What one oil would you pick if only one could be had?

For me it would be Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40, all my stuff could run on it, gas and diesel, well not the 4 wheelers.

I've got Pennzoil Euro LX in my 6.0 gas Chevy right now. Same oil and great for cold starts but yet has a bit more kinematic viscosity than the non-Euro Pennzoil Platinum. If there are no more Pennzoil rebates in Canada, I may go to the Motomaster product.
I was hoping to go the Pennzoil route too, but as you said, there are no rebates right now. The next Pennzoil sale starts on February 8th at CT, but even at 25% off it is still $5.00 a jug more expensive than Motomaster 0W30 on sale.

Pennzoil flyer.jpg

I was hoping to go the Pennzoil route too, but as you said, there are no rebates right now. The next Pennzoil sale starts on February 8th at CT, but even at 25% off it is still $5.00 a jug more expensive than Motomaster 0W30 on sale.

View attachment 202197
Good old Canadian Tire has moved the regular price of Pennzoil synthetic oil past $50 CDN for 5 liters. Inflation I guess.

Good old Canadian Tire has moved the regular price of Pennzoil synthetic oil past $50 CDN for 5 liters. Inflation I guess.
Yup! But, I think oil has taken a particularly hard hit though.

I remember in 1984 my dad showing me a case of Castrol GTX he scored for a $1 a quart. Converted to 2023 dollars, that's $2.58.

Today, a 5L jug of GTX at CT, will set you back $6.60/L + enviro fee... and that's 20% off the regular jug price! ... Thanks Justin!

Last edited:
We ask this question from time to time about everything... Like:

If you could only have one car, what would it be?
If you could only have one pair of shoes, what would they be?
If you could only have one meal, what would it be?
Etc...

Well, if you could only have one engine oil, what would it be?
Kirkland 5w30

Kirkland 5w30
Good stuff, I just don't think I would use it as my "one and done" oil. Doesn't meet enough approvals for me.

The best sale price I've ever seen for the Kirkland oil is $4.23 CDN/litre. I've discovered that I can buy Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 for about $5.50 CDN, twice a year at Canadian Tire. The Pennzoil seems like a better value, for me at least.

We ask this question from time to time about everything... Like:

If you could only have one car, what would it be?
If you could only have one pair of shoes, what would they be?
If you could only have one meal, what would it be?
Etc...

Well, if you could only have one engine oil, what would it be?
Car? My Accord or Accord Diesel ,9th gen
Shoes? Duty Boots 👢 or Hokas
Food? Flat Iron Steak with mashed potatoes 🥔, steamed broccoli 🥦, Garden Salad 🥗 with Italian dressing and 4 glasses 💧.
Lube? 5w30 Redline or 0w30

• Love
Reactions: Yuk
Back