What's in your grease gun???

Never needed a grease gun until recently when I replaced the non-greasable u-joints on my Tacoma with Spicer units with zerk fittings. Then we got the 4runner this year, which, despite being 2WD, actually does have greasable u-joints.

Bought this and a grease gun from Harbor Freight, and I’ve been using this on the u-joints of the Taco & 4Runner, but the oil has been separating and leaking out of the grease gun, making a real mess.

Not to mention, the fact that the oil is separating and leaking out of the grease gun makes me conclude that it’s highly likely that the same thing is probably happening at the u-joints as well, probably reducing its effectiveness quite a bit.

Suggestions for an NLGI #2 moly-fortified lithium-base grease that the oil won’t separate from and leak everywhere?

View attachment 63044

I had the same problem with a Hobo Freight gun and Mobil 1 grease. Leaked like a sieve. I’m not sure if it was the gun or the grease or both. I’ve read multiple times on different websites that Mobil 1 grease is bad about separating and leaking.

So I replaced them with a Lincloln 1134 gun and a tube of Mystik JT-6 and it doesn’t leak a drop, even on the hottest days.

I had the same problem with a Hobo Freight gun and Mobil 1 grease. Leaked like a sieve. I’m not sure if it was the gun or the grease or both. I’ve read multiple times on different websites that Mobil 1 grease is bad about separating and leaking.

So I replaced them with a Lincloln 1134 gun and a tube of Mystik JT-6 and it doesn’t leak a drop, even on the hottest days.
Thanks. I’ll look into those!

I finally needed to buy some last year. Got a case of 6 of Mobil 1 SHC 220 Racing Multi-purpose NLGI 2 Extreme Pressure Grease. Only thing I use it on is the John Deere F510. Twice a year for chassis and three times for blade and front wheel spindles.

Still working on a tube of Royal Purple aluminum complex #2 in one grease gun, and now have Schaeffer’s #219 Synforce Green aluminum complex NLGI #2 in the other.

Going to be switching over to Schaeffer’s #219 at work as well, now we’ve finally run through a pallet of Cenex Blue Guard #2.

SuperLube silicone grease. Used for poly bushings and the occasional squeaky car door pivot points.

Same.

And learned this week from Lucas that you can't mix it with their green Xtra Heavy Duty Grease. The XHDG can't be mixed with their marine grease.
I didn't know that. I'm guessing the soaps aren't compatible?

I had shell gadus, now some no name stuff from Canadian Tire my father in law bought for my garage after I started doing oil changes on his cargo vans in it.
Finally realized I know nothing about grease. I guess I should just look for NLGI #2? it's basically just going to be used in the steering components and ball joints of my 05 Silverado and 2 Chevy Express vans.
Is there a better choice in grease for winter usage when it's typically below 0?

Back