is there a basis in not trusting 'all in one' atf fluids?

hey all! i've been on the look out for a more stouty toyota ws fluid replacement and it seems like the only options are the 'all in one' fluids which cover like 2-3 specs in one. Originally I thought it could be fine / should be fine because when we compare the kv40 and kv100 for the all in one fluid, it is pretty close to the toyota ws original fluid kv40 and kv100 in my opinion. I could be wrong but I feel like if the viscosity is similar and both are atf fluid's I just can't see why a all in one fluid could be dangerous or not recommended?

The reason I bring this up is that I read about tons of people on forums saying "i wouldnt trust a fluid that is a all in one" or "only use oem fluid"

is there actually basis in that argument? or is it just people putting there 'feelings' over the facts?

Curious to discuss and learn more about this!

I use Chrysler as an example when I discuss universal fluids in classes. Chrysler currently has 8 different automatic transmission fluids and 4 coolants. If there was one fluid that worked in everything, an OEM that loves to do inventory consolidation would move to that.

I won't even consider using an "all in one" fluid. Transmissions have become more complex and expensive, and I'm sticking with a licensed and recommended fluid for the Camry. This excerpt from a video about transmissions that saw some time ago, sealed the deal for me. My transmission guy refuses to install anything other than the Toyota recommended fluid.

Last edited:
Despite his scoffing, 100s of thousands of people use multivehicle fluids with no issues.

I guess I should be hunting for some Dexron III licensed fluid for my friends 2002 tundra which has been running flawlessly for 10+ years on Maxlife.

WS in my Prius?... not, clearly a "convenience decision" by Toyota to spec their "universal fluid" over a dedicated gear lube.

I tried the Valvoline MaxLife LV fluid in my 2009 F150 that requires Mercon LV. Drained it fast and put in the Motocraft brand. It was that bad. The 6R-80 transmission is based on the superb ZF 6HP26 and absolutely requires the correct fluid.

I don't claim it did damage, as at 200K abusive miles it is still working well enough, but the MaxLife fluid was utterly incompatible.

Despite his scoffing, 100s of thousands of people use multivehicle fluids with no issues.

I guess I should be hunting for some Dexron III licensed fluid for my friends 2002 tundra which has been running flawlessly for 10+ years on Maxlife.

WS in my Prius?... not, clearly a "convenience decision" by Toyota to spec their "universal fluid" over a dedicated gear lube.
That comment suggests you know little about the Prius "CVT" unit.

hey all! i've been on the look out for a more stouty toyota ws fluid replacement and it seems like the only options are the 'all in one' fluids which cover like 2-3 specs in one. …

Getting specifically to your point, MaxLife is a good substitute for WS. It has not shown the pre-mature failure tendency in high HP and heavy vehicle applications like WS is known (or at least was known) for.

I guess I've been lucky, I have yet to buy ATF from a dealer. I just buy a fluid that is considered to be "suitable for", most recently, for a RE0F11A. I recommended that a colleague visit the dealer for a service after I noticed a whine coming from the unit, which the dealer condemned entirely, so I performed the service instead. A pan filter (strainer), cartridge element (both aftermarket), 3.5L of Klondike Full Synthetic CVT (amber) and 1L of MM CVT (red) later, the feedback I received from my colleague afterwards was all positive.

Last edited:
Getting specifically to your point, MaxLife is a good substitute for WS. It has not shown the pre-mature failure tendency in high HP and heavy vehicle applications like WS is known (or at least was known) for.
It's in our fjcruiser. Been in the 50000 miles now. Definitely shifts better than worn out ws fluid

I've had great success with Redline ATFs in multiple vehicles. Better than stock fluid that has noticeably improved shifting.

I won't even consider using an "all in one" fluid. Transmissions have become more complex and expensive, and I'm sticking with a licensed and recommended fluid for the Camry. This excerpt from a video about transmissions that saw some time ago, sealed the deal for me. My transmission guy refuses to install anything other than the Toyota recommended fluid.

"But my transmission now shifts like butter..."

For me, the plan is to cycle in some genuine fluid via a quick drain n fill...on the 75's.

Keep it simple--go for durability.

My $0.02.

I like universal ATF just because I hate going to the dealer and giving them any more of my money than absolutely necessary.

The last ATF change I did for my 2018 Honda CRV I used Maxlife universal. It seems to work just fine, although I do worry a little bit because at the time the jug said that it was compatible with Honda HCF-2, and then shortly after it seems that they may have quietly removed that designation from the label.

Valvoline also makes a universal that's specifically designed just for CVTs, and that one does list HCF-2 on the back, so I'll probably try that next time.

I would imagine that if the universal fluids really weren't any good we'd be hearing about all kinds of failures and lawsuits because of it.

So, has anyone here heard of any failures and/or lawsuits that were caused by a universal ATF?

Last edited:
Back