Any recommendations for a headlight?

I checked for any old topics, and they're way old - before there was a large selection of LED headlamps. I remember having a Cateye halogen lamp that used AAs and was really bright, but a pain to deal with removing and replacing the batteries.

The last time I worried about using my bike at night I got a few Cateye headlights, but they're kind of outdated by now. I still have one that uses 2 AAs but I'm thinking it's not terribly bright. I just found the Cateye VOLT100 (HL-EL150RC) that I bought years ago and hadn't seen in about 5 years. I charged it up (was worried that maybe the battery went into deep discharge) and it seems to be fine. It wouldn't light up immediately, but the power button did flash red indicating a low charge where it wouldn't turn the light on, but not where it was deeply depleted. I didn't even use it all that much. My main worry about it when I got it was that it had a captive battery and the micro-USB charging port (I've had way too many get too loose). I did like that it used the standard FlexTight mounting system that is the same as other Cateye mounts where I can swap in different lights.

Right now I see Amazon has the Cateye VOLT200XC for $10.95. But it has a rubber band style mounting strap that I'm not too keen on. But the price is pretty good.

volt200xc_right_eng.png

Got this LuminTop B01 recently when it was on sale for $20. It's pretty well made. It has an anti-glare reflector so that you're not blinding oncoming traffic, if you ride on streets. It takes both 18650 as well as 21700 cells, if you need longer runtime.

While the above is a dedicated bike light, I stil like my old Convoy S2+ with XP-L HI emitter. It puts out close to 1,000 lumen and has a good mix of flood/throw pattern. No anti-glare though.

Last edited:
Cygolite Ranger 1400. As bright as a car's headlight, wide and even beam, good for road and trail. About $100, I think. On the road you should aimbit down so the cut-off is maybe 50 feet ahead of you on the road. On the trail you aim it level and you will light up branches that you might otherwise eat.

For only road driving there is at least one light available with a proper cut-off just like an automotive headlight, the Ravemen PR 1600.

Last edited:
We (Me, my son, my friends) ride in the woods at night quite a bit in the winter since the days are so short. Our go to light is the Magicshine MJ900. LOTS of light.
I have a set of Exposure lights I paid a ton of money for. They’re cool because the batteries are all internal and rechargeable. The magic shines have just about the same amount of light for a quarter of the cost.

I have one of these, been really happy with it: https://lightandmotion.com/products...7VXKprhhr0JdD1qw2EwP_gObNsKAsI_hoCWIUQAvD_BwE

I've gotten 70-80 minute on high on a single charge, but "hi" is really not needed--you'll just get flashed constantly by drivers. The single lithium battery can be replaced. It's USB micro, which I don't love, but I have one that's 3 years old and used constantly, no issues so far. Build quality on the L&M stuff is excellent.

I just like 18650 lights so my latest is an XHP50.2, sst-40 is also pretty bright but I think the XHP50.2 is a bit brighter. There's also the XHP70.2 but you don't really find those in an 18650.

Ah yes, that's a classic C8 body style. Makes for a good thrower, but I'd prefer something with a bit more spill for biking. I guess you could throw some diffuser filter on the lens to help with that.

Also, be wary of some of these off-brand 18650 cells. I'd stick to Samsung/Sanyo/LG/Sony.

Ah yes, that's a classic C8 body style. Makes for a good thrower, but I'd prefer something with a bit more spill for biking. I guess you could throw some diffuser filter on the lens to help with that.

Also, be wary of some of these off-brand 18650 cells. I'd stick to Samsung/Sanyo/LG/Sony.
You could go with an Orange Peel reflector. I only do name brand stuff that's about 3400mah. Anything higher is probably fake. I have a charger that will tell you how many mah it took to recharge and also has the discharge/recharge mode so when I got a batch, they all pretty much tested at 3400-3600 mah.

I have tried several lights, the Nite Riders are excellent...and I think it’s because of the width of the beam...it’s wide and pretty bright.

Ive also tried some of the cheaper, $25 bucks, lights on Amazon. I’ve had success with most of them (read the reviews). These lights have all come a long way - I have a Victagen 2000 lumens bike light that I bought on sale for $25 on Amazon...it’s a great light for the money. Actually brighter than the Nite Rider, and the battery will last longer on a charge, but the beam isn’t as wide, and therefore on the trail it’s not as helpful. But it’s VERY GOOD FOR $25 BUCKS, compared to a Nite Rider that I payed $120 bucks for.

Back