2011 Toureg TDI 8 speed aisin trans fluid

Hi all

I just got this vehicle with 137k and no service history so took to a trans shop. They serviced the trans, said it was pretty clean etc and used Valvoline Dexron VI to refill. I'll likely be doing 3.5T towing soon.

I found the datasheet for Valvoline Dexron VI and it doesn't state meets any other specs. Datasheet attached.

From what I can tell the trans needs:
G 055 540 A2, which may be the same as (from research on forums) JWS 3324, which may be the same as ATF0WS.

So, I have found a few fluids that meet G 055 540 A2, some without the A2, does that matter or is there no non A2?

Datasheets for Castrol and Shell products attached.

Maxlife meets G 055 540 A2 but # against Dexron VI and WS, implying these are lower viscosity fluids than Maxlife.

Interestingly two different datasheets I found for Maxlife also attached do not say G 055 540 A2, and some state JWS3324 as # I.e. not recommended.
So what to believe?

Some of those meet other JWS specs (3309 not 3324, implying 3324 is a higher spec), and none seem to state ATF0WS. I note many state Toyota WS, which may be the same but generally lacks thr associated 4 digit code. Can anyone clarify all this?
I wonder if the person stating G 055 540 A2 is JWS3324 is wrong and instead JWS3309 is equivalent?

The multi vehicle fluids that do appear to meet G 055 540 A2 also appear to meet Dexron VI. That gives me some confidence, but not total.

So aside from the questions above about what oil numbers are actually the same, should I demand they drain and refil with a G 055 540 A2 fluid?

Annoying when you decide not to DIY and this happens. Guy at shop says they use that in the aisin 6 and 8 speeds and no issues known.
I am not saying he is wrong, but seems like any risk is on me unless they swap the fluid or agree any issues in next 30k or so are on them (which I bet they won't agree to).

I'm after well informed views here please, that's why I came here. Not just "go use factory fluid" stuff.

Is the Valvoline Dexron VI almost certainly fine for this trans, or not?

And hopefully tech gurus can clarify why some of the brands say G 055 540 A vs A2, and how JWS3324 compares to it etc.

I do note the viscosity of Valvoline Dexron VI looks fine.
But there must be more to oil makeup than just viscosity stuff that is on the datasheets...

Thanks!

Screenshot_20240222-145842_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20240222-145824_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20240222-144954_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20240222-145017_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20240222-144919_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20240222-144936_Dropbox.jpg

I agree with your sentiment as I don't really like the "one size fits all' fluids that are available. OE or something specifically designed to replace OE. That being said, there are folks on here that can expertly answer your question. Probably OK in my opinion.

How many different types of Aisin FWD 8 speed units suitable for bolting to 2.0 diesel engines are there likely to be?

I believe it was a TG-81SC and the V40 I had before it had a 6 speed TF-71SC which also ran just fun on Maxlife.

While I take wiki with a pinch of salt, it also suggests it's a very similar gearbox...

Last edited:
According to a euro parts distributor's website I use with confidence, G 055 540 A2 crosses with JWS3309, so same fluid offered (ie; Fuchs) will meet both approvals. Funny how it mentions for Dex III mineral based filled fluid but no mention of any other Dexron specs.

Did they use Valvoline Dex VI or Maxlife Multi? From what I've read and compared for my Aisin 8spd both fluids are interchangable with Dex VI spec being the "universal" Dexron low visc. rated fluid without calling out approvals other than Dex VI. I'd feel just fine using it, however everyone's OCDMMV. If it really bugs you, change it out for a G 055 540 A2 approved fluid. Just note, that fluid approval is over 15 years old.

How many different types of Aisin FWD 8 speed units suitable for bolting to 2.0 diesel engines are there likely to be?

I believe it was a TG-81SC and the V40 I had before it had a 6 speed TF-71SC which also ran just fun on Maxlife.

While I take wiki with a pinch of salt, it also suggests it's a very similar gearbox...

Is this what your Volvo had?

Initial viscosity values are a bit misleading, it also depends on the viscosity retention of the particular fluid.

Having said that I have been using MaxLife in my 2020 Tiguan and it has been fine so far. Two fluid exchanges and no weirdness or anything to report. The factory fluid was a bit dark on the first change and I haven't seen the same darkening with MaxLife. You can use a licensed DEXRON-VI fluid in this transmission if you really wish to do so.

You can do a mini-flush of the fluid while you're doing the drain and fill, just overfill a bit with the engine running and then let it drain out (with the standpipe in place). Then turn the engine off and drop the standpipe to allow more fluid to drain. You'll see the fluid turn clearer at some point and this gets out more of the old fluid than just a simple drain and fill. Do you have an OBDII reader for the fluid temperature?

According to a euro parts distributor's website I use with confidence, G 055 540 A2 crosses with JWS3309, so same fluid offered (ie; Fuchs) will meet both approvals. Funny how it mentions for Dex III mineral based filled fluid but no mention of any other Dexron specs.

Did they use Valvoline Dex VI or Maxlife Multi? From what I've read and compared for my Aisin 8spd both fluids are interchangable with Dex VI spec being the "universal" Dexron low visc. rated fluid without calling out approvals other than Dex VI. I'd feel just fine using it, however everyone's OCDMMV. If it really bugs you, change it out for a G 055 540 A2 approved fluid. Just note, that fluid approval is over 15 years old.
They used Valvoline Dex VI, not Maxlife.

Yep, that's why I asked here because just cause manufacturers approval can mean give age of approval can actually a vastly inferior fluid! Some say the WS etc isn't even synth while DX6 obviously is.

Sounds like you think it's good then as DX6

Initial viscosity values are a bit misleading, it also depends on the viscosity retention of the particular fluid.

Having said that I have been using MaxLife in my 2020 Tiguan and it has been fine so far. Two fluid exchanges and no weirdness or anything to report. The factory fluid was a bit dark on the first change and I haven't seen the same darkening with MaxLife. You can use a licensed DEXRON-VI fluid in this transmission if you really wish to do so.

You can do a mini-flush of the fluid while you're doing the drain and fill, just overfill a bit with the engine running and then let it drain out (with the standpipe in place). Then turn the engine off and drop the standpipe to allow more fluid to drain. You'll see the fluid turn clearer at some point and this gets out more of the old fluid than just a simple drain and fill. Do you have an OBDII reader for the fluid temperature?
Thanks, sounds like you think the Valv DX6 is all good then.
Honestly this is why I do almost all work myself, I've had so many experiences of bad workmanship when paying for it. Vowed on this one I wouldn't. Time is more the issue these days...
I have obd2 reader but need to buy the VCDS app

Dev VI is fine. I have run Maxlife, T-WS, Idemitsu TLS-LV, and Castrol something or other in mine.
Thanks. How often do you change it? Shop said 30km which sounds a bit OTT unless I'm doing lots of towing. But I spose as they didn't do a full flush only half or a bit more of fluid was replaced...

Thanks. How often do you change it? Shop said 30km which sounds a bit OTT unless I'm doing lots of towing. But I spose as they didn't do a full flush only half or a bit more of fluid was replaced...
I have been doing 15k miles drain and fill, 30k filter and fluid.

FYI the correct fluid for the 8 speed Touareg is the Idemitsu TLS, not the TLS-LV. They don’t help as both bottles look the same except that -LV.
No.

TLS is equivalent to T-IV, which you would use for the 6 speed Aisin.

TLS-LV is equivalent to T-WS, which you would use in the 8 speed Aisin.

Back