Sludge clean up on 60k Kia

Here is the video of the whole process. Not mine, I just came across it and found it interesting, so sharing with the maintenance geeks on this oil forum. I'm surprised the little Kia survived, at least for now...
All the clean up seemed to be done manually: carb cleaner, rags, brushes, gasoline, degreaser. Engine flush didn't make much difference obviously. I'll let the pics do the talking from here.
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png

Sheesh, what a mess. Not sure I would have done the flush method like he did as you obviously saw what it did when the sludge started breaking free.

It seems it's always Hyundai/Kia (with honorable mention to Nissan) owners that do this kind of neglect. Cheap cars with owners that don't know or can afford to maintain the vehicle. I'm betting this has exasperated the engine issues those brands have. While they do have issues with normal maintenance, I'm, betting neglect has a factor.

I always wondered how someone's logic worked that neglected a vehicle for over 100K miles. These type of people will buy expensive high-end lubricants, or additives that they don't know anything about (MMO, Lucas, etc.), and expect it to clean up and fix all their abuse in one oil change. Oh, they also expect for that "magic" oil or additive to fix their oil consimption issue.

Car maintenance is like brushing your teeth, taking a shower, going to the gym, etc. It's not that hard, and way easier to continuously maintain your vehicle, rather than attempt to "fix" the unfixable after you damaged it.

"Jiffy Lube refused, so I just gave up and kept driving."

I wonder if JL checks the dipstick ahead of time, senses trouble (little clots of sludge?), then turns customers away for liability reasons.

Is there a video link that I missed?
With recently increased policing of YouTube videos on BITOG I didn't post the video directly, to avoid the thread getting deleted in case there is a curse word in there somewhere. But the very first word in my original post is a link to that video. Just click on that word "Here" in Post #1. Or use the directly posted video in Post #10.

Did you know it had this MESS when you bought it? The first thing I do buying a used car is get the phone light in the valve cover oil fill port, and check the dipstick for varnishing. That looks to be quite the job you did.

I will be showing these two engines to my daughter, as to the outcome of an engine with a lack of oil change frequency. She is not one to be on top of things like this, after my best efforts trying to instill it in her.

Last edited:
Did you know it had this MESS when you bought it? The first thing I do buying a used car is get the phone light in the valve cover oil fill port, and check the dipstick for varnishing. That looks to be quite the job you did.
Nope. Car ran fine when I got it but was throwing timing codes saying the chain was sloppy.

I question using an "oil flush" product on an engine like that KIA as you run the risk of flooding the oil system with loose pieces of sludge. Scraping the inside of the oil pan and valve cover could also do this. In this video, the driver returned the car as the oil pressure light was on as a result of the oil pick up tube being plugged. I would tempted to just do may short oil n filter change intervals. Sludge stuck to the insides of the engine won't cause any harm.

Back