What was your first cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Kyocera 2325 on a prepaid Verizon plan. $10 a month and only 250 texts a month.

Phone lasted me I think 3 or 4 years. Then there was a connection that went bad from the phone being on vibrate and the display stopped working.

Edit: it's 2017 and I still only have 250 texts a month. Don't even come close!

Get a Google Voice number, free texts and minimal data usage.

That's what I have been doing the past 4 or 5 years. Love it! Plus I can text from the tablet/computer/phone ... anything.

Motorola flip phone circa 1996. I was on the Cellular One network. Back when you had to dial numbers in and had to be careful about "roaming".
Probably $30 a month for 200 minutes or something.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
GTE Mobile Net Motorola phone- back in 1993

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1992-Mot...r-/152584607768

Something similar on Ameritech in 1996. Moved to Sprint PCS after a year or so because I was travelling the nation for work and wanted a nationwide provider.

Before I had a dedicated phone line for the modem, I had call forwarding. So when I'd get online, I had the dial string forward my calls to my cell. That way, people could reach me when I was on-line.

How times have changed in the past 21 years.

IPhone 4s and I am 46. Work sent it to me but I had to pay for plan.

Drove my wife crazy since I met her (2001) but email and instant messaging worked fine for me.

LG PM-225

LG_PM_225_Red_3.jpg

Motorola bag phone, like this, I still have it in a closet somewhere, I don't have the lead acid battery that powered it.

tumblr_lx44o5krYc1qclc5t.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was a Motorola V300 flip phone back in 2005. It was great! It had so many cool little applications installed, and I loved being connected with it. I had really cool ringtones and notifications that I customized for it, uploaded from a computer. Haha. Like a notification from a certain person would have a Klingon voice say "Federation ship Enterprise, surrender and prepare to be boarded!" or another one would be a dyno pull of a 1JZ-GTE with a big single turbo spooling up, roaring, and then blowing off.

I was a very late adopter when it came to phones. I was in the middle of college when I got mine.

Eventually it developed problems and T-mobile replaced it with an awful Samsung phone that I couldn't stand. So I went to Verizon and picked up the Motorola e815, which turned out to be a legendary phone. I happily used it for a long while. I still have that phone in fact!

My 1st was a beat up Nokia Banana I got 2nd hand. After The MATRIX came out the local cell phone dealer started selling kits to make them spring loaded like the movie. I ended up keeping that phone for years just because of that dorky feature. That and the call quality and signal was amazing on it. I always had to fight with SNET/Cingular because I lived along the shore and the phone would ROAM on to Long Island towers across the sound (CT in to NY).

I held out without a cell until 2001, and then bought...the Palmphone!
I was a grad student at the time and was constantly using my Palm Pilot as an organizer. It was fairly marginal as a phone (plugged into the top of the Palm through an accessory cartridge-like slot), and I maybe saw one other person with one, ever. Service was through Voicestream, which eventually became T-Mobile.

Used it for a couple years and then forgot to back up my data on the Palm for a long while...and lost a ton of important stuff on the device and stopped using it.

I held out until about 2008 closing in on 40yrs old! First was a Motorola Razr flip. It's been downhill in terms of saving money ever since. Paying ~$200/mo for 4 smart phones wasn't even on my radar then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back