What was your (reasonable) dream car as a teen?

First-generation Mazda RX-7. It came out when I was starting high school, and I was (and still am) a rotary-engine nut. Never did get one, and those cars are old and rare in good condition now.

Cadillac Eldorado. Had a teacher in H.S. who had a 1968 Eldorado. He let me drive it before I had a driver license. Did not hear a thing in it with the windows closed. Ended up buying a used Coupe DeVille after I got my license. Made my long commute to work nice and comfy.

For me it was the 1990 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 and the Eclipse GS-X

1631027391472.jpg

1631027440896.jpg

I got my license in 1971 at age 16. The only American cars on my wish list was a 1963 Corvette Coupe and a late 1940's Willys Overland 4WD that I could put a small block V8 in.
Otherwise my thoughts were towards an Austin Healey 3000, a Jaguar XKE and a Meyers Manx with a fully built 1600cc engine.

In the intervening years the only American car to tickle my fancy was a 1982 Camaro Z28 which I bought and regretted within 30 days.

I drove a 1972 Dodge Challenger. I parked cars at a dealership so I experienced lots of cool cars. I burnout tested many vehicles.

67-68 Mustang with a four speed and a 390. Fastback. Looked great to my eyes then and still does now. Sadly still just as unaffordable to me now as it was in junior high.

Growing up as a 90's car kid, I didn't have much to choose from as far as "reasonable" dream cars. I've long been attracted to a vehicle based more on it's uniqueness to me personally than how it's viewed by the masses. I can think of several vehicles that I "lusted" after in my younger days and also had the pleasure of owning after I was granted the freedom of a drivers license:

Lincoln Mark VIII
Olds Aurora
Cadillac Seville
Mercury Marauder
WJ Grand Cherokee (although I still lust after owning an ZJ 5.9 Limited)
Ford Thunderbird (90's edition)
1st gen Eclipse x2
Volvo 960
1st gen W-body Buick Regal GS

Not a single car on that list would be considered "desirable" to most teens/twenty somethings, but I loved every single one of them for unique reasons. I have one honorable mention, not exactly a car I "lusted" after but knew the second I saw it that I had to have it: the 1996 Corolla stripper-grade trim I found online with a JDM supercharged MR-2 engine and LSD equipped 5-speed trans swapped into it. Boy was that thing a RIOT to rip around in!

As a kid my dream car was the 96-2000 subaru impreza STi wagon. Sure we got a wagon version in canada, but did not have the aggressive bumpers/side skirts, stiff suspension, Alcantara seats, 4piston front brakes, stronger tranny and turbo engine.

Imported a 98 Wagon STi august of 2014 and so happy with it.

Last edited:
Back