Will vibrations kill cylindrical batteries?

I know this is a common discussion about car batteries and how they handle everything in a harsh environment, but what about AA batteries, especially rechargeable ones that might be expected to be used a while. My kid has outgrown it, but we still have one of these where I’ve used Panasonic Eneloop (circa 2014) since I got the batteries. Before that we were using alkaline AAs. It’s also the only device I still use that has 3 AAs, although I’ve got an old Grundig radio with a hand crank. I preferred to use rechargeable batteries but they were the old style before low self discharge.

It did occur to me that there are battery powered **ahem** massagers out there. Well at least something like this which runs on AAAs.

2022-10-03-15-01_843479176865_3

It shouldn't but from what I've read dropping AA or AAA type batteries can ruin them.

I'm not sure about AA or AAA batteries in kids toys. They're cheap enough not to cause too much of a worry. But the motorcycle style, lead acid battery in my generators shake so bad when the unit is running, it's hard to read the writing on the labels.

That can't be doing them any good, to say the least. But thus far they've held up. I would imagine they get no smoother of a lifestyle in a dirt bike, watercraft, or ATV.

The electrodes in a jelly roll cylindrical battery are in there tight. I wouldn’t be particularly concerned about vibration. If the electrode is undersized and not in there right maybe. I can also see how a hard drop could damage a tab weld, but generally those are pretty strong.

I'm not sure about AA or AAA batteries in kids toys. They're cheap enough not to cause too much of a worry. But the motorcycle style, lead acid battery in my generators shake so bad when the unit is running, it's hard to read the writing on the labels.

That can't be doing them any good, to say the least. But thus far they've held up. I would imagine they get no smoother of a lifestyle in a dirt bike, watercraft, or ATV.

Don't some replace them with sealed lead acid? The first time I remember seeing a sealed lead acid battery was with this tiny thing for a Sony cordless phone. It was rectangular, but roughly the size of 3 AA batteries. It might have also been 4V.

Don't some replace them with sealed lead acid? The first time I remember seeing a sealed lead acid battery was with this tiny thing for a Sony cordless phone. It was rectangular, but roughly the size of 3 AA batteries. It might have also been 4V.

That was probably a ni-mh or ni-cad depending on the age of the cordless phone. Tiny sealed lead acid batteries really aren't that common.

That was probably a ni-mh or ni-cad depending on the age of the cordless phone. Tiny sealed lead acid batteries really aren't that common.

It was definitely sealed lead-acid. I don't know why, but it was. This was maybe early 90s. Found a photo of one.

s-l1600.jpg

It was definitely sealed lead-acid. I don't know why, but it was. This was maybe early 90s. Found a photo of one.

I found a replacement for it that says it's a 3.6V NiMH battery. Wonder if the charger in the phone was compatible with both types?

CPH-429.jpg

I found a replacement for it that says it's a 3.6V NiMH battery. Wonder if the charger in the phone was compatible with both types?

CPH-429.jpg

I don't think it was designed for anything other than lead acid batteries. Not sure how they were charged though. I know that lead acid batteries can be constantly charging without damage. It could have been like a low fixed current being applied while it was in the cradle. NiMH batteries could tolerate that somewhat, although without a termination they might have reduced life.

I remember it because I had one of those phones (it was a gift) and when I first inserted the battery I saw the label that said it was a "SEALED LEAD BATTERY". I didn't even think it was possible to make a lead acid battery that small.

Back