Landline house phone question

Have a phone, with 2 handheld phones and the recharging base unit.
Phone both have 2 AAA batteries. (rechargeable type)

Battery in one crapped out. Installed regular AAA batteries, it would not work until I installed rechargeable batteries.
How does it sense what battery type I have in the phones?

Battery in one crapped out. Installed regular AAA batteries, it would not work until I installed rechargeable batteries.

I can't tell you why, but I've also got a Panasonic setup like you mention that acts the same way.

BTW: When the original batteries started to tucker out, I bought some AAA rechargeables from either eBay or Amazon with around 800 a/h capacity. They work WAY better than originals.

probably because that phone will recharge the batteries when put on the base. Doesn't like regular alkaline because it's not set up to charge those..

I can't tell you why, but I've also got a Panasonic setup like you mention that acts the same way.
I just installed some regular alkaline AAA batteries in my Panasonic headset and it powered up just fine. Alas, the batteries were somewhat used (at 1.2V) so maybe that's why it got tricked. Don't have any fresh batteries to try, but I'm guessing they'd get rejected due to voltage being too high.

Appreciate the answers. Did not know the voltage difference in rechargeable batteries.
Own a voltmeter and was too stupid to try that. I DID use it after installing the new batteries and they tested fine.
Never tested the good ones in the phone for voltage.

You actually have copper phone lines in use at your house or are you using VOIP?

More than likely that phone was produced in a timeline where they had to have the batteries easily removable for proper disposal. They did you a solid by making them a standard size.

More than likely that phone was produced in a timeline where they had to have the batteries easily removable for proper disposal. They did you a solid by making them a standard size.

As I recall, even since the early 90s batteries have been easily removeable from cordless phones.

I just installed some regular alkaline AAA batteries in my Panasonic headset and it powered up just fine. Alas, the batteries were somewhat used (at 1.2V) so maybe that's why it got tricked. Don't have any fresh batteries to try, but I'm guessing they'd get rejected due to voltage being too high.
Found and installed fresh AAA alkalines. The headset switched on and said "Use rechargeable battery" LOL

You actually have copper phone lines in use at your house or are you using VOIP?
My good-ol-fashioned land line phone will does me just fine. Everyone always tells me I sound very clear on my phone, they ask me "Randy, how do you sound so crisp and clear on your phone?" and I tell them "I'm using a land line! If you want to sound clear, take your cell phone and throw it in the trash!" This new technology is a load of garbage if you ask me.

Standard AA/AAA rechargeable battery powered cordless phones are pretty common now. I remember that as far as my (2002) Siemens Gigaset phone set, which was amazing. It came with AA NiCad (might have been 600 mAh) but the instructions said that it could use any NiMH. For years I used 2000 mAh Eneloops although those inevitably failed. That phone had amazing range - I could walk a block away and still use it.

Panasonic is probably the biggest maker of cordless phones, although I'm thinking V-Tech is second. They have purpose built NiMH AAA batteries. I suppose the claim is that they work better in an application where it's charged in-situ with a charging cradle. However, they're kind of expensive. I'd probably just use AAA batteries from Ikea since they're a lot cheaper.

5774906_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Last edited:
I removed the NiMH batteries from my cordless, rechargable Panasonic landline phone and replaced them with Amazon Basic AAA batteries. It works fine.

I wonder if recognizing non-rechargable batteries is a safety thing? Anyone tried recharging alkaline batteries lately?

I removed the NiMH batteries from my cordless, rechargable Panasonic landline phone and replaced them with Amazon Basic AAA batteries. It works fine.

I wonder if recognizing non-rechargable batteries is a safety thing? Anyone tried recharging alkaline batteries lately?
I think OP tried using non-rechargeable batteries. The phone is not set-up to not charge them.

Voltage ? Thought it had thermos bottle technology …
They always know if you want hot or cold 😷

Back