What old SUV to buy

It seems like I am always asking for advise lately. My problem is I have a small 14' jon boat on trailer and a lake in a Wildlife Management area. The 8 miles to the lake are filled with potholes, big potholes, hairpin turns, a very narrow gravel and dirt road and a few steep climbs. I have been using my Ram 1500 to get there but my truck is a quad cab long bed and I have kept it in real nice shape. I have to move so far to the outside of the curves that I am dragging branches and the trailer wheels are still falling off the side of the road. It takes me 40 min to go 8 miles so that gives you an idea of the road condition. I swear the boat spends more time in the air than actually on the trailer.
So I decided to get myself an older beater just for fishing, If you were in the market for a 20 year old vehicle like an explorer or cherokee or any other suggestions what would you be looking at. I know at this age the owner is more important than the vehicle, but I am thinking ease of repairs, cost of parts, major weaknesses like trannies. I dont expect to put more than 1k or 2k a year on it but it will be in remote areas so I need it to start and go and it needs to be midsized to compact. The boat and trailer with all my equipment does not top 600 lbs if that so it just needs to have a tow rating with more ground clearance than a sedan.

An old small truck with a manual trany and 4WD for when the roads are muddy, could tow 600 Lbs with no problem at all. Some of those old small trucks were narrow. And the old small Toyotas just run and run. Some of the others are also good. But before you buy any truck check how much the insurance will cost you.

For some reason I didnt even think of the mini trucks. I guess I use to see so many of them completely rusted out I figured none survived. I will add them to my search.
Norman- Thanks for the leads, I have been searching craigslist and the prices are crazy for the mileage. All of them are 180k and up. I dont know why but when a 90's early 2000's american car gets close to 200k I figure they are about played out. It looks like Auto Trader people are more realistic.

maybe an old jeep grand cherokee, Japanese vehicles would be preferable but they are hard to get and cost premium bucks even in bad condition. check out auto auctions

Tracker/Vitara's would work well. Narrow with a short wheelbase, body on frame, rwd/4wd with low range. I regret selling my 2003 and even it was very narrow and the older ones are narrower still. Probably best to stick with the 4 cyl as its pretty simple and you have lots of space under the hood.

I like me some gen 1 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, ZJ ftw, if you can find one that has any life left in it. its WJ successor can be pretty solid too, though the seating isn’t nearly as good IMO. These are pretty cheap nowadays, but they will require care.

gen 1 liberties have some off-road prowess and are probably coming down in price. I think SUV’s in general will be priced better than trucks right now.

4x4 extended cab ranger with the longer wheelbase are a nice way to go.

subaru outback or forester would have no issue with pulling the Jon boat. Both look kinda cool with a mild lift too.

What happens if you break down 5 miles down the trail with the 20 year old vehicle? No way I'd wanna go into the wilderness towing a trailer with a 20 year old Ford Explorer, Blazer... .

What happens if you break down 5 miles down the trail with the 20 year old vehicle? No way I'd wanna go into the wilderness towing a trailer with a 20 year old Ford Explorer, Blazer... .
I feel like everything under 20 (maybe 15) years old is to nice to take into the woods.. haha I'd think s10, explorer, pathfinder, passport, rodeo would all be fine choices and I'd pick based on condition of whichever I could find..

. I dont expect to put more than 1k or 2k a year on it but it will be in remote areas so I need it to start and go and it needs to be midsized to compact. The boat and trailer with all my equipment does not top 600 lbs if that so it just needs to have a tow rating with more ground clearance than a sedan.

Given the low miles get an old Dodge, repairs and other nonsense aren’t that expensive but are more often than other trucks.

However in a rarely used scenario that is where a old Dodge makes sense because sitting will not make it unrunnable and most repairs can just be ignored until the thing rusts apart

I have an 01 5.2 Dodge that runs similar service, once you get the intake and other failures fixed it’s good enough and if you want to save maintenance get a stick shift 2wd locker.

Mine is automatic and it burns my rear everyday I didn’t pay the extra cost to get a stick.

My 1997 Explorer SOHC is a pain to work on, but has been a great truck. It's coming up on 225k and runs/drives/operates like it has half the miles or less. I haven't towed with it, but it's properly equipped and I think would be far more competent than the 3.0 Ranger I've towed a lot with.

91-94 Explorers are my thing. I wanted to buy a 94 Eddie Bauer 2 door 4WD out of town this week but it looks like the seller is flaking out/can't communicate. Had a big ass Nissan van with car trailer and cash in hand ready to go, but so it goes. Was going to tow it with the '97 Explorer, but I won't pass up free use of the big ass 5.6L Nissan van.

Be prepared for sketchy/weird sellers. People can be pretty weird these days.

Xterras are overlooked. The first gen really had no issues but need a timing belt every 110k and the 3.3 is a bit gutless. Gen 2s 2005 to 2009 had the radiator/tranny cooler problem that should be long fixed by now and a 4.0 with a timing chain.

A 2000 Cherokee would be ideal but they're sought after.

Back