What to use for PS flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the other brands aren't available, GM has a "cold weather" semi-syn or synthetic PS fluid. I imagine your nearest dealer would stock it.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead
if the previous PS service is unknown, i'd go with a flush with Walmart or any cheap brand of PS fluid then an Auto Rx cleaning.

if you live in the cold interior of Canada, i'd followup with any of the brand name synthetic PS fluids mentioned that are avail in your area.
syn PS fluids flow so much easier on those on those -20d C and colder days
who wants a fluid starved whining howling PS pump and a steering wheel that turns like a Mack truck?

only other advantage to syn. PS fluids is longer service periods. double the manuf. suggested service period. PS system will last just as long with manuf spec'd CLEAN FRESH PS fluid as a syn.
I like the Peterbuilt ps feeling better.

How often do you guys service the PS Fluid? This really isn't a service that is stressed much, and I know for a fact that my PS fluid has never been flushed. I know the reservoir was drained and refilled with ATF when the timing belt was done right before I bought the car, but even that was like 15,000 miles ago and over a year ago.

I don't know what was originally in my car, it had ATF when I bought it though. Would I benefit from switching back to PSF?

They have a Maxlife power steering fluid with stop leak to help condition the seals. That might be a good bet.

Most people never service the PS and it works fine for the life of the car. I would say a car nut would change it every 30,000 or so.

Last edited:
You guys are going to think I'm extreme but I'll tell this anyway.
When I change the engine oil I use a little vacuum pump I have to change the power steering and brake fluid in the reservior.
I got this thing against brown power steering or brake fluid.

Every time a change engine oil I use a turkey baster and draw out the oil in the PS pump and brake reservior. Refill pump with M1 ATF and use Valvo syn brake fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back