Thoughts on tractor trailer chassis grease

On my tractor trailer I'm looking for a great option for a chassis grease, brake cams, u-joints, spring pins and so on. A GC-LB grease.

I'm currently using mystik JT-6 #2 w/o moly high temp, red tube, red grease. Reading from a lot of people's opinions is why I chose it. I'm needing to buy a 35# pale of grease and I'm looking for input. The mystik grease seems to stay in place much better than the Chevron ESI EP#2 grease I used to use and also. The Chevron seemed to bleed a lot in the grease gun and case where the mystik does not. The Chevron seemed to "sling" a lot more from the u-joints also.

So my question, is the mystik still a good suggested best option? I've been using the mystik for over a year, but my supplier sells gulf, Kendall, Philips 66, mystik and several other I believe. I don't want to mess with moly, I'm reading a high content of moly is bad for universal joints. I'm not looking for extended grease intervals, I grease every 6500 miles, full chassis front to back minus the fifth wheel.

Thanks in advance..

I like Mystik JT6 high temp. without moly (red) and with moly (grey) for the appropriate applications. It has never let me down. Functions well pumping from a grease gun in various temperatures. Little to no leak out from the grease gun and stays in place/attaches to metal surfaces well.

2 greases that have caused me confusion/issues is:
-Valvoline Synpower. It is supposed to be good for temps. -40F - 425 degrees F. For me it doesn't want to pump well in the cold and it seems dry as the oil leaked out. It also doesn't want to attach to the metal surface due to the dry nature as my tube is 5 years old.

- Now my Schaeffers 238 which is 4 years old now starting to seem dry also and getting harder to pump and less willing to attach to surfaces with a dry feel, but not as bad as Synpower.

I will most likely be reducing down to the 2 Mystik JT6 greases above for all my applications. The price is "right" and it hasn't let me down. If I could change one thing it would be nice if the operating temperature was lower than the -10 F.

I have not used the Chevron grease.

Does the tractor trailer have requirements that are not listed by the Mystik JT6?

Last edited:
I had 12 dump trucks and 2 tractors hauling asphalt, gravel and ash.

I had air greasers, battery greasers and 2 handhelds.

The air greasers were too easy to overgrease, the battery greasers were a PITA and the handhelds with pistol grips almost always won out.

Ive used many greases and the Mystik is the best bang for the buck..easy to find and seems to have great washout resistance.

If i had one truck and trailer i would get a case of Mystik and a pistol grip Alemite 555 and call it a day.

Originally Posted by zfasts03
I like Mystik JT6 high temp. without moly (red) and with moly (grey) for the appropriate applications. It has never let me down. Functions well pumping from a grease gun in various temperatures. Little to no leak out from the grease gun and stays in place/attaches to metal surfaces well.

2 greases that have caused me confusion/issues is:
-Valvoline Synpower. It is supposed to be good for temps. -40F - 425 degrees F. For me it doesn't want to pump well in the cold and it seems dry as the oil leaked out. It also doesn't want to attach to the metal surface due to the dry nature as my tube is 5 years old.

- Now my Schaeffers 238 which is 4 years old now starting to seem dry also and getting harder to pump and less willing to attach to surfaces with a dry feel, but not as bad as Synpower.

I will most likely be reducing down to the 2 Mystik JT6 greases above for all my applications. The price is "right" and it hasn't let me down. If I could change one thing it would be nice if the operating temperature was lower than the -10 F.

I have not used the Chevron grease.

Does the tractor trailer have requirements that are not listed by the Mystik JT6?

I don't know of any requirements, my concern was if there was a better option. I'm very happy with the mystik, just thought I would ask. I'm not really in the Schaeffer's bandwagon so I won't really get into that.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I had 12 dump trucks and 2 tractors hauling asphalt, gravel and ash.

I had air greasers, battery greasers and 2 handhelds.

The air greasers were too easy to overgrease, the battery greasers were a PITA and the handhelds with pistol grips almost always won out.

Ive used many greases and the Mystik is the best bang for the buck..easy to find and seems to have great washout resistance.

If i had one truck and trailer i would get a case of Mystik and a pistol grip Alemite 555 and call it a day.

I use a Lincoln air grease with a feather trigger, I'm pretty good with it. And a Milwaukee battery one that does a good job. It would take forever to grease my truck and trailer with a pistol grip. I'd have forearm muscles for days though. 🤣

I select moly/no moly on this basis.

The slow moving joints that get the pounding, like tie rod ends, ball joints, pitman arm, steering links, and sliding splines on driveshafts get the moly JT6.

U-joints and wheel bearings get the no moly JT6.

TRC ---TEXAS REFINERY 880 CROWN AND CHASSIS

will not pound out, will not wash out .. if your truck is how you make money ? then get serious and

Check out STEVE IS THE OIL GUY on YouTube

Last edited:
The Mystik grease is a decent grease for the money, but you can reduce your grease consumption with a premium grease. The TRC 880 mentioned above is a great example. A lot of people can't get over paying more for the grease, but once they find out they only use half as much as don't have to crawl under the truck as often they look at it differently.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Paying more up front at times can mean paying less in the long run.

I'm not seeing any reps near me. And I'm not seeing a 35lb pail. I'm going to call Texas refinery today and see what they say.

Back