What type of power steering fluid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: beast3300

I would let those guys use the Shell dex3 and flush it. Then I would do it myself with the M1 Dex3. When you get it all set with M1 it will be set for a long long time.

Thanks. Any idea where to get M1 (I haven't bothered looking anywhere yet)?

As of now I'm thinking of getting some M1 for them to use in the flush (they said I can bring in my own and they'd use it if I didn't want the Shell stuff). And getting the PS Flush from LubeGard for the drive over to the shop, and putting in some LubeGard PS addative after they finish the flush.

AZ or AAP sells M1 ATF. Locally, AZ has the better price.

Originally Posted By: tig1
AZ or AAP sells M1 ATF. Locally, AZ has the better price.

What is AAP?

I'll try Auto Zone for the M1 Dex III equivilent and have them use that to change it.

A question about LubeGard PS protectant: on the bottle it says to NOT use in ATF power steering systems. On the FAQ on their web site it says it is fine to use it with ATF. I might try calling them tomorrow to find out the real story...

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Advanced Auto Parts.

Gotcha. I was there, Oreillys, and CarQuest today and none had M1 ATF. I'll try AZ and if need be Napa tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts on using Lubegard ps treatment in ps systems that use ATF? Bottle says no, LG web site says yes.

I changed out the PSF at 90,000 miles about a year and a half ago in a 2003 Acura MDX because it was absolutely black and somehow I had discovered the Honda p/s fluid was totally clear when new. What I did was use a turkey baster and had to do it about 10x's to actually get the fluid to be fairly translucent. I did it 5x's one day and then waited about a week and did 5 more. Discovered subsequently that a battery tester suction tool was even better because the thinner suction tube would get all the way to the bottom of the reservoir whereas the bigger turkey baster tube would not. I used Amsoil PSF in my Acura given the specification for Honda PSF, but for your application, I would definitely use Redline D4 auto trans fluid, which provides a GL4 level of gear protection. That is what I used in a Lexus p/s unit for 10 years after the power steering pump had failed on the original Dexron fluid. At the end of the 10 years and over 140,000 miles on it, the D4 fluid still looked really good. I think the D4 would offer the best overall protection, especially at low temperatures if you compare the specs between it and the Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF. At very low temperatures, the Redline is about a 52 and the Amsoil is a 98, which really is a surprising difference given the closeness of their viscosities at 40 and 100 degrees Celsius.

Valvoline/Ashland lies about the properties of MaxLife ATF. For a full explanation of Ashland's cynical attempt to misrepresent the Dexron VI spec and market a non-compliant fluid as Dexron VI see:

www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2007/062507_ATF.pdf

which is a presentation by Ashland describing their ATF product development and marketing strategy. It confirms that MaxLife cannot possibly meet the Dexron VI specs (much less receive GM certification) but that Ashland intends to market it as the ATF of the future anyway.

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX
Valvoline/Ashland lies about the properties of MaxLife ATF. For a full explanation of Ashland's cynical attempt to misrepresent the Dexron VI spec and market a non-compliant fluid as Dexron VI see:

www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2007/062507_ATF.pdf

which is a presentation by Ashland describing their ATF product development and marketing strategy. It confirms that MaxLife cannot possibly meet the Dexron VI specs (much less receive GM certification) but that Ashland intends to market it as the ATF of the future anyway.

My understanding based on this pdf is that they cannot meet both Mercon V and Dexron VI due to visc differences. Also didn't they thinned out Maxlife recently. Maybe they cannot meet the spec but they can get "close enough".

If you call this lying, I'd probably put in other MV fluid as well, like Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil, etc.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Gotcha. I was there, Oreillys, and CarQuest today and none had M1 ATF. I'll try AZ and if need be Napa tomorrow.

If you're in Lexington, KY, then look in a Meijer store. They started carrying M1 ATF nearly a year ago. It was a good deal at 5.99 a quart, but a couple of months ago they raised it to 7.29 a quart. Still not bad, most stores seem to want 7.99 for it.

The most recent technical data sheet for Valvoline MaxLife ATF that I could find on the internet is

www.audagena.lt/docs/max%20life%20atf.pdf

dated August 10 2008. The data sheet states that MaxLife has a cST of 7.3 at 100C, which is far above the maximum viscosity of 6.4 allowed in the Dexron VI spec. Nevertheless. the same tech sheet baldly states:

Recommended by Valvoline for use in:

GM Dexron VI

applications.

The current MaxLife ATF product exactly matches what Ashland said they planned to do in the strategic marketing analysis talk that I posted. If you search the web, you will find there are other manufacturers specs (e.g. from Volvo and MB) that Ashland falsely claims to meet.

I can sympathize with Volvo and MB owners who want to use MaxLife because fluids certified for the vehicles are more expensive. But you can buy certified Dexron VI at Walmart for $3.77 a quart.

Ironically, Valvoline makes a different product (Valvoline Dexron VI) that is certified by GM; it has a cSt of 6.0 at 100C. See

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Valvoline_DEXRON_VI_ATF.pdf

Why Ashland insists on lying about MaxLife when the company also sells a certified Dexron VI product, I find hard to understand.

MaxLife ATF is indeed a miracle fluid
04.gif

but that's just my opinion. i don't see why you couldn't try a power steering fluid. MaxLife PS is clear

I don't think PS fluid is as picky as ATF, there is no friction property to deal with.

If the viscosity and detergency level is right, most should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back