What do you do with your beef bone tallow?

Bought some bones to make broth. Blanch for 20 mins then pressure cooked for 4 hours, got a layer of fat that I took out after refrigeration. It is probably about 5-6 oz? I use some to sear my chuck roast before braising and some to fry my potatoes and tofu before turning them into a curry.

I can see that if I continue to cook like the way I do, I will eventually have more tallow than I can use, so I can either find a way to use those fat with lean beef, or find new ways to use them. What do you guys do with yours? Burn them on wood / charcoal to get some flavor on your grill? french fries? gravies?

Trash it.

I just made chill this past weekend and I always drain the ground beef through a wire mesh into a steel bowl. Tossed the fat in the trash.

Bought some bones to make broth. Blanch for 20 mins then pressure cooked for 4 hours, got a layer of fat that I took out after refrigeration. It is probably about 5-6 oz? I use some to sear my chuck roast before braising and some to fry my potatoes and tofu before turning them into a curry.

I can see that if I continue to cook like the way I do, I will eventually have more tallow than I can use, so I can either find a way to use those fat with lean beef, or find new ways to use them. What do you guys do with yours? Burn them on wood / charcoal to get some flavor on your grill? french fries? gravies?
Yes you can use it for cooking - well if it's from grass fed (and organic) beef.

People have an irrational fear of animal fats and slurp up nasty seed oils and consume massive quantities of sugar.

Using a ham bone (gift from a neighbor) resulted in the silkiest soup imaginable. It was AA+. I've done it now 5 times.

Doing the same with a beef bone, while something I haven't done, is equally appealing.

It may 'hurt' to toss excess fat, just remember, the food industry has tallow and bone collectors as a major cog.
Collection trucks from Standard Tallow in Newark, NJ were commonly seen at every store with a meat department.

I'd love to know their "product line". I bet some renderings go to the soap/cosmetics industry. I wouldn't be surprised if they create products to sell back to the food industry.

Yes you can use it for cooking - well if it's from grass fed (and organic) beef.

People have an irrational fear of animal fats and slurp up nasty seed oils and consume massive quantities of sugar.
Well of course you can use it for cooking like people use Chicken fat but the question is should you when there are healthier alternatives (ex, Olive Oil). Cooking a meal with animal fat which likely contains an animal protein is just piling on excess calories and saturated fats.

It's a bid disingenuous to suggest that the alternative to cooking with animal fat is seed oils w/sugar.

Well of course you can use it for cooking like people use Chicken fat but the question is should you when there are healthier alternatives (ex, Olive Oil). Cooking a meal with animal fat which likely contains an animal protein is just piling on excess calories and saturated fats.

It's a bid disingenuous to suggest that the alternative to cooking with animal fat is seed oils w/sugar.
Olive oil is great, nothing wrong with it. But beef fat can withstand higher temperature.

How is beef fat unhealthy? Saturated fat scares are created mainly by the seed oil industry and uniformed doctors.

All fats/oils have the same calories per weight. I'm not saying drink/eat the fat. Assume the same amount of absorption, coating.

Processed seed oils are terrible. Agree. Way way worse than beef fat.

Sugar is terrible. Agree.

Olive oil is great, nothing wrong with it. But beef fat can withstand higher temperature.

How is beef fat unhealthy? Saturated fat scares are created mainly by the seed oil industry and uniformed doctors.

All fats/oils have the same calories per weight. I'm not saying drink/eat the fat. Assume the same amount of absorption, coating.

Processed seed oils are terrible. Agree. Way way worse than beef fat.

Sugar is terrible. Agree.
Avocado oil or clarified butter can be substituted for beef tallow as they both have the same or higher smoke point and a better fat profile. Obviously beef tallow for certain things does taste better. No denying that, but for everyday cooking, IMO it's a strong pass.

I make clarified butter at home and keep it in a glass jar in the fridge however we rarely use such high heat that olive oil can't be used.

Last edited:
I eat it. When on a low carb diet, fats are good for you. In our household, we only eat animal fats and olive oil. A lot of olive oil. And a lot of butter.

Avocado oil or clarified butter can be substituted for beef tallow as they both have the same or higher smoke point and a better fat profile. Obviously beef tallow for certain things does taste better. No denying that, but for everyday cooking, IMO it's a strong pass.

I make clarified butter at home and keep it in a glass jar in the fridge. We almost never use such high heat that olive oil can't be used.
Me too on most everything you wrote. But compare the fat profile of butter and beef fat. It's very interesting.

That said I maybe only save and use beef fat 2-3 times a year - my main point is beef fat is not some scary substance.

I am fully aware of the health concern of tallow and lard, as well as chicken fat, just looking at how it solidify in the fridge will tell you that right away. Regarding to whether I should use it or not, my opinion is everything in moderation and how often you use it.

I would add some to my frying pan to sear a dry chunk of beef and braise to add flavor. I don't see it being any different than having a slice of beef with more marble to be honest, either inside the meat or outside of a leaner cut slow cooked. Sure I can braise a piece of steak with butter but it is a different kind of flavor and it is still fat. So I don't see using a small amount of tallow I already have in small portion as evil.

Obviously I don't think it is the same thing as olive oil, butter, or avocado oil, just like almond milk is not the same thing as dairy milk. When I ask initially I was looking to see if anyone has another use or food hack for it, maybe like find a way to "inject / infuse" it into some lean beef and use it to substitute for meat with more marble texture, or use it instead of butter for a roux, or drip them on wood and charcoal to get some of the grill flavor into the meat on the grill, etc.

All fats/oils have the same calories per weight.
Interestingly Butter has fewer calories

1oz (28g each)

1698093553603.jpg

If you have rendered beef tallow you can use it anywhere you would use Olive Oil for cooking. Personally I have used it for Potatoes, Vegetables..etc it provides a different flavor profile than butter or olive oil, so just to change it up.

For leaner meats some people have used injectors to add fat but I don't think that's a good use for tallow. If you are smoking a brisket or anything that you wrap up you can add to the meat before wrapping it up.

Interestingly Butter has fewer calories

1oz (28g each)

View attachment 184872

Good point. I should have written "PURE fat(s)..........." Butter has some water and milk solids, etc.

From the AHA "There are nine calories in every gram of fat, regardless of what type of fat it is."

Tallo and pork fat is really tasty and much healthier that processed oils.

Back