What to do with my Honda....

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I remember: light oil burning more--rings, heavy oil--blow by/PVC issue.
Try 40 than 50, than 60. If you not going to do ring job. You can find 10w-60 oils and 0w-50, which should be fine for cold starts, but expensive.
Try kreen piston soak(more power than MMO) first--your rings might be still stuck/gummed up.

Last edited:
Would amsoil power foam work? maybe seafoam? I do want to wait for kreen, this is my only week of rest on the car...

Power Foam for a spray in soak/top-end cleaning will help clean out the Intake Manifold in the process at least and it could probably stand a piston soak, afterward.

If you try MMO for the piston soak with moderate success it would DEFINITELY be worth-while to soak with Kreen there after. Try MMO first since it's so cheap.

After those things, a soak with Power Foam(drive it out after) and then piston soak via spark plug holes(you know the process?), definitely change the oil after either of those(or after doing both if not driving much between those methods of attacking top-end.

IMO, try going over to some Rotella T5 10w-30 afterward to see if consumption is helped.

Last edited:
Power Foam cleans mainly Throttle and intake. You can try seafoam 1/3 to gas 1/3 thru vacuum line and 1/3 to oil with addition of 0.5 quart of kerosene. Run cold engine for 10-15 min on idle then drain. Do not let engine to heat up, so maybe 5 min, depends on you car. But if you can get Amsoil engine flush, or LM Pro line flush (at NAPA) locally it will work better in crankcase then Seafoam, then use 2/3 thru vacuum line.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Power Foam cleans mainly Throttle and intake. You can try seafoam 1/3 to gas 1/3 thru vacuum line and 1/3 to oil with addition of 0.5 quart of kerosene. Run cold engine for 10-15 min on idle then drain. Do not let engine to heat up, so maybe 5 min, depends on you car. But if you can get Amsoil engine flush, or LM Pro line flush (at NAPA) locally it will work better in crankcase then Seafoam, then use 2/3 thru vacuum line.

I disagree. Power Foam, when used correctly, can cleaned top-end some. Not as good as a piston soak, though.

I didn't say it will not. I said it mainly cleans throttle and intake manifold. It doesn't mean it is not reaching the rest of parts. If it does, sure it will clean up carbon. Heck, even water cleans carbon out.

^Gotcha, not trying to be contrary. Clear is good.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: blmlozz
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Valve stem seals.

agreed. At a quart every 1K miles, there's no oil that's going to magiclly slow it down significantly. You need to look into a small re-seal or rebuild. Check compression and PCV/ check valves as suggested.

Being he's a broke college student, how about he just drives it and adds a qt. every thousand for the nest 100,000 miles or so? I agree with going with a dino or high mileage oil to try to slow the oil useage.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: blmlozz
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Valve stem seals.

agreed. At a quart every 1K miles, there's no oil that's going to magiclly slow it down significantly. You need to look into a small re-seal or rebuild. Check compression and PCV/ check valves as suggested.

Being he's a broke college student, how about he just drives it and adds a qt. every thousand for the nest 100,000 miles or so? I agree with going with a dino or high mileage oil to try to slow the oil useage.

Agreed... Apparently many BITOG members are going to be surprised to find there are no miracle fixes for worn components...

In case anyone missed my post I have done 2 seafoam oil treatments an and an amsoil engine flush on this civic, it helped consumption some, but I think this is about as good as I am going to get it. I', going to do 1 more seafoam treatment, then put in the 10w30 max life.

I think the Max Life is a good choice. I'd try some T5 eventually, though, just the see if it could help with consumption any. At least next summer anyway.

Adding something like SeaFoam does 'some' cleaning while driving(the question is where at the most?) and idle engine flushes(like the Amsoil product) before draining isn't a bad idea, but a piston soak is totally different, IMO, because it's a direct attack at the suspected problem area. If the rings are shot something like MMO soaking over-night, with manual turning of the engine and expelling properly before driving(though some will probably drain into the pan/crankshaft area if the rings are really shot...it may actually do 'something'. I don't think it would hurt the car at this point, MMO isn't aggressive enough to destroy the engine this way, IMO.

I didn't add the fact that I also did a MMO piston soak for 24hrs, didn't change consumption. I will likely do another one and a flush tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I didn't add the fact that I also did a MMO piston soak for 24hrs, didn't change consumption. I will likely do another one and a flush tomorrow.

Hmm, maybe I just missed or am not remember your experience in particular. Apologies. Sounds like you are doing about as much as can be expected for this car. It's good to keep talking through possibilities. Sticking with a HM oil isn't a bad idea, IMO.

Seafoam never did anything for me. MMO had some temporary results, trying kreen soon. So far the best results have been Mobil 1 high mileage oil.

^You know, if one HM oil doesn't work for you trying another for at least 2 or 3 OCIs(or 10,000 miles IMO is a standard for 'trying' one) perhaps you'll get a change in consumption.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^You know, if one HM oil doesn't work for you trying another for at least 2 or 3 OCIs(or 10,000 miles IMO is a standard for 'trying' one) perhaps you'll get a change in consumption.

Exactly how it went for me. 2nd OCI consumption dropped substantially. Now after 4, I can go 7k without adding anything. Goes down less than 1/2 quart, so i dont bother topping off.

Changed out the m1 for maxlife 10w30 today, I will report back with the consumption on my 100 mile trip back to school Monday.

Just did about 200 miles with it, and it burned maybe 1/8th-1/6th a quart only, and the engine runs nicely with maxlife so nice that I went out and bought some more for the next OCI, hopefully it turns my consumption for the better, it already looks like it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back