2009 Honda Odyssey Extensive Tune-Up (200,000+ Miles)

So, I have just acquired an '09 EX-L Ody and intend to do a super tune-up job myself before reselling it!

I've been researching for HOURS and this is what I'm planning on trying.
(I posted all the fluid change ideas in another thread)
Let me know your thoughts on this!

Here's the list in no specific order:

1. Install VCM Muzzler (VCM Tuner II)
2. Replace all 6 spark plugs with NGK Ruthenium HX
3. Install Dorman 42009 SP non-foulers
4. New PCV valve
5. New timing belt
6. New water pump
7. Replace air and oil filters
8. New ignition switch lock cylinder
9. New sliding door center rollers
10. Clean engine components such as the mass air flow sensor with carb cleaner
11. Check for other errors in the car and fix as needed

I have good knowledge of recent maintenance from before I received the car, so I'm only doing the other items.

If you're reselling it, I would skip the VCM Muzzler, the general public doesn't even know or care anything about that. Unless you're selling it to a family member and will see it again that is. Same with the non-foulers, if it isn't throwing a P0420/P0430 code, why bother?

If you're really that into doing the work, the oil pump is probably leaking by now and needs all new o-rings in that area, also it is probably due for a valve adjustment if it hasn't been done. The oil pump work requires the oil pan to come off along with the timing components, so during the timing belt job is a good time to do it if it is going to get done.

Last edited:
If you're reselling it, I would skip the VCM Muzzler, the general public doesn't even know or care anything about that. Unless you're selling it to a family member and will see it again that is. Same with the non-foulers, if it isn't throwing a P0420/P0430 code, why bother?

The VCM is literally what got the van in this shape to begin with! It's sending oil into the spark plug cylinders and causing misfires.
Honda should have never even installed a VCM on this vehicle to begin with!!!! I'm definitely going to install the muzzler because that's the main thing that'll fix this car.

If you're really that into doing the work, the oil pump is probably leaking by now and needs all new o-rings in that area, also it is probably due for a valve adjustment if it hasn't been done.

I found out all of that work was already done to it a little over a year ago so it should be fine.

Reactions: JC1
The VCM is literally what got the van in this shape to begin with! It's sending oil into the spark plug cylinders and causing misfires.
Honda should have never even installed a VCM on this vehicle to begin with!!!! I'm definitely going to install the muzzler because that's the main thing that'll fix this car.

The damage is already done, unfortunately. The muzzler isn't going to magically clean the ring packs, it might help them from getting worse, and over (a LONG) time they might get a smidge better, but if it is already using oil the only real fix is to re-ring the thing.

The damage is already done, unfortunately. The muzzler isn't going to magically clean the ring packs, it might help them from getting worse, and over (a LONG) time they might get a smidge better, but if it is already using oil the only real fix is to re-ring the thing.

This is where we'll have to disagree...
Installing the muzzler will 100% fix the issue! If you get a good one.
Following with an Italian tune-up and cleaning the oil compartment with BG EPR and oil change will make it practically brand new!
I'm serious about this! COUNTLESS people have been though this situation!
Take a look at this write-up: VCM Muzzler Explanation

Do you warranty the cars you flip ? While commendable, why do any repairs beyond repairing what's visibly broken ?

This is the first car I have flipped. I just wanted to save it from the junk yard so someone gave it to me.
It would be a private party sell so no, that doesn't matter.
I really just want to see how much I can improve it. Plus I don't want the new owner to have any issues too soon down the road.

I'd replace the tensioner and idler pulleys when you do the timing belt. Are you going with an Aisin kit? Might want to do the serpentine belt too. (Get a Bando)

This is where we'll have to disagree...
Installing the muzzler will 100% fix the issue! If you get a good one.
Following with an Italian tune-up and cleaning the oil compartment with BG EPR and oil change will make it practically brand new!
I'm serious about this! COUNTLESS people have been though this situation!
Take a look at this write-up: VCM Muzzler Explanation
As a tech that has re-ringed many of these engines, that article is somewhat laughable.

I've seen rings so stuck I couldn't get them away from the piston without breaking them even after soaking in solvents, some potion in the oil isn't going to do anything.

Maybe if caught really early it'll work over time, but if it's at the point of consuming oil there's likely no way around without teardown.

I'd replace the tensioner and idler pulleys when you do the timing belt. Are you going with an Aisin kit? Might want to do the serpentine belt too. (Get a Bando)

Yeah, I'm planning on ordering the Aisin kit from RockAuto.
The serpentine was replaced Dec '21 so it might be fine.

As a tech that has re-ringed many of these engines, that article is somewhat laughable.

I've seen rings so stuck I couldn't get them away from the piston without breaking them even after soaking in solvents, some potion in the oil isn't going to do anything.

Maybe if caught really early it'll work over time, but if it's at the point of consuming oil there's likely no way around without teardown.

Well, I guess we'll see who's laughing later...
I have enough proof to believe it'll work. Mechanics have quoted piston ring jobs on THIS car as well! But I know I'll be able to fix it another way.

Well, I guess we'll see who's laughing later...
I have enough proof to believe it'll work. Mechanics have quoted piston ring jobs on THIS car as well! But I know I'll be able to fix it another way.
Is it having vcm related issues? (Edit just saw your post that it was)
But simply replacing the spark plugs usually gets them down the road fine for another 10k-20k (sometimes more) miles so I'm not sure how you're going to baseline if your fix did anything.

I only work on these every day, I've heard all the stories of people saying they can fix it just to be back 6 months or so later to get the rings replaced.

Last edited:
Is it having vcm related issues?

Yes, but even if it wasn't then I would still install the muzzler either way.
It was oil getting into the spark plug cylinders causing misfires.

Simply replacing the spark plugs usually gets them down the road fine for another 10k-20k (sometimes more) miles so I'm not sure how you're going to baseline if your fix did anything.

For one, you could tell if the oil stops getting into the spark plugs...

I only work on these every day, I've heard all the stories of people saying they can fix it just to be back 6 months or so later to get the rings replaced.

I bet you don't have any experience even testing out VCM muzzlers at all and you don't know anybody who has.
You're one of the infamous mechanics they all talk about apparently. Your customers probably never heard of the muzzler either. Sad...
I really don't believe you even read that entire article...
And I read a lot of other people's experiences outside of what the article stated so I know it works.

Does Honda J series piston ring oil consumption differ from Toyota 2AZ piston ring oil consumption?

Because while I'm only one person, I had reasonable success freeing the rings in my nearly 300k 2AZ
How does VCM damage the rings on the affected J series engines?
I know disabling VCM seems to help, but what's the cause?
Would a better/thicker/more frequently changed oil mitigate the issue, even letting VCM continue to work?

I'm genuinely curious 🧐

Yes, but even if it wasn't then I would still install the muzzler either way.
It was oil getting into the spark plug cylinders causing misfires.

For one, you could tell if the oil stops getting into the spark plugs...

I bet you don't have any experience even testing out VCM muzzlers at all and you don't know anybody who has.
You're one of the infamous mechanics they all talk about apparently. Your customers probably never heard of the muzzler either. Sad...
I really don't believe you even read that entire article...
And I read a lot of other people's experiences outside of what the article stated so I know it works.
I'm not against the muzzler, I think they're great. Have put on a few for some good clients.

Like I said, a new clean spark plug will burn off the oil for a good long while, so unless you keep the car fairly long term you're not going to know.

Would a better/thicker/more frequently changed oil mitigate the issue, even letting VCM continue to work?

Nope... Read this article.
When VCM is active, it shuts off some of the cylinders and it sucks oil past the piston rings. You want to disable that and run it as a normal engine without ECO mode.

I'm not against the muzzler, I think they're great. Have put on a few for some good clients.

...But you don't believe it fixes those issues???
I agree, specific cars may have ruined piston rings, but I believe a muzzler will reverse it on most vehicles.

Like I said, a new clean spark plug will burn off the oil for a good long while, so unless you keep the car fairly long term you're not going to know.

Welp... I'll probably have it for a few months and drive it 24/7 so I don't know... At least I'll know I tried my best.

Does Honda J series piston ring oil consumption differ from Toyota 2AZ piston ring oil consumption?

Because while I'm only one person, I had reasonable success freeing the rings in my nearly 300k 2AZ
How does VCM damage the rings on the affected J series engines?

I'm genuinely curious 🧐
Don't necessarily need to go thicker but a more frequent oil change interval definitely helps. Most of the 3.5's that have issues are the ones that go long oci's, and the front head gets much hotter so it just gets baked into the control rings basically turning them into one piece.
The Toyotas didn't get quite as hot so the cleaning products work well. (Not saying they won't help the Honda but there is a point of no return)

Back