Transmission fluid for 2007 Mercedes S550. Valvoline Maxlife and Dexron VI?

$250 vs. $40 for a drain and refill. And I might do it twice if the fluid looks dirty. If a much cheaper fluid works fine, why not.
because if the tranny goes with the other fluid...that will cost a whole lot more...Remember the old FRAM commercial....you can pay me now...or pay me later...

Here you go.

902A24F1-B3AE-4180-9094-259E1EC0F75C.jpg

because if the tranny goes with the other fluid...that will cost a whole lot more...Remember the old FRAM commercial....you can pay me now...or pay me later...
If the tranny goes with Dexron VI, it was going to go soon anyway. Probably no sooner than if I use Maxlife. Those two don't appear so radically different. It may shift a little firmer or feel a little different, but don't see it causing a failure, at least short term.

The way things are these days, I wonder if Atikovi would make a lot more money with a youtube channel talking about and showing his used car adventures than in the actual flipping of the vehicles.

What sort of problems? And what about Castrol Transmax?
Castrol Transmax is not on the Mercedes approved list. I see where Castrol claims, on the PDS, that Transmax is "Suitable for use where: . . . 7 and 9 speed automatics from Mercedes Benz and all vehicles where DexronIII or Mercon SP is required." Where your application calls for MB 236.14, Transmax is not the right fluid.

236.14 approved fluids aren't that hard to get. Here are a few sources.

Does it cost more that Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol Transmax? Yes, by some. But that is the price of owning a Mercedes, or any other European car. There are ways to save money on owning and driving a Mercedes. But you have to recognize the limits. Pay now or pay later. Your call.

Bad shifting, rough shifting. Quite a bit of it reported on Benzworld and MBworld. Also people telling you that you can use it.

There were some problems early on, before MB went to the larger capacity transmission pan. But by far, most problems with the 722.9 transmission are associated from improper, or lack of, maintenance. Rarely do you hear of problems with the 722.9 if the ATF is changed on schedule, and the correct ATF is used. The problems arise when people try to use the wrong fluid, or ignore the maintenance schedule.

If the tranny goes with Dexron VI, it was going to go soon anyway. Probably no sooner than if I use Maxlife. Those two don't appear so radically different. It may shift a little firmer or feel a little different, but don't see it causing a failure, at least short term.
And you don’t care about long term? What about the poor soul onto whom you foist this car?

The car was foisted on ME. I'm trying to make it better.
Better has to include long term durability- doesn’t it? Using the right fluid so that the tranny lasts as long as it can would be making it better. Using the wrong fluid and setting up the next owner for an expensive failure isn’t making it better.

Better has to include long term durability- doesn’t it? Using the right fluid so that the tranny lasts as long as it can would be making it better. Using the wrong fluid and setting up the next owner for an expensive failure isn’t making it better.
Castrol Transmax and Valvoline Maxlife say they meet the Mercedes requirements and most people here seem to love it so that would be good enough for me. I'm not expected to give a 100,000 mile guaranty.

From what I'm reading on the Mercedes forums, Castrol and Valvoline aren't on Mercedes approved list because they didn't pay the fee. And "if a transmission fails because of a Valvoline fluid that was spec'd for the vehicle, Valvoline covers the repairs."

Back