is there a basis in not trusting 'all in one' atf fluids?

Definitely don’t use universal ATF in place of CVT fluid

Too late. I already did. The jug said it was OK, and so far nothing bad has happened.

If the jug lists that it's compatible, is it really an issue?

If it causes a failure I'll just sue Valvoline. Maybe even turn it into a class action. I'm guessing it won't come to that, but at least I have a backup plan. ;)

Too late. I already did. The jug said it was OK, and so far nothing bad has happened.

If the jug lists that it's compatible, is it really an issue?

If it causes a failure I'll just sue Valvoline. Maybe even turn it into a class action. I'm guessing it won't come to that, but at least I have a backup plan. ;)
I need to edit my post.

I just put some maxlife in my 6L90. I just can't fathom the idea that Valvoline would list Dex VI compatibility and somehow there would be a problem.

Depends on the specific transmission design, usage & operating conditions, and possibly how lucky you are. Some units are more tolerant of different fluid, some less. And sure, lots of owners have zero issues with the universal fluid -- this doesn't mean you'll have the same experience. I tried Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle fluid in my Aisin 4-speed automatic and I definitely did not like the way it shifted... went back to the OEM Toyota T-IV (JWS 3309) and it works perfectly. Just a few dollars more for a service done every 30,000 miles, didn't think twice about it. There are many ways to save a few bucks and I just don't think this is a good place to do it.

I've done quite a few ATF changes with Maxlife or Castrol in Honda, GM, and Toyotas and probably other brands that I'm forgetting and I have also done quite a few with OEM fluids including Ford and Hyundai/Kia just based on what fluid was convenient to obtain at the time. I can't say that there is no difference in quality, but I can say I've never experienced any issues from either choice. Aside from someone using fluids that are not listed as being compatible, underfilling or overfilling, leaks that aren't dealt with, or waiting until an issue has arisen with the transmission before changing fluid, I don't think it matters all that much.

I won't use any multi vehicle fluid that is formulated for cvt applications.

I might try the import multi from Castrol, Mercon v approval is close enough to atf4/dex3 for what I'm doing.

This is just what I think, so take it with a grain of salt. Manufacturers are setting specs based on their own R&D test result so they can minimize warranty claim that could hit them by the millions, and they are sometimes made so that they can compensate for some corner case spec in harsh climate, borderline fuel quality, etc that most aftermarket are not dealing with. I do think aftermarket would be good enough but it may make you not liking the shift feel as much, and manufacturer has to design their ATF or other fluid to be "good" so you want to buy the new car off the lot.

Universal ATF may shift safely, but may not shift comfortably, that is not a problem for aftermarket but could lose a sales in the new car. That's how I see it when I use aftermarket ATF on my Honda / Acura. It shift without failure but it is not as smooth as Honda's.

I will stick with the manufacturer recommended ATF if at all possible.

I think with the different TCC friction materials and the way the TCC is applied (PWM and all its variants vs. on-off) ATF is more important now than in the early 80's.

Perhaps clutch frictions haven't changed as much (CVT not withstanding) as the TCC frictions have.

I have always used AFT+4 in my Chrysler transmissions in our Jeeps and have used both Mopar & Valvoline versions of ATF+4. The last time I bought it I found that the dealer Mopar ATF+4 was actually cheaper than the Valvoline ATF+4 at Advance Auto.

Back