Thanks for the pic, i am going to build this, looks perfect!

Are you storing the grease gun pressurized ? Or with the rod back and locked?
I just put them back the way they are when I'm done. It would require longer sections of PVC if I locked the rod all the way back.

Whatever came with those Plews mini grease guns. You know, those yellow tubes?

I haven't seen either around in years. I might have pitched it.

Valvoline Cerulean. Works great, but upon perusing the specs it claims its lowest usable temp is 25° ABOVE zero?!?! That seems MUCH higher than any other conventional (non-synthetic) NLGI #2 grease i've ever seen. Typical is in the vicinity of -10°F, give or take a few.

I wonder if that's a typo or mistake, or if the stuff actually turns to a ball of wax at temps barely below freezing? Either way, my last tube is nearly empty, so I plan on ordering something else. Probably either the Timken or Spicer red stuff.

Back