What was your (reasonable) dream car as a teen?

1970 Hemi Charger RT 4 speed was the dream, 1974 318 Charger SE with an auto was what I could afford and ended up with when I was 16.

View attachment 68039

Shows like the Dukes of Hazard make me so sick and I cannot even watch them. I don't think they appreciated or cared at the time but destroying over 300 of those classic Challengers just makes me ill and a little bit angry.

These were my two biggest "reasonable" loves coming up through high school. Was always fascinated with a 4-cylinder Mustang that could out-handle and out-run the GT. And I believed Acura hung the moon and the stars back then. The Integra and Legend coupe were my definitions of cool, while everyone around me in that one-horse town wanted Trans Ams and Corvettes.

View attachment 68125

View attachment 68126

I actually ended up with the latter as a car to drive in college. Or at least until my parents needed it and I got their hand me down. It did see me through grad school though. It was light, tossable, and had decent power for the weight. It only had an automatic (my parents wouldn't agree to any car they couldn't drive).

When I could afford my own, I got a 1995 Integra GS-R. Loved that car but eventually it was stolen and stripped. My insurance company said it should be totaled instead of repaired, and I got a decent settlement. I already had another car.

Thinking about more cars - maybe a 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT. That was when they finally put in a V6 and severely changed the styling. And it's stretching it because I would have been 19, but the Toyota MR2 Turbo was available then.

I was thinking about limiting it to the teen years because obviously things change when we can actually afford to buy our own cars.

How about a nice Grand Marquis ??

Either / or works. Don't want to destroy a nice one in the salt though.

There's a decent 2001 for sale with 80K miles for $4k. I don't know if that's good or bad with today's used car market.

A 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 was me fantasy car before I was able go get my drivers license.

Had a friend back in the late 80's that had a Shelby CSX like this one.
88_Dodge_Shadow_Shelby_CSX-T.jpg

A Fox body Mustang 5.0! I wanted one so bad I could barely stand it. Ended up buying a 1990 GT in 1998 for $7500 my junior year of high school. My parents did not have a lot of money but they kicked in $5,000 toward the purchase and I paid the rest and the maintenance, mods, insurance and gas. Very nice gesture from them at the time. Sold it in 2010.
Here's my pile. I miss it

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1622876781811.jpg
    FB_IMG_1622876781811.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
mercury_marquis_1973_wallpapers_1.jpg

Hawaii 5-0 was popular back then and they drove these boats. Thought the 4 door understated styling was cool. Since they were still too expensive late model used cars, I ended up buying a previous generation '72 coupe for $550 that got 50 miles per quart of transmission fluid.
My grandfather had one of these as a company car.

These were my two biggest "reasonable" loves coming up through high school. Was always fascinated with a 4-cylinder Mustang that could out-handle and out-run the GT. And I believed Acura hung the moon and the stars back then. The Integra and Legend coupe were my definitions of cool, while everyone around me in that one-horse town wanted Trans Ams and Corvettes.

View attachment 68125

View attachment 68126
I was the same way. I always liked the cars that were rare and different. When I was in high school everyone drooled over Camaros, Trans Ams, and Mustangs. I always wanted to pull up to school one day in either a 300ZX turbo or a turbo Buick.

I'm a 90's kid, born in late '89.

I definitely had an "era." A very narrow one at that. I always wanted a 2002-2006 Ferrari 575M Maranello. 5.7L V12. Grigio Titanio - amore a prima vista! I loved this car and it's predecessor, the 550 Maranello, long before it was idolized in Bad Boys 2.
View attachment 68059

But since the title says reasonable, I always liked the following 3, in this order:

#1 - 2003-2004 Ford Mustang SVT [Terminator] Cobra - 4.6L Supercharged DOHC 4V

Leave it bone stock (maybe except for the Eaton and tint) and DON'T screw with the cosmetics. Black or Sonic Blue for the win.

View attachment 68060

View attachment 68061

#2 - 1998-2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 5.7L LS1

Again, leave it bone stock (I don't care for the rims below). Black, T-top, and T-56 or GTFO. No talking allowed!

View attachment 68063

#3 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 5.7L LS1

This one actually *requires* at least one mod IMO - smoked headlights (pictured below). Onyx Black and T-56 or go home.

View attachment 68064

Of course life always throws you a curveball. I came so close, yet not close enough to owning these fine specimens. Here's what I actually owned in order (skipping my first beater). These are exact look-alikes, down to the meticulous details:

1996 Ford Mustang GT - 4.6L SOHC 2V, T-45, Laser Red

View attachment 68067

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - 5.7L LT1, T-56, Arctic White, 30th Anniversary Package (Not to be confused with the 30th Anniversary Edition SS LT4 with the stripes). My all-time favorite transmission, but my all-time most hated part under a hood - the Opti-Spark.

View attachment 68066

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Hardtop - 4.6L SOHC 2V, TR-3650, Dark Shadow Grey. Couldn't find an image with my exact setup, so I had to rip an image from a video.

View attachment 68069

Now I drive a Hyundai :LOL:
That body style Trans Am was one of the best looking cars ever made. Nothing made today even comes close.

Back