What tools do you carry in your vehicle?

vice grips. screwdrivers. wd40. gloves. reflective vest. flashlights. bench axe. pry bar. mora knife. folding saw. blanket. glow sticks. jumper cables. sillcock key. first aid kit. canteen. backpack to fit it all in.

secured firearm with extra ammo.

The real question is what shouldnt you have in the toolbox. Last time long journey kit I made, I was wondering what tools are essential and what tools are unnecessary. Easy to say you dont need a floor jack, but what socket sizes are critical and what socket sizes are useless?

VOM
wires with alligator clips
½" metric socket set
¼" socket set
Leatherman multitool
Screwdrivers
Fuses
Open-end wrench set
OE Jack
Tire plug kit (never used yet)
Ruler
Tire pressure gauge
Pliers

Plus tools mainly used on bicycles (cable cutter, hex-key wrenches, cone wrenches, tire tool ... )

pretty much i have it all ready; plus the flashlight, first aid kit, knife, extra shirt and shorts, towel, etc

IMG_3884.jpeg

Yesterday I went to Capitola to visit my niece and grand nieces. Wendy was at the gym; she called and her 2015 Odyssey was dead. It sounded like the battery, and I know Honda had replaced one (or two) under warranty. The battery would not take a jump; I think it had a short? Her jumper cables did not even get warm.
I ended up using a cheapo socket set that her brother had. Broken down ratchet and junk 10mm socket.

Pretty lame, because I have a fairly extensive set of tools, doubles and triples, at more than one location.

So, going forward, I will carry a jump box, VOM, 1/4" Harbor Freight socket set that I happen to have laying around, channel lock pliers, std and phillips screwdrivers, gloves and rag. I can put together a 3/8" socket set as well. This will sit under the jump seats in the Tundra. Maybe one of those battery straps to remove heavy batteries in tough locations?

Your thoughts?

By the way, will a jump box start a car with a shorted battery or is it dead?
It depends would be the answer ... size of engine, ability of battery to hold charge momentarily, etc. Very possibly yes.

The cx5 has some room around the spare tire/cover where I have my jumper cables, NOCO jump box, Ryobi hand air compressor with a battery, tire plug kit, reflective vest, Slime tire picture sealer, survival blanket/sleeping bag, and tow strap. I used to bring along my 200-piece husky kit with me on roadtrips in the focus as the mileage got higher but the cx5 I figured, I'll just call roadside. I'm thinking of buying a smaller socket set to leave in the car though; something like a 20 piece for emergencies. Also used to carry chains in the winter "just in case" I run into a situation where snow tires couldn't cut it.

The NOCO box does jump dead 12v batteries (tested on my mom's '17 fusion hybrid). Unfortunately with how often that car starts/stops I was unwilling to bring the car to AZ to test if the battery was truly dead - I don't believe the '17 fusion hybrid uses the hybrid battery for the start/stop system.

Just a lithium jump pack and the included jack. Probably should carry more but we are rarely far from home and I can't stand clutter.

Combination pliers, similar to Kleins but with a rounded center because it can work as a sort if wrench... flathead, phillips, torx bit set with driver... and if you can consider the following as tools.. flashlight, electronic flares, window breaker, and I think I have angle cutters from when I replaced my burnt out headlight..

I think there's a set of jumper cables, and a pair of channel lock pliers. There really isn't much your gonna fix beside something that loosens up, like a battery terminal. All the tools in your garage isn't going to do anything for you, if you need a part and your in the middle of nowhere.,,

I think there's a set of jumper cables, and a pair of channel lock pliers. There really isn't much your gonna fix beside something that loosens up, like a battery terminal. All the tools in your garage isn't going to do anything for you, if you need a part and your in the middle of nowhere.,,
I got lucky; I was able to loosen the 10mm nuts on the battery J hooks with my fingers. A pliers, crescent, whatever would have been better.

Multi-tool, bike pump, blanket, wife carries a little battery booster box and it seemed to have no trouble starting a newer Odyssey last summer. I carry some brake fluid and coolant in the Focus to make sure my creative thermostat replacement repair never leaks!

Easy to say you dont need a floor jack, but what socket sizes are critical and what socket sizes are useless?
In a little car like my Fiero, there isn't a lot of space for unneeded tools, so I just bring the essentials. A ratchet and 10mm, 13mm, 15mm and 19mm sockets plus 5.5mm and 7mm nutdrivers will do almost everything on it. Maybe a T55 socket if I decide I need to replace a brake caliper or wheel bearing beside the road somewhere. A 15mm wobble socket is needed if the distributor needs to come out for some reason. Other sizes like 11mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm etc aren't too useful so I don't bring them.

Cheap HF 51 piece socket set
1 meduim size vice grips
jumper cables
multitool
tire plug kit
couple of bungee straps
1 small ratcheting strap/tie down
cheap rain poncho
safety vest
safety glasses
couple packs of snacks
couple pouches of emergency water
old cell phone
tow strap
D-ring
duct tape
electrical tape
some wire
flash light
emergency flasher
tire pressure gauge
pen and paper
emergency cash
paper maps (yes, I'm that old)
silicon tape
coolant hose splice kit with some hose clamps
blanket
towel
storage bin and cargo net
fire extinguisher
emergency (collapsible) 1 gal. gas can
some plastic bags
multi point screw driver
paper towels
can of fix a flat
the OEM jack/tool kit/spare tire
gum
first aid kit
sun and reading glasses (getting old sucks)
a back scratcher (don't laugh...sometime you just get that itch...)
power cord/charger for the phone
small umbrella
bottles of water
wet wipes
and a loud noise maker for personal defense
and maybe an adjustable wrench...don't remember
large empty plastic bottle...emergency pee bottle (hey, I have a kid)...

Forgot...

travel pillow
3 jackets...me, wife and kid
the tire pressure gauge...has seat belt cutter and window breaker

Back