What one oil would you pick if only one could be had?

We ask this question from time to time about everything... Like:

If you could only have one car, what would it be?
If you could only have one pair of shoes, what would they be?
If you could only have one meal, what would it be?
Etc...

Well, if you could only have one engine oil, what would it be?
M1 Euro 0w40 works in everything I own

That’s the only opinion I can give without hurting some feelings even though the company has earned its praise

I have two vehicles. First is a 97 Ford F-150. One oil in it for the rest of its life would be Valvoline 5w20. With that it gets what I find on sale for now. My wife's 2023 RAV4 has Mobil1 0w16. That is pretty much the only oil I can find locally in the 0w16 grade. If I could find some QS or Pennzoil for the RAV4 I would use that.

Reactions: Yuk
Come spring the following will all have Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W30 in them . 2023 Challenger SXT 3.6, 2022 RAM Classic 1500 3.6, 2019 Charger SXT 3.6.

If price were no issue, I would choose one of the 5w30's that are rated for the modern turbo diesels. Those low SAPS oils are very robust and will run in anything, usually rated to run 10k to 20k miles.

But if you are talking about a situation where you get you biggest bang for your buck.......

Already did it two years ago... I sensed that oil price would be on the increase and there could be nasty supply chain issues....

So on Walmart.Com I ordered 6 cases (total of 18 gallons, 72 quarts) of SuperTech 15w40.... for $8.98 a gallon or 2.25 a quart, shipped free.

I own a mix of auto's that are gas and diesel. This oil will work in everything I own... down to my generator and lawn mower.

I haven't used any of it... it is sitting on the Prepper Shelf... waiting for the SHTF....

I just hope an EMP doesn't 'brick' everything I own.

Last edited:
If price were no issue, I would choose one of the 5w30's that are rated for the modern turbo diesels. Those low SAPS oils are very robust and will run in anything, usually rated to run 10k to 20k miles.

But if you are talking about a situation where you get you biggest bang for your buck.......
Cost doesn't matter in this discussion, only maximum versatility.

Back