What to use for PS flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a machine at work that sucks out the oil fluid and replaces it with new fluid.

What is the best fluid to put into the PS?
Amsoil ATF
Brand PS fluid
Regular ATF
Valvoline Maxlife ATF

I'm not sure what works best in PS systems, so any advice is appreciated.

I went with Amsoil ATF - Love IT !

Brand PS fluid ? Is your system speced for ATF or PSF ?

Last edited:
Amsoil ATF, buy the way, what kind of vehicle is this since Amsoil now makes Powersteering Fluid or is your vehicle's powersteering speced for ATF.

I'm not sure. Its a 91 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3.1 V6
The manual says NOTHING about servicing the PS system other than top-ups. And it dosen't specify what to use, just how to fill the reservoir.

Last edited:
I'm using Amsoil PSF and it's great. My old stuff used to make the pump whine and in the winter it would make it even worse, now with the AMSOIL in there it's so quiet I can't hear it at all.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Any PSF that costs the least $, since your car is not worth more than $1k why spend big $ ?

Because it's my car, and I can't afford another. And it's in good condition, its worth about 2.5k and only has 138,000kms on it.
I don't mind spending 40-50 bucks on a service than couple hundred on a new pump.

I dont have any Amsoil PS fluid available to me.. what would work best of the options I gave?

It's available to you via their website, or if you live near Missisauga, ON you can pick it up at their wearhouse. Or use Amsoil ATF. I have this in my Tranny and it's much better at shifting and locking-up, so I would imagine it would do great in PSF application. On their website my car calls for ATF or PSF in my unit. I have used both, and like the performance of the ATF/PSF equally. I use PSF because it's a different colour than that ATF and helps me diagnose a leak should I have one.

It is recommended to run PS fluid in your car. Flush it out with a regular PS fluid and if you can get some Amsoil later, then go with that. Look at it this way, by the time you flush it the second time around it will be VERY clean and ready for a good synthetic!

Redline Power Steering fluid is my choice and it can be used in nearly all systems, look at the info on redlineoil.com and it lists all the specs it meets.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
Any PSF that costs the least $, since your car is not worth more than $1k why spend big $ ?

Because it's my car, and I can't afford another. And it's in good condition, its worth about 2.5k and only has 138,000kms on it.
I don't mind spending 40-50 bucks on a service than couple hundred on a new pump.

Excellent point. If in good overall condition, with no set of signs of nagging issues that will errode money, the car is worth what it costs to replace it.

One thing that folks from the MB diesel community found was that the cars were specced for ATF, but often got filled with MB PSF. When going back to ATF after long times of PSF use, they tended to leak. Say what you want about deposits, detergents, etc., I would stick with what has historically been in there if it is working well.

In my BMW, speced for dex II, I use M1 ATF with great results.

Maybe i'll flush it a couple times with Pennzoil PSF, I have a couple bottles sitting around. I guess ATF isn't the best idea, so i'll order some Amsoil PSF.

Not all PSF is the same. My PSF for my car specifically calls for PSF-2 or 3 and most off the shelf products don't meet this requirement and will cause the pump to whine... Amsoil does meet it, as I spoke to them.

... why spend big $ ?

The other thing to consider is that Canadian winters can be harsh on regular fluid, and the climate can force owners to use a synthetic fluid for cold flow properties. I know when the temperatures get crazy cold, my car's ps system can get arthritic, even though the fluid is regularly serviced.

My plan (that is now underway) is to do the Auto-Rx (1)ounce treatment followed by a "baster" flush over several weeks using regular 32 oz. of Prestone PS fluid. Then... another manual flush with Royal Purple synthetic Max-EZ.

So consider the Auto-Rx first - then go to your preferred fluid via the flush.

if the previous PS service is unknown, i'd go with a flush with Walmart or any cheap brand of PS fluid then an Auto Rx cleaning.

if you live in the cold interior of Canada, i'd followup with any of the brand name synthetic PS fluids mentioned that are avail in your area.
syn PS fluids flow so much easier on those on those -20d C and colder days
who wants a fluid starved whining howling PS pump and a steering wheel that turns like a Mack truck?

only other advantage to syn. PS fluids is longer service periods. double the manuf. suggested service period. PS system will last just as long with manuf spec'd CLEAN FRESH PS fluid as a syn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back