What's best for extended drains: GC, M1 or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Years ago when I was young and dumb I was going from Winsor to Toronto (maybe 401 or 405, someting like that) and running 111 MPH, that was the top speed the vacuum cruise control would hold.

Looking in the rear view mirror I see a semi coming up on me "fast" - I look again, yep it is a semi. The truck passes me rather briskly.

I use the CB radio and ask the driver what speed he is doing, he says 138 MPH.
Think about it. [/QB]

how does a semi do 138mph?

quote:

Originally posted by berge:

quote:

Years ago when I was young and dumb I was going from Winsor to Toronto (maybe 401 or 405, someting like that) and running 111 MPH, that was the top speed the vacuum cruise control would hold.

Looking in the rear view mirror I see a semi coming up on me "fast" - I look again, yep it is a semi. The truck passes me rather briskly.

Think about it.
how does a semi do 138mph? [/QB]

The govenor, was, um, broken I bet.

Dan

In my old 2001 Honda Civic, which I used mainly to commute back and forth long distances to college (75 miles each way), I used M1 5W-30 and M1 filters at 10,000 mile OCIs with no problems whatsoever.

Nowadays, if I were to do it again, I'd choose to use a less expensive filter (Purolator, Baldwin, Wix, etc.) because I think they're just as good as the M1s when it really comes down to it.

Try changing the filter and topping off at 5k if you're really concerned about going to 10k intervals.

I haven't tried it in a US car, but the Europeans have been doing it forever. Any A3 rated oil should be able to do 7500 to 10k mi. OCI's.

If you want 'the best' long-drain oil, then I would have to say Amsoil (even though I have never used the product either). They marked 25k mi. OCI's....that's a long-drain interval that I don't believe can be achieved with any store-bought oil.

quote:

Some other guys comes on the CB and says "There are old drivers and there are bold drivers but there are no old bold drivers". Think about it.

Back in 1994-1996, I used to drive from NY City to Boston on a fairly regular basis. Used a 351 v-8 Ford Bronco. I swear I saw many an 18-wheeler going merrily on his way at speeds well exceeding the ton (100 mph). Never dared to tell people about these 100-mph semi's. I was afraid it'd be like Area 51 or Bermuda Triangle or something......they would have the guys in white coats come for me. Now thanks to your post, I know I am not crazy, and I know I was not hallucinating. Those Semi's can cook!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Back in 1994-1996, I used to drive from NY City to Boston on a fairly regular basis. Used a 351 v-8 Ford Bronco. I swear I saw many an 18-wheeler going merrily on his way at speeds well exceeding the ton (100 mph). Never dared to tell people about these 100-mph semi's. I was afraid it'd be like Area 51 or Bermuda Triangle or something......they would have the guys in white coats come for me. Now thanks to your post, I know I am not crazy, and I know I was not hallucinating. Those Semi's can cook!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone remember Stephen Speilberg's Duel ?
wink.gif

John_ertw, I drive back and forth between Oshawa and Toronto, not quite the distance that you're doing, but the speed ranges seem familiar. Mostly drive a '95 Cirrus (2.5L,V6), probably spins over a little higher on the hwy than your 3.4 . I've been using Rotella T, 0-40 100% synthetic - you can get it at Canadian Tire for $29.95 @ 4L jug (about 50 cents @ L. more than GC). The Rotella syn. sold in Canada is a PAO, unlike the Rotella sold in the States (at least it was last February). The 0-40 gave me no problems or unusual noises with winter starts and I like the idea of a 40 when I'm on the 401 and no-one is in front of me, if ya' know what I mean. I know, in my Olds(403ci), if I do sustained 90+ mph (on very rare occasions, Ugly3)my oil pressure gauge goes from, just over 50psi (at 70 mph) to just over 40psi - so we know the oil is thinning when the engine is working harder and generating more heat. I would assume a similar change occurs in my Cirrus and your Grand Am, hence the bias towards a 40. The Rotella, being a HDEO, is well suited to long OCI's. The Cirrus currently has 10,400 kms on this oil and I haven't had to add any yet. I'm going to be trying the GC soon, just 'cause I've already got some and I'm curious, but to date I've yet to use an oil (I haven't used them all)that's "hung in" like the Rotella.
Your filter? You can get Baldwins from Acklands-Grainger and if they make an "HPG" filter for your application, they're tough to beat. Regular Baldwin filter is probably around 7-8 bucks and the Baldwin HPG's are likely 10-11 bucks. I've tried to find Purolators around here and had no luck. My uneducated guess is that the Baldwin HPG's are on a par with Purolator PURE-ONES.
BTW, I can't recall if someones already mentioned it, but if you can't find a suitable oversize filter and your stuck with that pusillanimous AC47 and doing long OCI's, you may want to consider changing out the filter around the halfway mark. Regards, Doug.

After reading the entire thread, John, I'd recommend the GC, as it's a thick 30 weight, as many ppl have suggested, almost a 40 weight, which will thin out as your oil heats up.

offtopic.gif

I do have to say that you must be travelling to the Barrie area to work, as there is no way that there's someone doing a buck sixty INTO the city during morning rush.

offtopic.gif

And for those not in the know, the section of Highway 401 that he's talking about is known as the busiest highway in North America.

There are a lot of oils that I would like to try, but come this weekend, I'm going to pick one and go with it for several months. So far I think my choice will be GC unless something changes my mind.

quote:

Originally posted by Vuarra:
I do have to say that you must be travelling to the Barrie area to work, as there is no way that there's someone doing a buck sixty INTO the city during morning rush.

And for those not in the know, the section of Highway 401 that he's talking about is known as the busiest highway in North America.

It's kind of funny how this thread has gone way off topic (it's now about the drive itself as opposed to the best oil to use for the drive). Let me try to clear things up a little.

First of all, I'm never said I'm driving at 160km/h (100mph). I said that I'm ONLY driving at 140km/h (90mph)
grin.gif
And that is only for short bursts. My average speed is 120km/h (75mph).

I'm travelling to Alliston, taking the 400 for 60 of the 80km and highway 89 for the rest (89 is a two lane highway where people travel at speeds of 80-100km/h except where it passes through Cookstown where we slow down to 50km/h). I start work early (leave home around 6:30am) and I am going against traffic, therefore it's like driving on a practically empty road. If I were travelling into Toronto in the morning or all the way into Barrie, Vuarra would be right about it being impossible to travel at the speeds I stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back