What to do with capers?

My wife bought some (kind of weird what's she's being ordering online for home delivery) nonpareil capers and she didn't know exactly what to do with them. I tried adding them to salads and even fried rice just to give it a different flavor. I've seen them added to bagels and cream cheese with smoked salmon. Maybe with pickled onions too.

We ran out of them and I found Target has them pretty cheap.

Reminds me of a radio commercial from years ago ridiculing how much stuff people bought at warehouse stores just for the sake of buying it. Apparently they had some line about someone buying a gallon jar of capers, and then asking the interviewer if he needed any.

I'm trying to place exact what they smell like. The liquid seems to be decent to use just to add flavor. It smells faintly like turpentine but in a good way. Maybe closer to acetone?

I don't use capers but I have had them in food. I guess that if you like their flavor, you can put'em on anything.
I guess that you use them like any spice/seasoning in small qty, added to food.
They always remind me of rat droppings.

My wife bought some (kind of weird what's she's being ordering online for home delivery) nonpareil capers and she didn't know exactly what to do with them. I tried adding them to salads and even fried rice just to give it a different flavor. I've seen them added to bagels and cream cheese with smoked salmon. Maybe with pickled onions too.

We ran out of them and I found Target has them pretty cheap.

Reminds me of a radio commercial from years ago ridiculing how much stuff people bought at warehouse stores just for the sake of buying it. Apparently they had some line about someone buying a gallon jar of capers, and then asking the interviewer if he needed any.

I'm trying to place exact what they smell like. The liquid seems to be decent to use just to add flavor. It smells faintly like turpentine but in a good way. Maybe closer to acetone?
You can use them with Salmon, Char and other fatty fish.

I absolutely love capers, my wife on the other hand hates them with a passion. Whenever I do use them for anything, I usually eat a tablespoon or two out of the jar before I put the lid back on.

Pasta and rice dishes are the simple things they can be added to though without overpowering all the other flavors.

I absolutely love capers, my wife on the other hand hates them with a passion. Whenever I do use them for anything, I usually eat a tablespoon or two out of the jar before I put the lid back on.

Pasta and rice dishes are the simple things they can be added to though without overpowering all the other flavors.

How do you manage that? A 3.5 oz jar looks like it's about 4 tablespoons and mine would be gone in no time. Now a quart jar might be something different.

403fa779fe9654ab4437fab31c8c282bcb95db7a61f6e304ee5f93422681d4bd

How do you manage that? A 3.5 oz jar looks like it's about 4 tablespoons and mine would be gone in no time. Now a quart jar might be something different.

403fa779fe9654ab4437fab31c8c282bcb95db7a61f6e304ee5f93422681d4bd
I would guess the jars I get are about a quart, maybe a little less from ALDI. I used to have smaller jars when I shopped at Stop&Shop, and I adjusted my bite sizes to suit

Capers are a great. They are generally an ingredient or used as a spice or garnish with various types of seafood, lemon-flavored sauces, and go well with blander types of cheeses and with cheese dips. I can't believe someone would use the brine for anything. I usually rinse and pat dry capers because they are so overly salty. And no, you just don't eat capers by the spoonful. There's a reason why they mostly come in small jars. The typical small jar lasts me a couple weeks.

Back