What to use to clean up this sludged up '09 Caddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: flacoman
EEK! Shame that it got that trashed... With that mileage it darn near never stopped rolling

Well as a 2009, it is possible that it was already on the road in August of 2008...up to now... so that is actually a year and a half of time.

95,000 miles/18 months=5300 miles a month.

5300 miles a month/21 working days in a month = 250 miles a day.

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
Atikovi:

are you the guy in cadillac forums that just but a 100k miles 09 CTS from an auction or something similar and there was a note that there could be a mechanical problem with the engine/transmission from the auction?

Yes. I do think I got lucky in that I don't have to replace the engine, just clean it up and replace the timing chains and related parts. About $800 in parts vs $2-3,000 for a used engine and a lot more work.

I agree with the one of the other posters...I would take that engine completely out, disassemble it, "mechanically" clean it, reassemble it with new seals and gaskets, and then I would consider the oil/solvent based cleaners. You already have it torn down that far...

I would hazard a guess that a chemical cleaner in the oil might cause more harm than good at this point (plugged passages or filter potentially?).

Last edited:
Clean off as much as you can now.

I know from experience letting non-engine parts soak that 100% BioD is excellent at removing everything from tar to carbon.

However I wouldn't want it to run in an engine because it can congeal in the crankcase. I think your best best is a engine flush and MMO after that fact with many oil changes.

Seafoam would work or Amsoil.

If you clean off the heads, timing chain, oil pan then you are halfway there. The flush will get the passages just following the instructions to the letter.

Here are before and after pictures of the right head after a day of cleaning.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

If the oil drain back holes are pluged, I don't see how anything other then a tear down could clean the engine.

Nevermind, you just posted pics of the top of the engine, cleaned.

I'd just run it.

Last edited:
Those of you who said T-chain is cheaper than T-belt @ 100K might want to re-think that idea.
I'm curious as to the cost of the chain replacement.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Those of you who said T-chain is cheaper than T-belt @ 100K might want to re-think that idea.
I'm curious as to the cost of the chain replacement.

for my 05 CTS, I've been quoted 1500$ CAN at the dealer including labor since I'm starting to hear a little rattle at idle and sometimes when applying load on the engine. The dealer told me to wait for the check engine to come on before fixing this!

Last edited:
There's probably caked on crud in the oil pan and the oil pickup screen could be partially blocked. I'd pull the pan as well since you've gone this far (unless you've already done so).

This reminds me of how superficial people are.

I bet the body and interior are spotless.
Yeah, folks worried about what others think about them from the outside but inside they are hiding scum.

I'm the exact opposite. The body and interior of my 18 yr old, 300 k truck look trashed. But the engine and drivetrain components are squeaky clean, fresh filtered, new fluids and well maintained. But you'd never know it looking at it.

Car thieves pass it by, thats how it looks. Good for me.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Here are before and after pictures of the right head after a day of cleaning.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Looks like you've done an excellent job.
Call me crazy, but I think you'd be wise to change the valve stem seals while you're there.

Dang, I was hoping this could be an MMO experiment. This would have been perfect to see what MMO can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back