What would Walter think of his brand, today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In contrast, my father mentioned several times that the best car he ever owned was a 1949 Chrysler coupe. Black. Semi-automatic transmission. It had plenty of get up and go.

Forgot the most important part; it had a hemispherical engine.

Last edited:
The best modern Chryslers were made by Mitsubishi
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Mitsubishi made engines for millions of Chrysler vehicles during that time. They too caught the same virus and are now a empty shell of what they once were. I’m not sure even with Nissan’s backing that they will be around much longer. It’s too bad. I enjoyed owning two Mitsu vehicles that lasted many years.

This famous quote says it all for Chrysler and Mitsubishi.

“For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
- Gen. George C. Patton

No bashing, here. Chrysler and DeSoto of the 30's were great cars. I've driven restored versions of both and really enjoyed them. The DeSoto Airflow is an amazing car. If you like art deco this is your car.

Another Chrysler bashing thread, psst he was probably more ticked off when Dumbler Benz stole the 18 billion Chrysler had in 98 and robbed them blind, stole the money and skrewed every which way.

I think FCA will be fine, new Wrangler, new Scrambler truck, refreshed Cherokee, new WL in the works, new in line 6 Tornado engine, etc

Plus a Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, new Ram and new Challenger Charger in few years.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Also, just remember the fact that if it wasn't for FIAT, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram may have all have gone the same way as Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, and Plymouth by this point in time.

Why would that have been a bad thing? Nothing special in any of those brands and they should have died 30+ years ago when Chrysler went bankrupt the first time. Nothing different than those other brands or the many others that went the way of the DoDo bird.

Originally Posted By: yeti

our pool bets are automatic on a few topics, and this topic is the main one, since pops was banned. ---guy is a serious chryco basher, and I've won 2 pools this year, by picking when he will bash/cry/whine in the thread. just luck, and thankyou, ---guy. in a recent basher thread, he was called out by another about his never ending bashing on bitog, and several other sites. how pathetic it that -- when a guy goes on multiple sites to bash/cry about a product ?

Its as pathetic as worrying about what someone else posts and stalking them....

In fairness, the Dodges were building cars well before Walter P was.
I wonder what they'd think?
Other than the unfortunate chain of ownership and control, from publicly held company to DB to some Canadian vultures to Fiat, Chrysler survives as a brand and offers some products I'd consider owning.
If I were Walter P, I'd be proud to look at some of the performance offerings the Chrysler and Dodge brands have these days.
The Italian stuff is another matter, but GM and Ford have both offered vehicles made by entities that weren't really Ford or GM and GM continues to do so.
Finally, there is a lot of nonsense about how bad the Chryco minivans are, but you can't buy anything from anyone that's better overall than a Dodge GC or a Chrysler Pacifica for anything close to the same money at actual retail.
We have a couple of GCs in the fleet at work and they've been utterly trouble free and either would laugh off any of the Avengers or Fusions we have in any contest of speed.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I thought I'd never by a Chrysler, was always a guy who liked Toyota or Honda. Then my Sienna was at the point that it needed constant repairs since it was 18 years old.

I was looking for another replacement but most used vans were priced too high and needed too many repairs. Got a good deal in my 2015 caravan with zero pct financing.

The van has been fine for me, only issue was a bad gas cap. I'm a convert for FCA products.

Your van is literally new, you all are driving new vehicles, so you shouldnt have any issues this soon anyways. If you never keep vehicles very long it wont matter much as to which you buy. Not trying to bash Chrysler, their prices are good, I just doubt it would last as long with as few repairs as other brands. Ive driven a caravan and the drive very well, but Id be concerned about once the miles rack up on them and age too. If I kept my vehicles for under 10 yrs and didnt put too much mileage on them id consider all brands.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
My Ram is the first Chrysler product I have ever owned. It has been flawless since I bought it new in June of 2015.

Id hope so...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: JC1
I thought I'd never by a Chrysler, was always a guy who liked Toyota or Honda. Then my Sienna was at the point that it needed constant repairs since it was 18 years old.

I was looking for another replacement but most used vans were priced too high and needed too many repairs. Got a good deal in my 2015 caravan with zero pct financing.

The van has been fine for me, only issue was a bad gas cap. I'm a convert for FCA products.

Your van is literally new, you all are driving new vehicles, so you shouldnt have any issues this soon anyways. If you never keep vehicles very long it wont matter much as to which you buy. Not trying to bash Chrysler, their prices are good, I just doubt it would last as long with as few repairs as other brands. Ive driven a caravan and the drive very well, but Id be concerned about once the miles rack up on them and age too. If I kept my vehicles for under 10 yrs and didnt put too much mileage on them id consider all brands.

I don't know, mine seems to be holding up okay. Minus the slow oil leak because I broke the PCV nozzle on the rear valve cover because reasons.

I'll replace it eventually...

They can’t produce them cheap enough to fit SK’s corporate price dumping strategies

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Didnt Mitsu just get nailed again in yet another corruption scandal?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/23/news/companies/mitsubishi-materials-false-data-kobe-steel/index.html

and as fast as you can say valve guide update. the only thing Mitsu sold mopar was junk 3.0 oil burners!

They sold millions of 3.0 V6's and 2.6 litre 4-bangers...which powered hundreds of thousands of minivans.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
In fairness, the Dodges were building cars well before Walter P was.
I wonder what they'd think?
Other than the unfortunate chain of ownership and control, from publicly held company to DB to some Canadian vultures to Fiat, Chrysler survives as a brand and offers some products I'd consider owning.
If I were Walter P, I'd be proud to look at some of the performance offerings the Chrysler and Dodge brands have these days.
The Italian stuff is another matter, but GM and Ford have both offered vehicles made by entities that weren't really Ford or GM and GM continues to do so.
Finally, there is a lot of nonsense about how bad the Chryco minivans are, but you can't buy anything from anyone that's better overall than a Dodge GC or a Chrysler Pacifica for anything close to the same money at actual retail.
We have a couple of GCs in the fleet at work and they've been utterly trouble free and either would laugh off any of the Avengers or Fusions we have in any contest of speed.

Absolutely. My extremely well off friend Jim has BMW and others in his stable yet drives his newer Chrysler minivan almost everywhere. He says it's because it drives so nicely and is so versatile.

My 300C SRT8 has been an exceptional performer since August 05, with nearly no repairs, assuredly the best performance type vehicle I have owned across a near 50 year period of always having something hot in my garages. Still sweet, tight, and ready to run for it.

This thread is yet another example of extreme bias, just allows the haters to run their mouths about something they read in CR or some equally worthless rag.

I know a few owners of neons, Early 200, Journey and Caliber. They all build the negative rap for Chrysler. However the owners of V8 300C adore the vehicle and minivan owners happy with their purchases. Polarizing car maker.

I seem to remember, just before the bailout, a news story out of Detroit about Chrysler assembly workers getting drunk on their lunch hour. My wife had a PT from that era. It was a real lemon. She now has a 2012 Grand Caravan made in Ontario. It’s been trouble-free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
I seem to remember, just before the bailout, a news story out of Detroit about Chrysler assembly workers getting drunk on their lunch hour. My wife had a PT from that era. It was a real lemon. She now has a 2012 Grand Caravan made in Ontario. It’s been trouble-free.

I seem to remember reading something in this vein about every car maker out there.
Not sure how much to credit these stories.
To be fair, the PT Cruiser was never on anyone's list of durable and reliable vehicles.
After all, it was little more than a Neon in drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back