Amazon Basics

I would like to try Amazon Basics 0W20 in a Honda, but shocked that it is not at or near the bottom of the price scale. It has no-name packaging, and the “basics” name. Their price today is around $43 for six quarts. So roughly $35-36 for the five quart equivalent. All kinds of excellent Quaker State, Castrol, Pennzoil products are available for less than $30. It’s unfortunate, as my YouTube research makes it pretty clear that it is a great competitor, except in price.

Nothing wrong with Amazon Basics oil. It's a Warren product, so same as Walmart Supertech, Kirkland, etc.

Only issue with it, as you said, is the price. You can get a 5qt jug at Walmart for $18.98. Same as Quaker State synthetic right now. For the price Amazon is charging, much better choices out there.

There is nothing exceptional about Amazon Basics oil, or even any of the "Basics" line of products from Amazon.
Unless there is a fairly stout sale associated with the product in question, I've found the name brand product to be a better value.

You're paying a premium for the convenience of buying it on Amazon. That said, you can always use Walmart and ship Supertech to your home for cheaper. Or wait til your next Costco run and pick some up. But many people just buy on Amazon for convenience and assuming the pricing is competitive (because it used to be) so they don't even shop around. At that price, you can pick up the store brand oil and filter special at the local auto parts store for the same or less money than the Amazon offering.

Nothing wrong with Amazon Basics oil. It's a Warren product, so same as Walmart Supertech, Kirkland, etc.

Only issue with it, as you said, is the price. You can get a 5qt jug at Walmart for $18.98. Same as Quaker State synthetic right now. For the price Amazon is charging, much better choices out there.
I need to go to Walmart today!

You're paying a premium for the convenience of buying it on Amazon. That said, you can always use Walmart and ship Supertech to your home for cheaper. Or wait til your next Costco run and pick some up. But many people just buy on Amazon for convenience and assuming the pricing is competitive (because it used to be) so they don't even shop around. At that price, you can pick up the store brand oil and filter special at the local auto parts store for the same or less money than the Amazon offering.
Not really. Amazon has a great overall record of providing excellent, sometimes the lowest pricing of the mainstream brands. Admittedly, Walmart also does well on this vector, too. My point is that when "Basics" is at a 50-60% premium over Quaker State full syn, there is just no chance!

I would like to try Amazon Basics 0W20 in a Honda, but shocked that it is not at or near the bottom of the price scale. It has no-name packaging, and the “basics” name. Their price today is around $43 for six quarts. So roughly $35-36 for the five quart equivalent. All kinds of excellent Quaker State, Castrol, Pennzoil products are available for less than $30. It’s unfortunate, as my YouTube research makes it pretty clear that it is a great competitor, except in price.
Well nearly the same oil and usually cheaper Costco's Kirkland Brand if you're a member.

Yep, one should never assume that Amazon is always the cheapest. In fact, in many cases they are not.
Yes when buying replacement parts I recommend cross-shopping Amazon, Rockauto, eBay, Summit, etc if you have the time and patience. It appears the local chain stores have given up on competing on price and are there to supply things you must have that day at 20-30 percent more than the best internet price numbers. Which is a bit sad because I have an O'Reilly store and huge warehouse a couple miles down the road.

Amazon has taken-on so much debt opening all these Distribution Centers - adding thousands of delivery trucks and a host of large Food Centers.

As a result, their Amazon name-brand products are not good buys anymore, unless they are on clearance.

Amazon has taken-on so much debt opening all these Distribution Centers - adding thousands of delivery trucks and a host of large Food Centers.

As a result, their Amazon name-brand products are not good buys anymore, unless they are on clearance.
I'm not sure. For oil, anyway, I would think that most folks buying from Amazon would be cross-shopping other brands. I suspect that Amazon has reasons for selling this product, but perhaps they are just as happy, or almost as happy, selling competitive products. I like Amazon's own brand in general, and I especially like Amazon's picks, which might not be the absolute best deal, but are always dependable, fair, solid.

I had a fleeting thought that maybe Amazon had skipped a step and had missed how expensive their product was, but there's almost no possibility of that, with that company. If correct, it suggests that Amazon is comfortable selling whatever they can, participating in the Agora, at their price.

Amazon sells oil now?

Is it drop shipped from China?

I am not sure I would even trust a VOA. They can simply add the elements instead of the actual additives.

Its old news, like 5 years old news. Did you even read the comments above? There are plenty of UOAs and VOAs for it. Search before posting might benefit you in the future.

Back