Aisin 0WS fluid lower viscosity in North America compared to AISIN AFW+ overseas

Hello all! I am here to discuss my findings on WS fluid by Aisin. WS fluid is the fluid for tons of Toyota vehicles since the tranny calls for WS. WS is a fluid that is spec'd for these vehicles by AISIN who is the tranny manufacturer. Now tons of brands make WS fluid, the most common is Toyota WS that probably everyone has in there vehicle but we also have AISIN who is the tranny maker who has there own WS fluid + other aftermarket brands.

Since AISIN makes the tranny I am in the mindset that maybe there fluid is the 'best'

I did some research and it seems like AISIN WS fluid available in North america has the following specs: I also attached the sheet
AISIN ATF-0WS
KV40 - 27.93
KV100 - 5.8

There was a MSDS/SDS of this same fluid in 2012 showing kv100 around 7.332 ish and kv100 of 34.88, I am not sure if the product has been reformulated since then and or if that was a false sds sheet or something but I attached that as well. Now it seems like the fluid has the specs above of 5.8 and 27.93. Maybe it was CAFE or maybe the values on sds are false but idrk.

The other WS fluids that are 1 for all WS fluids have similar kv40 in the 25ish range and kv100 of the 5 ish range.

The all in one atf's like maxlife and castrol have kv40 between 6-7 ish and kv100 of around 28-34 ish

I did some further research and it seems like overseas they do not have this ATF-OWS fluid unless I am mistaken, AISIN has diff fluids and the one that is spec'd for WS is a multivehicle fluid over there. Thet fluid is called AISIN AFW+, the sheet is attached below but the specs are as follows:
KV40 - 36.69
KV100 - 7.41

Furthermore it seems like AISIN does not supply the AFW+ fluid here in North america which may indeed be due to CAFE and may also be the reason that after 2012 they reformulated that original AISIN ws down from the 2012 kv100 of 7.332

Now the odd thing is this, I found a statement on a north america aisin fluid brochure that stated this "With these complexities,we at AISIN do not believe a “Universal–One Size Fits All” is the right approach when choosing your ATF or CVT Fluid, and neither should you." - i attached the statement below

This is a odd statement cuz unless I am mistaken the fluids overseas made/labelled by AISIN are all the "Universal–One Size Fits All" as for example the AFW+ covers many vehicles/specs etc

Now I believe the trannys are actually manufactured/were first made overseas so maybe we can trust there word more. However do you believe this is a 'CAFE' issue or do you believe there is something else around the same manufacturer recommending two diff fluids with different viscosities while still being for the same fluid, in this example 'WS'

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but it seems odd that IN NA where we have cafe and our fluid is spec'd thinner whereaas overseas where there are no environmental pressures like CAFE specing a thicker fluid. It seems clear to me that for protection it is better to go with the thicker fluid and seems like maybe real WS fluid should actually have a kv40 of 30s and a kv100 of 7s etc

Which brings me to my next topic, if this is deemed true then it makes total sense to me why Maxlife and Castrol all in one fluid has worked great in tons of vehicle, the kv40 and kv100 of those fluids are more similar to the thicker ws made by aisin overseas which is probably how come those fluids seem to work well

Unless I made a mistake it seems clear to me to be running a thicker ws fluid for my Toyota/AISIN tranny fluid change in which the thickest I can rn find would be the multivehicle Maxlife or Castrol and I don't see why this would be a problem since overseas WS fluid by AISIN is also a multivehicle fluid unlike the thinner one fluid WS from AISIN we can get from NA

Looking for feedback!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.44.39 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.44.39 PM.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.44.52 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.44.52 PM.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.46.39 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.46.39 PM.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.57.09 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 3.57.09 PM.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 50
There are a decent amount of discussions about this topic.

Now I believe the trannys are actually manufactured/were first made overseas so maybe we can trust there word more. However do you believe this is a 'CAFE' issue or do you believe there is something else around the same manufacturer recommending two diff fluids with different viscosities while still being for the same fluid, in this example 'WS'
The differential fluid question is non sequitur to the issue of automatic transmission fluid viscosities.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but it seems odd that IN NA where we have cafe and our fluid is spec'd thinner whereaas overseas where there are no environmental pressures like CAFE specing a thicker fluid. It seems clear to me that for protection it is better to go with the thicker fluid and seems like maybe real WS fluid should actually have a kv40 of 30s and a kv100 of 7s etc
I would suggest you take a look at the HPL ATF offerings

and click on the Product Data Sheet link.

I would say the ATF Green would be more to your liking.

The CAFE question vs viscosities has been debated and discussed before with the links given in Post #2 so I trust we will not entertain that issue any further.

Last edited:
Back